Youtube sh*tty experience

After watching linus complain on the wan show about youtube and seeing how it kinda made a difference I would like to share a well known issue. 

*Picture in Picture for iOS*

For those of you who don’t know what I am talking about, Youtube made pip an experimental feature (wooow such outside the box thinking). After some time they removed the ability to enroll in program/feature. If you already enabled it it would stay active, even across multiple devices (so it’s an account switch). Today I saw that there is only one experimental feature so I decided to try it out, NOT knowing that PIP isn’t already a feature available for EVERY PAYING CUSTOMER. 

So at the moment there doesn’t seem to be a way to enable the feature back againg. Thanks youtube. 

There should be a mega thread for every dumb decision youtube decides to do so they can talk about it on the wan show.

Sorry for formatting, I am on mobile.

5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

How about that time they removed the ability to link a specific timestamp on mobile and then just *never* brought it back 

How about that time they removed dislikes

Or the time they made a music streaming service that has an ad (most of the time 2 ads) after every. single. song. I'd get it if there were an ad every 30 mins of listening time, like Spotify, or if they offered something that was worth the ads, but no. It's worse than Spotify in every way.

PiP on mobile is allegedly a "premium" feature, at least for UK users. But on my phone it works anyway even though I don't have it (and never have).

Maybe if you pay for the premium version it puts a button for it within the app, so you don't have to exit to the recent apps screen and manually turn it on. But I don't think that's really worth £12 a month.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

PiP on mobile is allegedly a "premium" feature, at least for UK users. But on my phone it works anyway even though I don't have it (and never have).

Maybe if you pay for the premium version it puts a button for it within the app, so you don't have to exit to the recent apps screen and manually turn it on. But I don't think that's really worth £12 a month.

That’s the thing. I have youtube premium. I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER

19 hours ago, ISmokeAir said:

That’s the thing. I have youtube premium. I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER

Same! It was working just yesterday and today all I get is background audio! Wtf !

On 7/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, ISmokeAir said:

Pip still doesn’t work, but hey, the error works.

They love this error, because I also get it going to and from full screen. 

It's amazing how hard they're willing to fight against the OS on this one, just so that they can charge for PiP.

Having used a sideloaded version of YouTube for so long, I keep forgetting how the official app doesn't have PIP for everyone 

🙂

The ultimate irony is all I want to do is TURN OFF PIP.

Or the fact on Android I have to constantly switch out of a video to get it to rotate the screen out of fullscreen mode to like or comment.  The bug has been around for years.

Now they're working on breaking the web version too with YouTube Shorts, where you can't even change the volume (only mute it) or seek in the video.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7