Amazon Warehouse Sent Me An EVGA 850 GQ When I Ordered An EVGA 1000 P6

nick name

So I initially ordered an EVGA 1000 G6, but when the delivery date got pushed back I ordered a "Like New" EVGA 1000 P6 from Amazon Warehouse that would be delivered next day.  I didn't immediately cancel my other order for the G6 as I wanted to get the P6 before I did.  Well the delivery was actually next day which was great, but someone had returned an EVGA 850 GQ in the EVGA 1000 P6 box.  And Amazon didn't inspect the return to catch that.  So while that is terrible it also makes me question whether Amazon Warehouse's item descriptions are actually accurate.   

So when I discovered the swapped out product I contacted Amazon immediately.  The rep on the phone failed to understand what I was saying when I tried to tell them the item I received was swapped out by a previous customer.  I wanted it noted so that I wouldn't be blamed when I sent the item back.  And after asking for a supervisor there was initial push-back until eventually they told me I would receive a call back from a supervisor.  I did not receive that call back.

Needing to make others aware of the risk when ordering from Amazon Warehouse I used a product review to share my experience.  I only spoke about my experience and not the product so an Amazon Moderator didn't allow my review.  Which I kind of get, but I believe the warning to others about my experience made sense in the product review as it spoke to what may happen when ordering that particular item.

Well after I received the message that my product review wouldn't be posted I also received a message that my EVGA 1000 G6 was arriving early and then changed to undeliverable.  Coincidence or a weird form of retribution?  I don't know, but it's suspicious.

I have since placed another order for the EVGA 1000 G6 and we'll see if that actually happens.  

This whole experience has soured me to buying electronics from Amazon Warehouse.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

And Amazon didn't inspect the return to catch that.  So while that is terrible it also makes me question whether Amazon Warehouse's item descriptions are actually accurate.

I have no first hand experience, but from what I read it is a common problem. They probably looked at it and saw a PSU in there and called it a day. The working conditions at amazon are poor, so I would also take their descriptions with a grain of salt.  

Nobody processing returns for Amazon knows anything about PC parts. Looking in the box and seeing there was a power supply in there of some type is probably the limit of what they're capable of. You can't really expect the people doing this job to have specialized knowledge of every category of item they process, and it's also unfeasible for Amazon to hire specialized return handlers for every category of item. 

Speaking to a supervisor was probably not necessary. Simply putting "Inaccurate website description" as the reason for your return would have done the job. You can return stuff on Amazon for basically any reason, which is how stuff like this happens to begin with, you didn't need to explain the situation in detail.

Almost certainly what happened is that someone got a "free" upgrade by ordering the 1000W unit, sticking their old 850W unit in the box, and then starting a return. It's happened with other stuff like GPU's. Unless you think it's likely that they have a whole crate of 1000W G6's that all actually contain 850W GQ's in them, then warning people about your experience also doesn't really make much sense. That being the case, I can understand why they didn't post your review. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, merco said:

I have no first hand experience, but from what I read it is a common problem. They probably looked at it and saw a PSU in there and called it a day. The working conditions at amazon are poor, so I would also take their descriptions with a grain of salt.  

Honestly, them even opening the box could be a stretch.  I remember a few years ago, ChaseOnTwoWheels got had MULTIPLE times from Amazon scammers. Ordered a pro level DSLR and was shipped a box of rocks 2 or 3 times, all shrink wrapped and everything. As long as there is weight in the box, no one cares.

I've been lucky to not have too many problems with Amazon, but I do try to limit what I order from them

I get screwed up Amazon stuff all of the time.

People return random stuff and Amazon just chucks them on the shelves for someone else to figure out.

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Nobody processing returns for Amazon knows anything about PC parts. Looking in the box and seeing there was a power supply in there of some type is probably the limit of what they're capable of. You can't really expect the people doing this job to have specialized knowledge of every category of item they process, and it's also unfeasible for Amazon to hire specialized return handlers for every category of item. 

Speaking to a supervisor was probably not necessary. Simply putting "Inaccurate website description" as the reason for your return would have done the job. You can return stuff on Amazon for basically any reason, which is how stuff like this happens to begin with, you didn't need to explain the situation in detail.

Almost certainly what happened is that someone got a "free" upgrade by ordering the 1000W unit, sticking their old 850W unit in the box, and then starting a return. It's happened with other stuff like GPU's. Unless you think it's likely that they have a whole crate of 1000W G6's that all actually contain 850W GQ's in them, then warning people about your experience also doesn't really make much sense. That being the case, I can understand why they didn't post your review. 

The PSU in the box literally states on it what it is.  And that doesn't match the box it's in.  You don't need to be anything but literate to inspect that return.  

And I wanted to speak with a supervisor because the person I was speaking to failed to understand my request.  That request being a remark on my account explaining my situation so that I wouldn't be blamed for the return of a different item.

And I understand why they didn't post my review, but my attempt to warn people does make sense as Amazon Warehouse fails to properly inspect the returns they receive.  So ordering from Amazon Warehouse may be unreliable.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

7 minutes ago, nick name said:

And I wanted to speak with a supervisor because the person I was speaking to failed to understand my request.  That request being a remark on my account explaining my situation so that I wouldn't be blamed for the return of a different item.

Based on your experience, what makes you think they would notice if you returned a different item? 

Again, there is a "Website description inaccurate" option you can pick in the dropdown for your return reason, and then a text box to fill in explaining what was inaccurate. 

I get that you're frustrated, but you didn't really lose anything, it isn't news that this happens, and it's not going to change. It's the negative side to being able to return stuff to Amazon without them making a peep if you just change your mind. And then those items you changed your mind about sometimes end up being a really good deal for someone else when they end up on Amazon Warehouse. On the whole Amazon's return policies and AH are more of a boon to consumers than a bane. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, nick name said:

That seems reasonable to me, though I would recommend doing that through email so that you have a paper trail and can prove that you informed them of the issue just in case it comes back on you later. 

You also don't want Amazon just putting it back on the shelf to be sold to the next unsuspecting person. Eventually somebody who doesn't know the difference will receive it and just keep it, unknowingly getting ripped off.

31 minutes ago, nick name said:

I have since placed another order for the EVGA 1000 G6 and we'll see if that actually happens.  

This whole experience has soured me to buying electronics from Amazon Warehouse.  

You ordered from a different store, right? You didn't place another order at Amazon? Right?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That seems reasonable to me, though I would recommend doing that through email so that you have a paper trail and can prove that you informed them of the issue just in case it comes back on you later. 

You also don't want Amazon just putting it back on the shelf to be sold to the next unsuspecting person. Eventually somebody who doesn't know the difference will receive it and just keep it, unknowingly getting ripped off.

You ordered from a different store, right? You didn't place another order at Amazon? Right?

That's a good idea.  I'll have to find how to email them.

And precisely right.  I don't want this return to end up in the hands of someone else.

Oof.  I did order from Amazon again, but not from Amazon Warehouse.  I'm curious to see how my second order of the EVGA 1000 G6 works out.

I call it "box swap" returns.  I periodically do it as a means of getting faster warranty replacements where I'll swap the working and not working item and then return to Amazon as "not working".  It *should* end up being sent back to the distributor and not resold when it's marked that way.   It's a dick move though to return a completely different item and mark it as no longer needed.

Warehouse Deals are supposed to be things returned as "no longer needed".  Or items where someone notices the packaging on a brand-new item is damaged (I buy a lot of these where the item was never used but marked as "Acceptable" because the packaging was damaged).  In general though you're supposed to assume that Warehouse Deals are a crapshoot and you may end up unsatisfied.  Amazon has easy returns on everything though so *shrugs* no big deal.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I call it "box swap" returns.  I periodically do it as a means of getting faster warranty replacements where I'll swap the working and not working item and then return to Amazon as "not working".  It *should* end up being sent back to the distributor and not resold when it's marked that way.   It's a dick move though to return a completely different item and mark it as no longer needed.

Warehouse Deals are supposed to be things returned as "no longer needed".  Or items where someone notices the packaging on a brand-new item is damaged (I buy a lot of these where the item was never used but marked as "Acceptable" because the packaging was damaged).  In general though you're supposed to assume that Warehouse Deals are a crapshoot and you may end up unsatisfied.  Amazon has easy returns on everything though so *shrugs* no big deal.

Yep.  This.

I used to work for a guy that would do this.  Buy returns at DEEP discount, have ME check the items out to make sure they were legit, and then he would resell them on eBay.  😄

I have to admit, I've gotten some good deals myself.  When I remodelled a kitchen, I actually got a dishwasher and stove top that was a return.  On a smaller scale, I managed to get a nice digital camera once.  But yeah.... it's a crap shoot and you have to know that going into it.  😄

6 hours ago, nick name said:

An Amazon inspection of returned items seems to consist of the following:

Flowcharts(1).thumb.png.0789fdce20df0a76736370affff1e946.png

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

43 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

An Amazon inspection of returned items seems to consist of the following:

Flowcharts(1).thumb.png.0789fdce20df0a76736370affff1e946.png

LOL! You worked way to hard on that. 

As for the "is there a thing in the box" : No lie, I have received an empty box from Amazon.  😄

When I went to do an "exchange" to get a box that had something in it, they actually wanted the empty box back.  😂

13 hours ago, nick name said:

The PSU in the box literally states on it what it is.  And that doesn't match the box it's in.  You don't need to be anything but literate to inspect that return.

Workinf conditions are so poor and so high speed that even reading an item label is often too much time wasted or the people simply dont care enough.

Its why these "scams" have picked up massively in the last couple years. Workers are overworked and underpaid so they just do not give a damn and if it even remotely looks like the product in the picture its good enough. If the returned box is even opened.

I've had so many wrong or swapped out products arrive from amazon (I very rarely order there but people I make systems for, help with tech,... order there often) even multiple times had the bag of sand or rocks happen. On the other hand Ive also seen it happen that entire trays of small items appear like batteries and such instead of just 1 package.

This is in the eu where there are much stricter labour laws so you can only imagine the amount of mistakes that happen in worse enviroments