How reliable is memtest?

Hi,

Would it be possible that a ram ass memtest (stock no xmp)

And still be faulty? (Fps drops)

I don't put undying faith in memtest like some do, I've seen it do 20 runs on VRAM of a dying graphics card that was Christmas treeing the display, and on 19 of the 20 runs it said everything was perfect.

It's possible. It's rare, but it can happen. If RAM passes memtest I would be looking at other factors to cause issues first, but if you eliminate everything else I would try to swap the RAM. 

the problem with memtest is that it can only really 'confirm a fault happened', you could have a memory location that only fails in a very specific scenario.

so, if you're worried hardware memory faults are happening, the only way to 'confirm' no hardware faults are happening is to endlessly run memtest until you're satisfied there has been enough time for oddities to occur.

I will try to swap the ram, thanks for the quick replies 

You can never be certain memory is working perfectly from just memtest, but you can be fairly confident it's working if it passes a few runs, and you can be certain it's bad if it fails. That said, I have doubts that your memory is the thing causing FPS drops. I'd generally suggest looking at other components (At least GPU and storage), your software, your drivers, and your OS before your RAM unless you have some reason to strongly suspect your system RAM in particular.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

@BobVonBobiVe tested with a different cpu and GPU, currently I'm running fresh install vanilla.

The SSD is brand new, it's the only hardware I haven't tested, what would be the best way to test it?

Regards 

Memtest86+ is a wonderful tool. It's not the only wonderful tool out there. OCCT also has a memory test that works well, and Cinebench will also pound your RAM like a fat kid at a burger bar.

Of course, the absolute best way to test hardware is to use it in your normal daily life and see how it works. If there are stutters there with the new RAM that weren't there before you switched it out and nothing else has changed, then that might be related.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

@BobVonBobiVe tested with a different cpu and GPU, currently I'm running fresh install vanilla.

The SSD is brand new, it's the only hardware I haven't tested, what would be the best way to test it?

Regards 

Is it possible my fps drop is cause by Intel management engine?

3 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I don't put undying faith in memtest like some do, I've seen it do 20 runs on VRAM of a dying graphics card that was Christmas treeing the display, and on 19 of the 20 runs it said everything was perfect.

Memtest doesn’t test VRAM…. What? It tests system RAM.

26 minutes ago, aeon187 said:

Regards 

What exactly is happening? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

@LIGISTXim getting intermittent fps drops.

Always happen after a reboot either it's fine +200fps stable.

Sometimes 80-100 fps.

I've tested he's cpu and GPU in my rig same problem.

Ran memtest (not running xmp ATM)

Fresh is install vanilla, power plan performance.

Cleared cmos

Tested my graphic card in my friend PC no issue.

I do have a new SSD, power supply and the card came back from RMA, but was stable in my friend computer. But only tested it for 30 minutes with the reboot loop (which trigger the issue on my system)

I'm getting out of ideas what to test.

I haven't tested the ssd, I haven't tried switching the ram (that passed a few instances of memtest)

4 minutes ago, aeon187 said:

@LIGISTXim getting intermittent fps drops.

Always happen after a reboot either it's fine +200fps stable.

Sometimes 80-100 fps.

I've tested he's cpu and GPU in my rig same problem.

Ran memtest (not running xmp ATM)

Fresh is install vanilla, power plan performance.

Cleared cmos

Tested my graphic card in my friend PC no issue.

I do have a new SSD, power supply and the card came back from RMA, but was stable in my friend computer. But only tested it for 30 minutes with the reboot loop (which trigger the issue on my system)

I'm getting out of ideas what to test.

I haven't tested the ssd, I haven't tried switching the ram (that passed a few instances of memtest)

What are the rest of the parts in the system? What CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

@LIGISTX

12900kf

Asus 690-e

32 gskills 5600 MHz 

Rtx 3080ti

Corsair HX 850

Samsung 980 pro 1tb

Corsair 3x water cooler

1 hour ago, aeon187 said:

@LIGISTX

12900kf

Asus 690-e

32 gskills 5600 MHz 

Rtx 3080ti

Corsair HX 850

Samsung 980 pro 1tb

Corsair 3x water cooler

Hopefully its not a DDR5 type issue...

Have you updated BIOS?

@LIGISTX

I'm running the latest bios.

I also tried to clear cmos, didn't change anything.

15 minutes ago, aeon187 said:

@LIGISTX

I'm running the latest bios.

I also tried to clear cmos, didn't change anything.

Hmm. Temps all look acceptable? 

@LIGISTX temperature for cpu and GPU are fine.

I did recently switched 3 components.

Psu (hx 850)

Samsung 980 pro 

Msi RTX 3080 ti ( got RMA last month received a different card )

14 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Memtest doesn’t test VRAM…. What? It tests system RAM.

What exactly is happening? 

It asked whether to test system or video.

11 hours ago, aeon187 said:

@LIGISTX temperature for cpu and GPU are fine.

I did recently switched 3 components.

Psu (hx 850)

Samsung 980 pro 

Msi RTX 3080 ti ( got RMA last month received a different card )

Hmm, was this happening before? Why did you RMA the first GPU?

@LIGISTX I was getting freeze / driver crash.. they remplace with a different card.

Before I had the issue with the card (old one system was running perfectly fine)

After I got the RMA the system was fine for a couple of days then this started to happen.

When I try my card in a friend computer it run fine, I can't reproduce the issue. 🤡

3 hours ago, aeon187 said:

@LIGISTX I was getting freeze / driver crash.. they remplace with a different card.

Before I had the issue with the card (old one system was running perfectly fine)

After I got the RMA the system was fine for a couple of days then this started to happen.

When I try my card in a friend computer it run fine, I can't reproduce the issue. 🤡

What games does it happen in? Do you have any DDR4 ram you can try instead of your ddr5?

15 minutes ago, aeon187 said:

@LIGISTX it's z690 chipset.

Doesn't support ddr4

That isn’t necessarily true. I know some do, I’m not sure if all do or what the current state of affairs is. 

But it doesn’t look like your board supports ddr4, which is unfortunate. 

I am really not sure what the issue could be. Everything else acts normally? Stress tests and benchmarks all result in what would be expected?

@LIGISTX Yop, everything is normal it occurred after a reboot either it will work perfectly fine or I loose 50% performance 🤡