Elon Musk ends $44bn bid to buy Twitter

Distinctly Average
3 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Well I mean they only gave him access apparently Wed...after apparently months of asking.  Also it doesn't actually include everything needed.  e.g. it doesn't show IP addresses...so if you have 1 IP address posting to multiple accounts it's difficult to determine if that truly is multiple accounts or a single account.

A consideration that I haven't really seen discussed is that he might also realize how much of an effort it will actually be to purchase the company.  So even if the vote goes through for the purchase, you have lawsuits that could hold the takeover up to 5 years (if they don't get the correct amount of votes)...I think it was 2/3 majority needed (excluding his shares).  There is also a bunch of other talks as well about delaying the takeover.  I doubt he would have thought it would take potentially years to actually do a takeover (and during that time the company itself would flounder and fail because of that).

He could also just be doing the whole thing to force twitter prove how much of it is BS.   Does anyone know how much twitter propaganda costs companies that deal with controversial technology like solar, electric cars and space travel?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 7/9/2022 at 10:50 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

Also, Elon knows a whole lot more about building EV's than most other CEO's.

bro he's not an engineer.

35 minutes ago, Assimov said:

He's not an engineer by trade (meaning he didn't go to school to become an Engineer, nor did he become certified by whatever standardized body for engineers).

But he's not completely ignorant about many of the engineering and technical aspects. I'm not gonna speak too much about Tesla because I'm not sure how much knowledge he has there (certainly more than the average CEO), but with SpaceX, he is pretty involved in the actual engineering - that doesn't mean he himself designs the Raptor or Merlin engines, but he does keep pace with many many of the technical details.

That aside, he's still a dick most of the time.

17 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Well I mean they only gave him access apparently Wed...after apparently months of asking.  Also it doesn't actually include everything needed.  e.g. it doesn't show IP addresses...so if you have 1 IP address posting to multiple accounts it's difficult to determine if that truly is multiple accounts or a single account.

Do you have any kind of source about this I can read? Last Wednesday was July 6th. According to a news article from June 25th, he had already been granted access.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-musk-is-now-drinking-from-a-firehose-of-twitter-data

The article didn't specify anything about the IP Address (where did you hear that?) - it does say it gives information about the device itself - I'd assume that this would include the IP (although possibly masked and anonymized for privacy).

17 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

A consideration that I haven't really seen discussed is that he might also realize how much of an effort it will actually be to purchase the company.  So even if the vote goes through for the purchase, you have lawsuits that could hold the takeover up to 5 years (if they don't get the correct amount of votes)...I think it was 2/3 majority needed (excluding his shares).  There is also a bunch of other talks as well about delaying the takeover.  I doubt he would have thought it would take potentially years to actually do a takeover (and during that time the company itself would flounder and fail because of that).

Those kinds of lawsuits can and do happen all the time with big mergers or takeovers. So if he wasn't expecting them (or at least planning for contingencies), then he didn't do his own due diligence - that's on him.

Musk just feels very naive about this entire process - he seems to have unrealistic expectations, and also seems to believe that rules shouldn't apply to him. He's a billionaire, so I'm not shocked about the latter, but it's not a good excuse.

Whether he wants out or not, this is heading to court, and I'm betting right now that Musk is either going to be forced to complete the sale, or he'll be on the hook for the $1bn cancellation fee + damages.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

37 minutes ago, Assimov said:

He has a really good knowledge about the engineering behind these things.

Everyday Astronaut has some videos in which Elon himself explains a few things about Raptor and Merlin.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Do you have any kind of source about this I can read? Last Wednesday was July 6th. According to a news article from June 25th, he had already been granted access.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-musk-is-now-drinking-from-a-firehose-of-twitter-data

The article didn't specify anything about the IP Address (where did you hear that?) - it does say it gives information about the device itself - I'd assume that this would include the IP (although possibly masked and anonymized for privacy).

Yea, quite possibly I'm wrong (I probably am, in the case of the dates that things happened); or missed looking at the date.  Just remember reading a thing a few things back a week or two ago that the rumor was that they were promising the data, but kept delaying actually giving it.

For the IP address it's been mentioned on a few news sites:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-06-09/twitter-s-fire-hose-might-not-hold-the-answers-to-musk-s-questions

Effectively the the fire hose data is only giving a small sample of the numbers that it's actually capable of giving.  When analyzing for bots, getting the raw data is highly important.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

But he's not completely ignorant about many of the engineering and technical aspects. I'm not gonna speak too much about Tesla because I'm not sure how much knowledge he has there (certainly more than the average CEO), but with SpaceX, he is pretty involved in the actual engineering - that doesn't mean he himself designs the Raptor or Merlin engines, but he does keep pace with many many of the technical details.

That aside, he's still a dick most of the time.

I'm in agreement with this, the last part while a bit harsh is kind of true.

The biggest thing I agree with is "more than the average CEO".  You need to have at least a certain level of knowledge in order to surround yourself with the top minds in a field.  It's hard to deny given that Tesla now is sporting the top margins per vehicle.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Was straight market manipulation from the beginning. Wouldn't be surprised if he sold calls before announcing he wasn't buying it. The SEC is a spineless body, but he should definitely be investigated for his entire foray with Twitter.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha