I've been defeated...

jakkuh_t
17 hours ago, WeeemRCB said:

Another advantage is that it saves time. A video I saw recently there was a guy saying it took him about 4 minutes at night to walk through the house switching off lights (he has kids) before he went to bed. Not a chore in itself, but over a year that works out to be 24hrs. 1 whole day of the year spent just switching off lights at night.

Yes, but at what cost? So you could potentially save an entire day's worth of time over a year by using automation. Yet it would probably take a week to setup in its entirety, plus other tweaks over time as room usage changes and the family grows. At the end of the day (no pun intended) Linus will have ended up wasting more time, in addition to 10's of thousands of dollars.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Hi Linus! I know that you spent a ton of money just for this. I spent like $200 on my smarthome in Sweden. My gateway is a Telldus telstick v2. That controlls my Nexa switches true 864MHz

Nexa is an good and cheap supplier and manufaktuer that haves all kind of products for smarthomes. I can controll all ligthning in my app, on the webb and with switches. Even with remotecontroll.

My outdoor lightning is power on and off by a scheme from the weatherinstitute that tells my gateway when the sun sets and rises.

7736EA69-5FB1-476F-87FB-E1BEBCB976C3.png

92198F1A-7805-4088-AA83-9764B617933B.png

41 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat service personell.

I'm gonna take his side on this one, because really, what else is there to do? Let's generalize this beyond this specific incident.

"A COMPANY" is refusing to provide a particular item or service because "it's our policy." What now? They won't transfer you to a higher-up, and they don't care about how right you may or may not be; they just do as they were instructed by their superiors. At that point, is the consumer just expected to take it on the chin, shrug their their shoulders and say "oh well"?

I'll gladly take the he-was-too-mean side, if someone provides a viable alternate route to getting this handled. Send a nasty email to corporate? Good luck finding a real address, much less getting a response. When companies outsource their support to people that have no knowledge or ability to fix things, well... they brought it on themselves.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

2 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I'm gonna take his side on this one, because really, what else is there to do? Let's generalize this beyond this specific incident.

"A COMPANY" is refusing to provide a particular item or service because "it's our policy." What now? They won't transfer you to a higher-up, and they don't care about how right you may or may not be; they just do as they were instructed by their superiors. At that point, is the consumer just expected to take it on the chin, shrug their their shoulders and say "oh well"?

I'll gladly take the he-was-too-mean side, if someone provides a viable alternate route to getting this handled. Send a nasty email to corporate? Good luck finding a real address, much less getting a response. When companies outsource their support to people that have no knowledge or ability to fix things, well... they brought it on themselves.

I can't agree with this because the company is just that - a company. It's not a person, they won't feel bad because someone shouted at them over the phone. The girl at the end of the conversation that was just doing her best to relay what she can and can't do is the one that ends up taking the abuse for no reason. It's not her fault that she's in the situation why should she have to take borderline abuse as a result.

You're saying because he's angry, he has the right to place that on someone else. If there is no-one to be angry at then the customer service people get it instead. This line of thinking is outright wrong. A viable alternative route is not to abuse or be angry at any human beings that have no control over the situation. It's fine to be angry and annoyed - it doesn't mean you have the right to treat other people badly especially when it's not their fault.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

6 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Yes, but at what cost? So you could potentially save an entire day's worth of time over a year by using automation. Yet it would probably take a week to setup in its entirety, plus other tweaks over time as room usage changes and the family grows. At the end of the day (no pun intended) Linus will have ended up wasting more time, in addition to 10's of thousands of dollars.

You've totally missed the point.
This was just one isolated example of how automations can improve home life as well as save cost over time.

People will pay for convenience. That's always been the case.

Not that long ago, owning a dishwasher was seen as excessive or extravagant. Nowadays it's normal for homes to have one (or more). Which costs money.

Automation in the home will one day (soon) be the norm 😉 

----------------------------
        Weem

2 hours ago, gergy008 said:

I can't agree with this because the company is just that - a company. It's not a person, they won't feel bad because someone shouted at them over the phone. The girl at the end of the conversation that was just doing her best to relay what she can and can't do is the one that ends up taking the abuse for no reason. It's not her fault that she's in the situation why should she have to take borderline abuse as a result.

You're saying because he's angry, he has the right to place that on someone else. If there is no-one to be angry at then the customer service people get it instead. This line of thinking is outright wrong. A viable alternative route is not to abuse or be angry at any human beings that have no control over the situation. It's fine to be angry and annoyed - it doesn't mean you have the right to treat other people badly especially when it's not their fault.

And yet you haven't provided an alternative. How does one rectify the situation if the only person they're capable of talking to is unable to handle it? 

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

1 hour ago, WeeemRCB said:

You've totally missed the point.
This was just one isolated example of how automations can improve home life as well as save cost over time.

People will pay for convenience. That's always been the case.

Not that long ago, owning a dishwasher was seen as excessive or extravagant. Nowadays it's normal for homes to have one (or more). Which costs money.

Automation in the home will one day (soon) be the norm 😉 

I think you missed my interpretation of "cost." I was speaking of time cost. The last line about the $10k is just in addition to that.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

4 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

And yet you haven't provided an alternative. How does one rectify the situation if the only person they're capable of talking to is unable to handle it? 

Did acting like an asshole solve the issue? No it didn't.

So stop trying to defend acting like an asshole towards a person who has not caused any issues and has no way of fixing the issues.

The alternative is to be nice.

I am pretty sure you end up getting better customer service on average if you don't act like a Karen, shouting about how you feel you are entitled to certain things and therefore demand them to someone who is unable to fulfil those demands.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Did acting like an asshole solve the issue? No it didn't.

So stop trying to defend acting like an asshole towards a person who has not caused any issues and has no way of fixing the issues.

The alternative is to be nice.

I am pretty sure you end up getting better customer service on average if you don't act like a Karen, shouting about how you feel you are entitled to certain things and therefore demand them to someone who is unable to fulfil those demands.

But neither you, or anyone else, has proposed how to actually solve an issue like this. In the end, it did get rectified, but only because he has a HUGE following and made a public mockery of their company, who then quickly changed course. How should you or I, the typically schlub consumer, handle this? And "be nice" isn't an answer. He was nice, up until the customer service agent effectively said "F off."

But I don't know why I'm wasting my breath. Your hatred of Linus is well documented, ergo he can do no right.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

11 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

But neither you, or anyone else, has proposed how to actually solve an issue like this. In the end, it did get rectified, but only because he has a HUGE following and made a public mockery of their company, who then quickly changed course. How should you or I, the typically schlub consumer, handle this? And "be nice" isn't an answer. He was nice, up until the customer service agent effectively said "F off."

But I don't know why I'm wasting my breath. Your hatred of Linus is well documented, ergo he can do no right.

If being stern and frustrated at a situation makes someone a Karen then I'd like to know what those calling Linus a "Karen" call someone who go batshit crazy and swears up and down at people and makes idle threats on their life is called.

Linus didn't swear at anyone over the phone, he didn't scream at them, he didn't threaten them. He was annoyed sure but he didn't go off on anyone.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

26 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I don't really understand your train of thought. You are making a false dichotomy.

You are pretending like the only options here were:

1) Act friendly and not get any help.

2) Act like a dick and get help.

However, as we can see in the video, Linus chose to act like a dick and it did not help. Acting like a dick to the service worker was completely uncalled for and did nothing to help him. I don't have to come up with a solution to tell you acting rudely doesn't help.

Here is an analogy.

A doctor tells me I got Covid-19.

I react by punishing the doctor.

When someone tells me to stop punishing I respond with "my action is justified unless you can find a cure for my disease".

See how it is a logical fallacy? Your response would only be valid if acting rude actually helped him, but it didn't.

Linus can do things correctly. It's just that he does a lot of bad thing as well, and those are the ones I mostly comment about because it seems like people are scared to call him out. What frustrates me the most are the rabid fans that defend him even when he acts poorly. 

16 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Linus didn't swear at anyone over the phone, he didn't scream at them, he didn't threaten them. He was annoyed sure but he didn't go off on anyone.

If you think Linus acted kindly when he talked over the service worker and basically shouted things like "that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard" while she tried to explain the situation then I don't want to know what you consider behaving poorly.

Not sure why people are so desperate to defend Linus whenever he acts poorly. He has admitted himself that he has anger issues because of his medication, and I think this is one example where this shows pretty clearly. That kind of behavior should not be applauded or defended. It should be discouraged, especially since a large portion of Linus' fans are young and impressionable children that look up to him.

The amount of people who has parasocial relationships with Linus is honestly scary.

@jakkuh_t - what Zigbee integration did you use on Home Assistant to connect to all the Zigbee devices in the home?  Is it ZHA?

28 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Here is an analogy.

A doctor tells me I got Covid-19.

I react by punishing the doctor.

When someone tells me to stop punishing I respond with "my action is justified unless you can find a cure for my disease".

See how it is a logical fallacy? Your response would only be valid if acting rude actually helped him, but it didn't.

The logical fallacy is your own. You didn't spend $10k to get covid. And we can make the analogy even more perfect. The doctor actually has the cure, but he just won't give it to you. Oops.

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If you think Linus acted kindly when he talked over the service worker and basically shouted things like "that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard" while she tried to explain the situation then I don't want to know what you consider behaving poorly.

So calling out something that is stupid as "stupid" is wrong? Dang, what world of rainbows and unicorns do you live in?

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The amount of people who has parasocial relationships with Linus is honestly scary.

He's not my friend, nor will he probably ever even know of my existence. I don't blindly defend him or anyone, but in this case I don't think he deserves the vilification being given.

But all that is a moot point, because after multiple replies, you still haven't solved the crux of all this. I'll ask just one more time, so read carefully:

HOW. SHOULD. THIS. BE. FIXED?

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

2 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

The logical fallacy is your own. You didn't spend $10k to get covid. And we can make the analogy even more perfect. The doctor actually has the cure, but he just won't give it to you. Oops.

Except the person he talked to most likely does not have access to the firmware, just like a doctor does not have access to a cure for covid. That's what some people don't seem to understand about service workers. They are not in charge. They do not have permission or even access to these things, which is why being rude towards them solves nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

So calling out something that is stupid as "stupid" is wrong? Dang, what world of rainbows and unicorns do you live in?

If you say it in a certain tone to which implies that the person you are saying it to should feel guilty, and just being rude in general, talking over them etc, then yes it is wrong.

Also, even if we agree that it is stupid to not supply the firmware files, you can still be an asshole for stating your opinion.

If I saw someone who was overweight and said "wow, you are probably the fattest person I have seen all day. I am honestly repulsed by you" I am an asshole. I might be telling the truth, but I am still an asshole. Same deal here.

24 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

But all that is a moot point, because after multiple replies, you still haven't solved the crux of all this. I'll ask just one more time, so read carefully:

HOW. SHOULD. THIS. BE. FIXED?

Why do you keep demanding that I come up with a solution? It is not my responsibility.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why do you keep demanding that I come up with a solution? It is not my responsibility.

Going on long diatribes about the evils of a person's actions, without an alternate path they should have taken? You figure it out.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

On 6/13/2022 at 9:23 PM, Nuver said:

Imagine talking to a customer service agent like that. Yikes.

Imagine not understanding basic concepts of your product and trying to sell another one instead of replying directly to initial question.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:08 PM, PaulCam said:
    def notify(self, topic):
        payload = self.cache.last_for_topic(topic)

if topic == self.upstairs_motion_topic:
            print("Upstairs motion message, payload: {0!s}".format(payload))
            bulbs = ["upstairs_hall_bulb"]

elif topic == self.downstairs_motion_topic:
            print("Down stairs motion message, payload: {0!s}".format(payload))
            bulbs = ["downstairs_hall_bulb"]
        elif topic == self.bathroom_motion_topic:
            print("Bathroom motion message, payload: {0!s}".format(payload))
            bulbs = [ "bathroom_bulb1", "bathroom_bulb2" ]
        else:
            return

if "occupancy" in payload:
            occupancy = payload["occupancy"]
            if occupancy:
                panel_power = self.cache.last_for_topic(self.solar_power_topic)
                if panel_power:
                    if "value" in panel_power:
                        value = panel_power["value"]
                        print("Panel power = {0!s}".format(value))
                        if value > 0.2:
                            print("Still Daylight.")
                            return

self.turnon(bulbs)
            else:
                self.turnoff(bulbs)

That's so terrible to read code, lol. Reinventing a switch statement as well...

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat service personell.

A useless service personnel is a useless service personnel. If one cannot be bothered to read the issue properly and answer the questions asked, they deserve to be shat on. Not that Linus shat on them, but just saying.

3 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

A useless service personnel is a useless service personnel. If one cannot be bothered to read the issue properly and answer the questions asked, they deserve to be shat on. Not that Linus shat on them, but just saying.

Calling the service person useless says a lot too lol.

And the person can only ask the questions they are knowledgeable on, or within the company rules, the support person doesn't deserve to be "shat on" because the customer thinks they need to act self entitled.

8 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

It amazes me the lengths people go to to defend someone lol, like he can do no wrong.

The way to resolve the issue would've been to send all that e-waste back, and I find it interesting how garbage a multi thousand dollar smart home setup is, and there is no standard way to implement all of it. These smart switches and lights just seems like a rich spoiled person problem, just go up the stairs and turn the darn light off.

6 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Going on long diatribes about the evils of a person's actions, without an alternate path they should have taken? You figure it out.

I have given you an alternative path that would achieve exactly the same end result.

Being nice to the customer support person. 

1 hour ago, Just that Mario said:

Yikes. 

@LinusTech is this how you want your viewers to behave? 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yikes. 

@LinusTech is this how you want your viewers to behave? 

I mean, she was absolutely useless.  As was the company line she towed.

He however, never insulted her, swore at her or anything else of the sort.  He was pissed off, and they gave him ample reason to be pissed off.

There's something to be said about being simple... I like keeping things as simple as possible. Within reason. 

I also like having a dumb house