what is the difference between docsis 3.0 and 3.1 will switching from docsis 3.0 to 3.1 lower ping?

johnny668687

i have a 1000 mbps internet plan but my modem is 3.0 and has a 300 mbps limit if i buy a new better modem that can handle 1000 mbps with docsis 3.1 will it lower ping?

You have a better chance of improving your latency if you just ask your ISP where the closest internet exchange is and finding homes there. Docsis 3.1 introduces higher throughput, which also requires your ISP to support it. Latency might be better but if you notice 1-2ms of latency decrease, you are better off moving closer to your game server.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, johnny668687 said:

does xfinity support docsis 3.1 netgear modems?

Ask them, rollout might differ per area.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

it will definitely work since there are people using netgear modem docsis 3.1 with xfinity

Just because you have a 3.1 modem doesnt mean you get DOCSIS3.1 connection. DOCSIS3 is 17 years old, its no wonder manufacturers decided to upgrade their standards, its up to ISP to provide the connection.

Your mindset doesnt make any sense. If latency is extremely important, call your ISP and tell them you want to lay down your own fiber connection and you will handle all expenses, otherwise DOCSIS is terrible for latency.

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

how do i improve latency if i ask my isp? what is my isp going to do to lower latency?

You cant, they wont do anything. As I said in your billion other threads asking what would improve your latency, latency is not just up to your ISP.

do i upgrade the modem? since i have 1000 mbps and my modem which i am using right now only has a maximum of 300 mbps

1 minute ago, johnny668687 said:

do i upgrade the modem? since i have 1000 mbps and my modem which i am using right now only has a maximum of 300 mbps

Nope. This is the third time I am repeating in this thread alone. You have these options to improve your ping beyond margin of error:

• Lay down your own fiber connection straight into your ISPs backbone.
  • Move to somewhere with fiber connection, or somewhere that is closer to this server which you are so obsessed about the latency of.

Rest of your changes will only improve your ping by 2-3ms at best.

24 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

does xfinity support docsis 3.1 netgear modems?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modem

4 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

If you're subscribing to a service that's faster than your modem supports, you're wasting money.

Subscribe to a service that's within your modem's capabilities, or buy a new modem.

Either way, you will not lower your pings.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

is cat 6 1 gig or 10 gig? when i go on amazon i see that there is a cat 6 ethernet cable 10 gig i went to walmart and bought a cat 6 but it says 1 gig

25 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

is cat 6 1 gig or 10 gig? when i go on amazon i see that there is a cat 6 ethernet cable 10 gig i went to walmart and bought a cat 6 but it says 1 gig

Is your network card 1 gig or 10 gig?

Changing your network cable will not lower your pings.

Upgrading to a 10 gig network card will not lower your pings.

Subscribing to faster cable Internet will not lower your pings.

Nothing you change about your home network will lower your pings.

Stop losing sleep over your pings.

13 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

if i buy a new better modem that can handle 1000 mbps with docsis 3.1 will it lower ping?

No. Bandwidth and latency are not related. Bandwidth can be increased by adding more channels, i.e. sending multiple data streams in parallel. As has been said before, latency is a measure of distance. You can improve latency by decreasing the distance between you and the server you're communicating with, but little else.

The "speed" of your connection isn't actually speed in the sense of a moving object like a vehicle. Increasing the bandwidth of your connection doesn't make data flow faster. It simply means you send more data in parallel.

Think if it like adding more lanes to a road, where cars are traveling at a fixed speed. By adding more lanes, more cars can travel the road at the same time, increasing "cars per minute" even if the speed of each vehicle remains the same. Latency on the other hand is a measure of how long a single car takes to go from one end to the other. Since the speed of the cars hasn't changed, that time is the same as before, even though "cars per minute" has increased.

Electrons in a wire are traveling at a fraction of the speed of light (~70%). While that speed can vary by material, you can essentially think of it as a constant. Sending a bit to a destination 2000 km away will take roughly 10 ms. This translates to a bandwidth of 12.5 byte / second. If the speed at which bits are going is fixed, how can we increase bandwidth? By sending two bits in parallel. Your "speed" (i.e. bandwidth) is now 25 byte / second, even though the speed of bits (and thus latency) hasn't changed.

So what can we do to lower latency? Not a whole lot. You can use other materials like fiber optics, but once your data is flowing at the speed of light, that's it. No more latency decreases to be had. And since you can't exactly change how data is sent across the globe as an individual, the more correct answer is: Virtually Nothing.

Depends on the distance. Cat 6 officially supports 10 Gbps for distances up to 180 feet, and drops down to 1 Gbps for higher distances.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 minutes ago, johnny668687 said:

is there anything i can do to optimize the netgear genie web base website to lower ping?

No.

<-- Thread Locked -->

You know by now that creating multiple threads around the same thing, reducing your ping, is considered Spam. Keep to the original thread you have already. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card