Good full airflow case recommendations

Razorcat

I currently have a Corsair 110Q ATX mid tower case and am experiencing issues with airflow and temperatures. Especially with the front intakes, in which I get pretty noticeable (-5C when idling) drop when just removing the front panel.
I also have a 3070 which just barely fits in the case and is dividing the entire case into two almost completely isolated zones.

Pics Below

I'm looking to the replace the case with something that will have much better front intake airflow, allow for an additional exhausts, allow for more length for the GPU, and more width to replace the small NH-U12S with a bigger CPU cooler. This is a TV PC that runs mainly VR at my parent's house so doesn't need flashy RGB or windows, just needs to perform really well and remove the limitations I'm experiencing currently. My budget is <$200.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Any cheap airflow case like zalman s2 will work fine, just make sure to check gpu (length) + cooler (height) compatibility

Fractal Torrent is currently king in most regards, although there are other popular offerings. I don't much care for the Corsair oferrings, but they exist too. There's also the Phanteks P360A/P400A/P500A lineup, which I can recommend. I use the P400A personally on my stream encoding rig, and it does the job fine. I wish there was a bit more mounting space at the top of of the chassis though, I couldn't seem to reasonably fit my AIO up there without it interfering with my VRM heatsink. Had to mount the cooler at the front of the case, which now exhausts hot air into the chassis as it doubles as an intake. Not ideal with a 220W TDP FX-9590.

The Noctua U12S is a perfectly sufficient air cooler for most CPUs, I'd stick with that unless you'd like to try an AIO. Try just the new case at first though, then decide if you need more. The Scythe Fuma 2 is another good air cooler, but I'd still consider the Noctua NH-D15 king. At that point though, you're entering the AIO price bracket. Plus, all of those top air coolers are still within ~5°C above-ambient variance of your U12S.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

That case has a very restricted front intake.

My sub $100 recommendations, but with good airflow (open mesh front) and easy to work / build with.

Phanteks P400A Digital $99 @ NewEgg -- included 3x 120mm at the front

(Phanteks P400A non-Digital is $89.99 with 2x front fans included)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FP3mP6/phanteks-eclipse-p400a-digital-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec400atg_dwt

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3RJmP6/phanteks-eclipse-p400a-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec400atg_bk

Corsair 4000D Airflow $94.99 @ NewEgg / Amazon -- 1x front 120mm fan, 1x rear 120mm fan included; you may want to transfer your old fans over.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bCYQzy/corsair-4000d-airflow-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011200-ww

Lian-Li Lancooler 215 $89.99 @ B&H -- 2x 200mm front intake fans, 1x 120mm rear fan. One of the better out-of-the-box cases because of the included 200mm honkers.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YCH8TW/lian-li-lancool-215-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-215-black

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

21 hours ago, -rascal- said:

That case has a very restricted front intake.

Yeah... I should've noticed when I bought it...

21 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Lian-Li Lancooler 215 $89.99 @ B&H -- 2x 200mm front intake fans, 1x 120mm rear fan. One of the better out-of-the-box cases because of the included 200mm honkers.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YCH8TW/lian-li-lancool-215-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-215-black

This seems great because the 2 200mm included intakes mean I can just use the front intakes I'm using currently as top exhausts, without having to buy additional fans. However, I was planning on upgrading to the Noctua NH-D15. This case states it has a CPU clearance of 166mm, and the NH-D15 has a height of 165mm. Do you think it will be ok? 1mm clearance seems risky...

On 6/25/2022 at 9:10 PM, OfficialTechSpace said:

The Noctua U12S is a perfectly sufficient air cooler for most CPUs, I'd stick with that unless you'd like to try an AIO. Try just the new case at first though, then decide if you need more. The Scythe Fuma 2 is another good air cooler, but I'd still consider the Noctua NH-D15 king. At that point though, you're entering the AIO price bracket. Plus, all of those top air coolers are still within ~5°C above-ambient variance of your U12S.

Agreed on just starting with the case for now, but I was planning on upgrading to the 3800X3D eventually and wouldn't mind the extra thermal protection as temps get very high playing msfs2020 in VR. So definitely want to at least consider potential CPU cooler clearance in the recommendations.

I think I'm going to go with the Corsair 4000D mesh airflow because I'm familiar with using Corsair cases, has the airflow I want, has good GPU/CPU cooler clearance, and has the fan support that I need.

Thanks for your help everyone!

9 hours ago, Razorcat said:

Do you think it will be ok? 1mm clearance seems risky...

Was just going to say that this is risky because if you need to raise the front fan of the cooler to accommodate tall RAM sticks, you’ll have 1mm of space to shift the fan, which may not be enough.

Great choice on the case 👍🏼