Question on soon to be DIY Monitor

iiFoogie

I got a question, so if I was to take a old display from a laptop, and fit it with a new control board, to turn it into an external monitor, that then can be plugged into my laptop to use. Is it possible for the new control board to destroy the laptop if it does become faulty?

15 minutes ago, iiFoogie said:

I got a question, so if I was to take a old display from a laptop, and fit it with a new control board, to turn it into an external monitor, that then can be plugged into my laptop to use. Is it possible for the new control board to destroy the laptop if it does become faulty?

Considering this theoretical control board that nobody makes doesn't exist , I would say the chance of it happening is zero.

laptop monitors are proprietary and not at all universal so there isn't a magic control board that anyone makes that converts them into a regular monitor. Not to mention that buying a regular monitor even used is considerably easier than building one that is worse for no reason.

Actually no, a lot of lcd displays have standard interfaces, eDP, 30/40 pin LVDS etc ... it gets a bit more complicated with more modern 4K panels but older ones are easier to source controllers for.

There can be a problem finding suitable connectors but if you do DIY you could work something out.

In general no, it shouldn't be a problem, because you only connect the laptop to the display with a vga or hdmi or displayport so you're dealing with low voltages (max 5v) and the processor on the controller board works at low voltage etc etc.