I Put some old Memory on the Wall....

PixelSpielkind

...sort of... 

I just wanted to share my latest strange Upcycling Project 😄, with a "Why throw it in a landfill, if it might still be usable" Laptop.... 
Hope this does count as a "Build Log", even though it´s no fancy Power-Machine, not even a real PC.... 

It started like this: 

Wall01.thumb.JPG.be9844bc6d45e4a15aa69d6e4956f0b9.JPG

This used to be a Dell Precision Laptop - it ended up more or less in the Trash with a Broken Display, Keyboard not working anymore (my guess -> due to Coffee 😅), not booting...

Nothing new, fast or energy efficient by today´s standard, but who knows maybe still working. 

Wall02.thumb.JPG.73992584a1c71cce776a5f7823df83e9.JPGIt even has a dedicated GPU. 
OK it´s just a Radeon Pro WX4150 with 4GB RAM

But hey - a GPU! 

Wall03.thumb.JPG.bd39f1210acb291d652978a4f0015e8f.JPGThe CPU is a Core i7-8750H

6 Core, 12 Threads

2,2 GHz Base Clock
4,1 GHz Max

And it has 4 SODimm Slots

Not that bad... 

So after cleaning everything, applying new thermal paste I turned it on and... nothing.. Power LED turned on, no post screen, nothing... 
I almost wanted to give up, but thankfully I had a "half working" Dell Display form another project laying around and thought: "Well, it can´t get any worse"...

So I connected the Display via the internal eDP Port and Voila: POST Screen, BIOS Access etc... Turns out I needed to disable the automatic GPU Switching in the BIOS, otherwise the POST-Screen was routed to the internal Display only and not to the dedicated Radeon GPU´s HDMI... 

OK so a Laptop in the Original "base" but without a display. Just hide it somewhere under the Desk and use it as a daily driver for light work, right? 

Well, that´s what I thought until i saw this one: 

Waveshare.jpg.bb85c2968a433b7745bc9c8e100684ab.jpg11,9 Inch (1480x340), Touchscreen, USB-Powered, HDMI

And a size that might fit the Case if I cut out about 3 times the Size of the 
Touchpad without breaking the cover.

Connected to the Outside USB and HDMI, because there´s no chance to use an Internal Connection.

ribbon_Cable.png.222f1bee477c19befe37badcc0ab19b8.pngI even had some Ribbon Cables and HDMI Plugs that I could use. Not the best quality Cable,
more for drones probably, but I did not need any 4K Signal and only a short length... 

So drilled some holes on the Case, cut some plastic with the dremel (I´m really bad at that.. ) and after connecting everything and putting all back together, the 
former Laptop did:

Turn off after a few seconds..... WTF? So.. open the Case, check every cable, connect HDMI for the "internal Screen" and USB-C for the Big Screen...  and... wait for it...  It turned off again.. 
After a many iterations of: "Let´s disconnect this cable an see if it makes any difference" I found out, that the Laptop REALLY doesn´t like it when the AC-Adapter is connected AND a USB-C Power-Delievery capable Display (which was how I connected my main Display).

So since it needs the 180w AC-Adapter and refuses to boot with 90w Power Delivery via USB-C only, the solution was to use a simple USB-C -> HDMI Adapter for the Main Monitor (= no PD Confusion). I´ve tried to connect the Display via the mini Display Port on the back before, but this did not really work as well - But at least I´ve experienced then how Windows 11 looks in 640x480...

So USB-C -> HDMI to the Rescue.... Aaaand... it .... WORKS!
Including Touch for the 11,9 Display, Windows 11, 2 NVME SSDs and 32 GB RAM (slightly different config from what´s shown in the first picture). And you can have fun with Dell´s Firmware Updates too - since the program wont install any firmware without a battery - took a while until I´ve found the correct command line option to override.... 

So now I have a Laptop hanging on the Wall, which will probably freak out because the Cooling solution is old, upside down and vertical (but has new thermal paste of course). I even ran cinebench and almost immediately had some Thermal throtteling (at least until the fans ramped up, sounding like a starting Jet...). Unfortunately there´s no chance to configure fan curves on dell laptops (apart from that Dell Power Manager with 4 Presets you can´t change, which takes ages to start and is still confused why there´s not battery 😄). 

Wall04.thumb.JPG.fc8b75f46128e59d85dff09946f8b88d.JPGWall06.thumb.JPG.a0894f736a821be641c18d9b4e2ac9fd.JPG

OK this is the current state...

But since it´s a kind of silly project anyway - there´s of course one thing still missing: RGB! 🤣

Any maybe some kind of Center Fan to help with cooling, and a few 3D-Printed parts to cover up some holes etc.. 

Hope you had some fun reading this - I´ll post some updates here, when I have an Idea how to get some RGB on that
(thinking about an USB-Powered ESP8266 with WLED Firmware and individually adressable LEDs)... 

Oh, an the Display is not just a gimmick:
My plan is to have a Custom Home Assistant Dashboard there, when i´m using the Walltop (or whatever you might call this - Any Ideas?)...

So I can work on the big Screen and quickly see some Network-Stats and the Weather report or toggle heating, lights etc. (That´s why i went with a Touchscreen-Version) 

Now I only hope that it doesn´t drop from the Wall - as it´s attached with some Adhesive Hooks (they should support more than double the weight of that thing, but who knows)... 😄

Regards from germany and good night...

Pixel-Spielkind

Wall05.JPG

On 7/6/2022 at 3:07 PM, PixelSpielkind said:

...sort of... 

I just wanted to share my latest strange Upcycling Project 😄, with a "Why throw it in a landfill, if it might still be usable" Laptop.... 
Hope this does count as a "Build Log", even though it´s no fancy Power-Machine, not even a real PC.... 

It started like this: 

Wall01.thumb.JPG.be9844bc6d45e4a15aa69d6e4956f0b9.JPG

This used to be a Dell Precision Laptop - it ended up more or less in the Trash with a Broken Display, Keyboard not working anymore (my guess -> due to Coffee 😅), not booting...

Nothing new, fast or energy efficient by today´s standard, but who knows maybe still working. 

Wall02.thumb.JPG.73992584a1c71cce776a5f7823df83e9.JPGIt even has a dedicated GPU. 
OK it´s just a Radeon Pro WX4150 with 4GB RAM

But hey - a GPU! 

Wall03.thumb.JPG.bd39f1210acb291d652978a4f0015e8f.JPGThe CPU is a Core i7-8750H

6 Core, 12 Threads

2,2 GHz Base Clock
4,1 GHz Max

And it has 4 SODimm Slots

Not that bad... 

So after cleaning everything, applying new thermal paste I turned it on and... nothing.. Power LED turned on, no post screen, nothing... 
I almost wanted to give up, but thankfully I had a "half working" Dell Display form another project laying around and thought: "Well, it can´t get any worse"...

So I connected the Display via the internal eDP Port and Voila: POST Screen, BIOS Access etc... Turns out I needed to disable the automatic GPU Switching in the BIOS, otherwise the POST-Screen was routed to the internal Display only and not to the dedicated Radeon GPU´s HDMI... 

OK so a Laptop in the Original "base" but without a display. Just hide it somewhere under the Desk and use it as a daily driver for light work, right? 

Well, that´s what I thought until i saw this one: 

Waveshare.jpg.bb85c2968a433b7745bc9c8e100684ab.jpg11,9 Inch (1480x340), Touchscreen, USB-Powered, HDMI

And a size that might fit the Case if I cut out about 3 times the Size of the 
Touchpad without breaking the cover.

Connected to the Outside USB and HDMI, because there´s no chance to use an Internal Connection.

ribbon_Cable.png.222f1bee477c19befe37badcc0ab19b8.pngI even had some Ribbon Cables and HDMI Plugs that I could use. Not the best quality Cable,
more for drones probably, but I did not need any 4K Signal and only a short length... 

So drilled some holes on the Case, cut some plastic with the dremel (I´m really bad at that.. ) and after connecting everything and putting all back together, the 
former Laptop did:

Turn off after a few seconds..... WTF? So.. open the Case, check every cable, connect HDMI for the "internal Screen" and USB-C for the Big Screen...  and... wait for it...  It turned off again.. 
After a many iterations of: "Let´s disconnect this cable an see if it makes any difference" I found out, that the Laptop REALLY doesn´t like it when the AC-Adapter is connected AND a USB-C Power-Delievery capable Display (which was how I connected my main Display).

So since it needs the 180w AC-Adapter and refuses to boot with 90w Power Delivery via USB-C only, the solution was to use a simple USB-C -> HDMI Adapter for the Main Monitor (= no PD Confusion). I´ve tried to connect the Display via the mini Display Port on the back before, but this did not really work as well - But at least I´ve experienced then how Windows 11 looks in 640x480...

So USB-C -> HDMI to the Rescue.... Aaaand... it .... WORKS!
Including Touch for the 11,9 Display, Windows 11, 2 NVME SSDs and 32 GB RAM (slightly different config from what´s shown in the first picture). And you can have fun with Dell´s Firmware Updates too - since the program wont install any firmware without a battery - took a while until I´ve found the correct command line option to override.... 

So now I have a Laptop hanging on the Wall, which will probably freak out because the Cooling solution is old, upside down and vertical (but has new thermal paste of course). I even ran cinebench and almost immediately had some Thermal throtteling (at least until the fans ramped up, sounding like a starting Jet...). Unfortunately there´s no chance to configure fan curves on dell laptops (apart from that Dell Power Manager with 4 Presets you can´t change, which takes ages to start and is still confused why there´s not battery 😄). 

Wall04.thumb.JPG.fc8b75f46128e59d85dff09946f8b88d.JPGWall06.thumb.JPG.a0894f736a821be641c18d9b4e2ac9fd.JPG

OK this is the current state...

But since it´s a kind of silly project anyway - there´s of course one thing still missing: RGB! 🤣

Any maybe some kind of Center Fan to help with cooling, and a few 3D-Printed parts to cover up some holes etc.. 

Hope you had some fun reading this - I´ll post some updates here, when I have an Idea how to get some RGB on that
(thinking about an USB-Powered ESP8266 with WLED Firmware and individually adressable LEDs)... 

Oh, an the Display is not just a gimmick:
My plan is to have a Custom Home Assistant Dashboard there, when i´m using the Walltop (or whatever you might call this - Any Ideas?)...

So I can work on the big Screen and quickly see some Network-Stats and the Weather report or toggle heating, lights etc. (That´s why i went with a Touchscreen-Version) 

Now I only hope that it doesn´t drop from the Wall - as it´s attached with some Adhesive Hooks (they should support more than double the weight of that thing, but who knows)... 😄

Regards from germany and good night...

Pixel-Spielkind

Wall05.JPG

i mean i got a $120 laptop that's just my alarm clock best alarm clock ever...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links