India to implement GST on cryptocurrency

williamcll

image.png.84f953cb45dcd29d8b85fef7b0b17dce.png

Cryptocurrency's legality has always been under questioned in India, however they may soon change as GST may soon be added to crypto sales.

Quotes

An Indian ministerial panel will meet next week to discuss a goods and services tax on cryptocurrency transactions, people with knowledge on the matter said. The panel, comprising federal and states' finance ministers, is seeking to broaden the tax net to track dealings in virtual digital assets in a more effective manner, the people said, declining to be identified citing rules on speaking with media. The panel is meeting for two days starting June 28 in the northern Indian state of Chandigarh. The panel is unlikely to finalize a rate in the upcoming meeting but discussions may be held on placing it in the highest tax slab of 28%, the people said.

The move was seen as removing uncertainty about the legal status of crypto transactions. However, there is still no clarity on imposition of a sales tax on digital currencies due to ambiguity in its treatment as goods or services and a lack of a regulatory framework. The federal government is already working on a legislation to either regulate or tighten provisions though it is expected only after a global consensus emerges on regulating such assets, Bloomberg had earlier reported.

My thoughts

Probably the worse time to be implementing GST now that the price for most crypto are dropping. Even if it goes up later on it will be harder for people to turn a profit.

Sources

https://www.ndtv.com/business/crypto-sales-tax-at-28-discussions-next-week-3091705#:~:text=Earlier this year%2C Finance Minister,the country and track users.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

36 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Even if it goes up later on it will be harder for people to turn a profit.

Good. Cryptocurrency is massively wasteful and almost exclusively spent on scams and illegal activity.

If government regulation helps nail the coffin I’m all for it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I actually find it weird that all this time countries hasn't tried to put tax on it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Probably the worse time to be implementing GST now that the price for most crypto are dropping. Even if it goes up later on it will be harder for people to turn a profit.

I mean. The US taxes it as well. Though we treat it as more of an investment. For example if you keep crypto for a year or more then sell it, you could be subject to capital gains taxes. The only certainty in life is Death and Taxes. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I mean. The US taxes it as well. Though we treat it as more of an investment. For example if you keep crypto for a year or more then sell it, you could be subject to capital gains taxes. The only certainty in life is Death and Taxes. 

I was going to say people like to pretend crypto isn't taxed but that's not true it's already taxed in the US

Good. We're fucking up the environment enough as it is, dont need crypto energy wasting as well.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, Donut417 said:

It gets more complicated, but yes, there's a tax on capital gains. But there's already discussion for FY 2023 to tax unrealized capital gains. That means you would pay taxes simply holding an asset that appreciates in value even if none of it has been liquidated!

but to make it less complicated, one can only use legal country based wallets for crypto.

If not going through those means would be illegal, jk.

13 hours ago, StDragon said:

It gets more complicated, but yes, there's a tax on capital gains. But there's already discussion for FY 2023 to tax unrealized capital gains. That means you would pay taxes simply holding an asset that appreciates in value even if none of it has been liquidated!

I.e.: taxation is theft

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>