Parents wont let me use my hard earned money...

Budget (including currency): 1700 usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: premier pro, my steam library.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have a psu, ram, storage. 

I have saved up more than enough (1600 to be exact) to buy a 3070 because bestbuy is having a massive sale at the time of writing. I was gifted my entire system (10400, 1650) from my parents but now that I have a job and want to do some serious 4k editing, I wanna get a 12700k and a 3070. As my dad phrased it, "when we built the computer, I was hoping that it was built". What are your suggestions to buy the parts? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M9QNv3 Gonna get the new fractal design pop air when it goes to a decent price.

Tech is always evolving and improving. The beauty of having a PC is that you can upgrade specific parts, so some may say that a PC is never fully built. I'm fairly new on budgeting so I won't comment too much on the price aspect, but deals are the best time to buy things (providing the next deal isn't twice as good 🤣). Good luck, just let your parents know you appriciate them but to do your workload, the components in your current system won't step up to the job. It either comes down to replacing the entire PC, or a few components (I'm sure they'll eventually see the light when you put it to them like that)!

Would change that monitor to something a little better. If you are really serious about 4k editing, save for a better monitor. For 450$ you can pick up https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pZmmP6/hp-x34-340-3440x1440-165-hz-monitor-2v7w4aaaba

which is a stellar monitor

If you want a cheaper option and you aren't 100% set on IPS panels, look into the darkmatter line from monoprice

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42892&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtvqVBhCVARIsAFUxcRsJF0FeN4jK29nuTFMCKvhFHzZLLF1sj_3Pc5wUfeuasEsIDP3l7GIaAm1YEALw_wcB

27" 180hz qhd for 280$ USD right now on sale. Damn good deal for that monitor. Have personally used and it's great (imo.)

Respect your parents and understand there is probably a reason why your dad doesn't want you to blow your money. Make sure you have a good nest egg in your account to fall back on before you blow your hard earned cash man. It's a real crappy feeling when your car breaks down and you have no cash or you need something and have to ask around or have to pay the bills on a credit card. It happens to everyone, but try your best to be smart and avoid situations like that.  Your father may be trying to low-key or high key instill some good financial habits in you.

But, you can also let him know that tech is ever changing and your current pc was great and you appreciate it more than you can put into words, however, you want to explore 4k editing and your current build isn't cut out for it. If you are truly passionate about it you can find a way my brother.

good luck!

2 hours ago, DiscreetSheet29 said:

I have a job and want to do some serious 4k editing

when you say this.

Are you saying you have a job that requires you to edit 4k footage?

what kind of footage is it and what kind of "editing" are you doing? slicing clips together doesnt need that much power.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

53 minutes ago, DiscreetSheet29 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: premier pro, my steam library.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have a psu, ram, storage. 

I have saved up more than enough (1600 to be exact) to buy a 3070 because bestbuy is having a massive sale at the time of writing. I was gifted my entire system (10400, 1650) from my parents but now that I have a job and want to do some serious 4k editing, I wanna get a 12700k and a 3070. As my dad phrased it, "when we built the computer, I was hoping that it was built". What are your suggestions to buy the parts? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M9QNv3 Gonna get the new fractal design pop air when it goes to a decent price.

How old are you? Do you still live with your parents? Do they give you spending cash/food/other means to live?

If yes, respect their rules, you'll be on your own soon enough and can buy a card then.

Might be a little easier to justify the GPU being necessary for editing if there wasn’t a complete work station in that build list you posted. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You can do editing on that machine, I'm pretty sure it just takes longer. If you're in a position where your parents are telling you what you can do with your money, I highly doubt you need to have it done at super fast speeds. Just wait the extra time it takes to complete.

What sale are you talking about? I don't see anything particularly cheap. There will also be sales on Black Friday, which will probably be better.

You have an entire build in that list. Your parents probably partially think their money was a waste if you're upgrading so quickly. If my kid did that, I'd be far less likely to buy them something expensive in the future.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Your current system is more than capable of editing 4k footage, I wouldn't upgrade your computer if that's the only thing you want to do.

1 hour ago, Brian McKee said:

Your current system is more than capable of editing 4k footage, I wouldn't upgrade your computer if that's the only thing you want to do.

That depends on what one would define as capable. Theoretically, if you're very patient? Yes. Otherwise, 80% of the time spent editing will be just be waiting for your timeline to update after making something as small as a cut. That's without effects. 

I have a 3070 Ti, and a 5600X... even THAT'S barely a good 4K60 editing rig for my use, and we're talking footage shot on a Galaxy S21. So, not even that great. Takes about 10 seconds for my timeline to update and deem itself playable after making a single cut. When adding effects or doing time-lapse footage, the preview window is an absolute slideshow. Thats with GPU acceleration as well.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

10 hours ago, DiscreetSheet29 said:

Some issues with the build.

A B660 motherboard should be paired with an i7-12700 or i7-12700F, not a K or KF variant. 

Sixteen GB is not adequate for 4K editing.

The Focus case has an acrylic side panel. It will scratch.

A PSU is required.

I suspect a monitor stand for 2 screens up to 27" might have difficulty with a 28" screen.

GPU are on sale because new models will be appearing in a couple of months. This is exacerbated by the severe drop in demand due to digital currency crashes.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

That depends on what one would define as capable. Theoretically, if you're very patient? Yes. Otherwise, 80% of the time spent editing will be just be waiting for your timeline to update after making something as small as a cut. That's without effects. 

I have a 3070 Ti, and a 5600X... even THAT'S barely a good 4K60 editing rig for my use, and we're talking footage shot on a Galaxy S21. So, not even that great. Takes about 10 seconds for my timeline to update and deem itself playable after making a single cut. When adding effects or doing time-lapse footage, the preview window is an absolute slideshow. Thats with GPU acceleration as well.

A very easy way around this is to edit with proxies.

No reason to get a whole new PC. Just upgrade your RAM and GPU, you should be enough. $250 seems super low for a 4K monitor, there's gotta be a reason why.

And $30 for a monitor arm? I wouldn't trust a $30 monitor arm to hold a single cheap 1080p monitor let alone two monitors. 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

On 7/2/2022 at 12:15 AM, DiscreetSheet29 said:

Your current system is a perfectly capable machine.

Your parents gifted you this machine probably 2 years ago or less, judging from the CPU. It would be reasonable that they would feel like you are wasting THEIR money, not yours, if you go and replace it now. Seems like a thoughtless thing to do to your parents. Don't expect them to gift you cool stuff in the future.

Spend your money on something else, or save it for when your pc REALLY needs an upgrade.

On 7/2/2022 at 8:51 AM, OfficialTechSpace said:

My trick has always been to load the footage, encode it into a filetype/codec that runs well for the hardware im using (often the one eith the least compression) and then edit the footage from that. Usually just left my ol lappy to transcode that when I was sleeping.

Its a neat little trick but it works very well