Need Volunteer Hours!

emachado99

Hey guys,

I just thought about this... I am going to be going into grade 10 next year and still don't have any volunteer hours. Here in Ontario (Canada) you need to have 40 volunteer hours in order to get your high school degree, and I know I am only going into grade 10 but I don't want to wait 'till last minute to get my 40 hours... because believe it or not there has been a few people at my school who haven't graduated only because they didn't complete there 40 hours.

So could you guys maybe give me some ideas/suggestions where I could volunteer, or tell me the places where you have volunteered? 

Thanks guys! :D

Do some activity at church or a church or some thing that the church does. IDK thats what I do.

Do some activity at church or a church or some thing that the church does. IDK thats what I do.

maybe burn the chuches? other than that no idea ask the school :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

maybe burn the chuches? other than that no idea ask the school :P

Why would you burn them, how is taht gonna add hours.... silly/

@emachado99

Maybe volunteer with the habitat for humanity if it is in your area and you like to build things. 

Maybe go to town hall and ask them if there is a volunteer service for the area (something similar to adopt a highway or adopt a park, etc.) 

Staff a camp if there is one available in your area. 

Volunteer to the fire department if your area has a volunteer unit. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Doesn't your high school have a career center? 

wotm8?

Work in the school library, I got to do all kinds of cool stuff doing that. As said above, check animal shelters, they often have good volunteer opportunities. I might also suggest trying to look for a local food pantry, they are always looking for volunteers.

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

If you have a school custodian ask if he/she will offer your some hours for helping him. I help the custodians around my school on occasion.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

See the thing with my highschool is that you can't actually volunteer at the school with normal things. They want you to go out and get volunteer hours, which I can understand.

@emachado99

Maybe volunteer with the habitat for humanity if it is in your area and you like to build things. 

Maybe go to town hall and ask them if there is a volunteer service for the area (something similar to adopt a highway or adopt a park, etc.) 

Staff a camp if there is one available in your area. 

Volunteer to the fire department if your area has a volunteer unit. 

You think at 14 (gonna be 15 in July) that a local Fire Department would let me volunteer with them? Even for the little things?

You think at 14 (gonna be 15 in July) that a local Fire Department would let me volunteer with them? Even for the little things?

Actually mine would, you could clean the trucks? Put away gear? Supervised of course. But there is always a chance. I would try the library or a soup kitchen? 

probably not, nor the local shelter because the one in my town you have to be 16

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

In Australia there's a similar thing but its on a volunteer basis, most have a "work experience week", that way you get on the job experience in a field you want to work in.

When i was in grade ten I volunteered at the local Zoo worked there full time for 2 weeks, was cool feeding tassie devils and such

Its all about those volumetric clouds

probably not, nor the local shelter because the one in my town you have to be 16

Ah really? We live in the same city xD 

In Australia there's a similar thing but its on a volunteer basis, most have a "work experience week", that way you get on the job experience in a field you want to work in.

When i was in grade ten I volunteered at the local Zoo worked there full time for 2 weeks, was cool feeding tassie devils and such

I wish we had that. Most kids just go somewhere really boring and somewhere they don't wanna go just to get the hours. I would much rather work somewhere I want to be! :P

As a fellow Ontario resident maybe I an give a few ideas. As I currently have 158.5 community hours. Does your school run a 30 hour famine every year? As far as I know all public schools do and you get 10 hours for it. Another way I got hours was through Air Cadets, remembrance day, poppy sales, etc.. The biggest thing that got me hours was running lights at a theatre for 2 musicals. It was more tech oriented and a lot of fun. At my school in the office they have a huge list of local places you can get hours at, maybe check if your school does as well.

Soooo...how much proof of volunteer work do they actually need?  :ph34r:

It has to be fairly well documented and signed off by the pricipal/secretary and by someone overlooking your effort.

See below. 

And also, I had no idea of your age, but you could also wait till next year would make you 16 (in july 2015) which is the base age for most of the more dangerous opportunities. 

Actually mine would, you could clean the trucks? Put away gear? Supervised of course. But there is always a chance. I would try the library or a soup kitchen? 

Indeed. As well as cleaning up the station itself, as well as being a "training dummy". or aiding with station upkeep (assuming they have grass to cut or the like).  

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?).