Google is Ending Forced Google+ Integration

EChondo

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/report-google-to-end-forced-g-integration-drastically-cut-division-resources/

In short, Google seems to be backing away from the original Google+ strategy. The report states that Google+ will no longer be considered a product that competes with Facebook and Twitter, and that Google's mission to force Google+ into every product will end. With this downgrade in importance comes a downgrade in resources: TechCrunch claims that 1000-1200 employees—many of which formed the core of Google+—will be moved to other divisions. Google Hangouts will supposedly be moved to Android and the Google+ photos team is "likely" to follow. "Basically, talent will be shifting away from the Google+ kingdom and towards Android as a platform," the report said. The strange part is that both of these teams create cross-platform products, so, if the report is true, there will be a group inside the Android team making iOS and Web apps, which doesn't seem like the best fit.

A little excerpt taken from a Ars Technica article. If you want to read more about the departure of Vic Gundotra, head of Google+, then read on here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/vic-gundotra-the-head-of-google-leaves-google/

Honestly? FINALLY! Maybe now I can use YouTube like it's meant to be. I stopped signing into YouTube right when Google+ was forced. Maybe now I can start using the service.

As for reverting YouTube back;

It's unclear what the future of Google+ would be, and the report says that Google itself isn't even sure what to do with the rest of the Google+ team members. TechCrunch says that G+is not officially dead, but with Gundotra gone and the resources being stripped away, the project seems more like the "walking dead."

It seems as if there might be talks about it happening, but nothing is for certain. This is just for confirmation that nothing "new" from Google with have forced Google+ integration. Hopefully they do offer a "revert" option and they remove Google+ comments on YouTube videos(or they might hide them to avoid flaming).

So...will they revert YouTube back?

You also could still opt out of converting to G+ on YT by just clicking the "X" in the corner of the box.

the gods be praised! YAY!!!

giphy.gif200.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yeeees! I hope we can go back to having our usernames on YT!

Finally they got their schiit together.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

I actually liked the Google+ integration. Kept everything under one login. 

Either way, the shift will retain the integration in some other form, so it doesn't really matter. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Glad I ignored the entire ordeal. Stopped commenting and voting on comments completely. Hopefully they'll allow me to comment/vote again soon without a G+ page/account. 

Let's celebrate! 

KyJnSzD.gif

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Yeeees! I hope we can go back to having our usernames on YT!

I still have mine....

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Thats great, but it is too late. The damage has been done. Unless they revert to the old youtube(which is highly unlikely), I'm still disappointed with Google's decision in forcing us to use G+. I'm usually a fan of Google's descisions, but forcing everyone to use G+ is one of the most disappointing things a tech company has done to their customers(worse than microsoft with Windows 8 IMO)

Either way, the shift will retain the integration in some other form, so it doesn't really matter. 

They can still have 1 log-in without the need for you to display your full name to everyone on the internet.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

So...will they revert YouTube back?

You also could still opt out of converting to G+ on YT by just clicking the "X" in the corner of the box.

Uncertain and true that you could ignore G+, but if you wanted to comment or do other things, G+ was/is required.

what about for the people that did do the merge does it just go away or what?

Hopefully it goes away, but there is no confirmation that YouTube will be reverted.

They can still have 1 log-in without the need for you to display your full name to everyone on the internet.

Meh. Even if I were to hide my name behind a username, someone determined enough already knows everything about me. Paranoia doesn't help. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I was totally expecting to just see a trollface in the OP and everyone raging below. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I was totally expecting to just see a trollface in the OP and everyone raging below. 

You've been here long enough to not expect that from me!

Plus, April 1st is long gone by now! :P

lol that would be an awesome april fools prank

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

You've been here long enough to not expect that from me!

Plus, April 1st is long gone by now! :P

lol that would be an awesome april fools prank

Let's save it for next year! :D

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Meh. Even if I were to hide my name behind a username, someone determined enough already knows everything about me. Paranoia doesn't help. 

It's not paranoia, it's just a right to privacy that everyone should demand and expect. A determined hacker is the exception to the rule, but that does not mean I should be OK with being forced to reveal my full name to the millions and millions of people on Youtube. Take the recent Swatting case from that idiot playing call of duty. It doesn't say how he obtained or knew the others person's information, but having to display my full name makes it that much easier for someone to find out my personal if they want to take revenge on me in some way because I said or did something they didn't like or agree with.

I can't find the article right now, but there was another case where a gamer went to the home of another gamer who pissed them off in game and shot them.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I am going to call BS because I am a pessimist and don't want to get excited but....

Capture6.jpg

How awesome would it be if they brought that back as well?

Edit: seems more people hate it than like it. Maybe just me being nostalgic i guess? idk.

"No signature"

uff i was starting to think i was the only one liking it

PC Gaming forever...