Is a 3ds xl worth buying now? Would a switch be a better option?

Faris14

So I always wanted to have a nintendo handheld. I want to play pokemon and zelda mainly and I was thinking of getting myself a 3ds xl and jailbreaking it. I would buy a switch but  I would have to spend an enormous amount of money on a few games. From what I saw they are newer on sale and there is no way to jailbreak it without soldering. I could get a 3ds xl for about 115 USD or one with pokemon moon, alpha saphire, super smash bros 2 and zelda tri force for 160USD. A switch would cost me atleast 200 or 190USD a bit over 60-70 USD more for a new one (1st gen switch) the oled one is 100USD more expensive than these ones. So what do you guys think, buy one of those 3 options or not buy any of them? I am in europe so pricing may differ from your country.

A few things.

1. 3DS homebrewing is stupid easy because of boot9strap, and works on any CFW version. However, it is no longer receiving active development.

2. Modding a Switch does not require soldering, but it can't be done on every console. You'll need one from before September 2018 to use fusee_gelee, or one on firmware version 4.1.0 to use deja_vu - plus Nintendo takes no chances and permanent console bans will happen if they find out your console is modded.

If you plan to play any newer Nintendo games, such as Zelda BotW/2, or Gen 8-9 Pokemon, get the Switch. You don't need to mod it and it's not really worth it.

If you don't care for newer Nintendo games, get a New 3DS/XL. The XL offers larger screen size but isn't for every one. The 3DS consoles allow you to play every Pokemon game from Gen 1 to 7 on it via cartridges and Virtual Console.

elephants

first gen switch can be found for cheaper than that on used market, and if you are crafty you could find friends/family member that don't tinker and buy their old switch from them. I can get switch tablet only on used market in my country for around $100-$150

3DSxl are interesting and they are getting pricey lately too so if there are games on 3DS that you really want to play in their original device and not emulated on a phone or PC, then you might want to get on the train before it become ever more pricey, switch will only go down in price (aside from rarer 1st gen)

but if strapped for cash, switch is still a better deal, games are most of the time bigger so you need less of them than on 3DS and you can play with other ppl on the same device

if that's a fairly undamaged 3ds (the touchscreen *always* has wear, it's a matter of how horrid it looks, and the hinges arent the greatest quality) it's a great handheld if you like to experiment with them. i picked up an old 3DS from a local thrift store for 40 bucks (an absolute steal...) i've got mine set up with all my games from my GBC, GBA, and NDS right from the SD card, and it's great for when you've got 3 hours of travel with nothing to do.

the trick though, is to find one with relatively little wear on it. they were not designed to last 10 years, so ideally you find one that was either barely used, or owned by a very careful person. buying pristine condition from a refurb shop is WAY expensive, to the point you'd better buy a banger and replacement screens + case.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, FakeKGB said:

A few things.

1. 3DS homebrewing is stupid easy because of boot9strap, and works on any CFW version. However, it is no longer receiving active development.

2. Modding a Switch does not require soldering, but it can't be done on every console. You'll need one from before September 2018 to use fusee_gelee, or one on firmware version 4.1.0 to use deja_vu - plus Nintendo takes no chances and permanent console bans will happen if they find out your console is modded.

If you plan to play any newer Nintendo games, such as Zelda BotW/2, or Gen 8-9 Pokemon, get the Switch. You don't need to mod it and it's not really worth it.

If you don't care for newer Nintendo games, get a New 3DS/XL. The XL offers larger screen size but isn't for every one. The 3DS consoles allow you to play every Pokemon game from Gen 1 to 7 on it via cartridges and Virtual Console.

I mean I would like to play the new pokemon and zelda on the switch but I wont use it for mario party or mario kart because I am in a friend group of 3 and for me those games are not that fun unless in bigger groups. I was thinking of buying the 3dsxl because I have never played any games on it and I wanted to play all the pokemon games I can without having to emulate on pc. I do not like emulating games on pc it is a chore and I just can not get good frames with a switch emulator at least in the few games I have tried. I will probably end up getting the 3ds xl now and homebrewing it. Later on when I can find the switch for a good price probably will get it too. Thanks for the help.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:27 PM, manikyath said:

if that's a fairly undamaged 3ds (the touchscreen *always* has wear, it's a matter of how horrid it looks, and the hinges arent the greatest quality) it's a great handheld if you like to experiment with them. i picked up an old 3DS from a local thrift store for 40 bucks (an absolute steal...) i've got mine set up with all my games from my GBC, GBA, and NDS right from the SD card, and it's great for when you've got 3 hours of travel with nothing to do.

the trick though, is to find one with relatively little wear on it. they were not designed to last 10 years, so ideally you find one that was either barely used, or owned by a very careful person. buying pristine condition from a refurb shop is WAY expensive, to the point you'd better buy a banger and replacement screens + case.

The one I found is in a really good condition the mint condition ones cost almost the same as a switch so that goes out the window. Hinges and overall wear and tear are minimal on the one I found. I found another one that has the right hinge broken off for pretty cheap but I do not know if it is an easy fix never worked on anything nintendo except the n64. I could get this one for around 60 USD most likely even 50 USD if I haggle. Do you think this would be a worth fix? https://www.olx.ba/artikal/48181863/nitendo-3ds-xl/ site is in my language but only images matter.

29 minutes ago, Faris14 said:

Do you think this would be a worth fix? https://www.olx.ba/artikal/48181863/nitendo-3ds-xl/ site is in my language but only images matter.

No, a damaged housing like that requires a complete swap and it's an absolute pain. Try to get a New model, they have upgraded hardware and tend to emulate games better.

elephants

37 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

No, a damaged housing like that requires a complete swap and it's an absolute pain. Try to get a New model, they have upgraded hardware and tend to emulate games better.

Is it this one ? 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-3DS-XL-2-Items-Bundle-New-Nintendo-3DS-XL-Black-Console-and-USB-Sync-Charge-USB-Cable/313742954 

(wont buy it from here just for reference)

If you get a 3DS, make absolute sure it's a New 3DS XL since the New ones have upgraded quad-core cpus vs the dualcores in every other version. Furthermore, they have face tracking cameras that greatly greatly help the 3D effect stay in focus. You could also go New 2DS XL, but those lose the 3D and have one rear facing speaker instead of two front facing ones like New 3DS XL has.

If you like old-school Zelda games the 3DS is amazing. A Link Between Worlds is an amazing spiritual successor to A Link to the Past, and the 3D effect is first rate. Looks much much better with 3D maxed than with it off. Then you Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask 3D also.

If you're into Megaten games the 3DS is a must buy for SMT IV, SMT Apocalypse, SMT Strange Journey Redux, and a bunch of other SMT games, as well as the Persona Q games.

For Pokémon both systems have a ton of games and I don't play the Series enough to say which is better for Pokémon.

For Mario games Switch is hands down better. I really love New Super Mario Bros DS but it's not as good as Super Mario Maker 2 on Switch IMO, and Super Mario Odyssey is a night and day better 3D Mario than Super Mario 3D Land imo. Plus Switch gets Super Mario 3D World and Bowsers Fury as well as Super Mario 3D Allstars.

They're honestly both great consoles. Between the two I'd say Switch is better, but 3DS really punches above its weight. For piracy, you can tell if a Switch can be softmodded from its serial number, and you'll have to figure out the rest since we cant talk piracy here.

One other thing I'd mention: if BOTW is a deal breaker, the Wii U version can be emulated better than the Switch plays the Switch native version on not too expensive hardware. Back in 2017 or 2018 I played BOTW very well at 1080p30 on a Xeon E3-1231v3 and GTX 970, which would be like a 10th gen i3 (but 20-25% slower than that i3) and a GTX 1650 Super. Though you'll want a controller with motion detection like Dualshock 3 or 4 because some of the shrines are undoable without motion controls.

If the main reason is Pokemon/Zelda franchise and you are willing to get and bootleg a device - I suggest considering 3rd party solutions (ETA Prime and Taki Udon youtube channels have great reviews on many devices).

At least that’t the advice I would have given myself - I bought New2DSXL with the main purpose of playing famous Ocarina and Majora’s remakes. While Ocarina3D didn’t age well, Majora on the other hand is good… however, this game does not justify the device/experience, since the alternatives can be so much better, and some can run Citra (3DS emul).

Switch might be a better choice simply because it is the current system. However, Zelda games never going on sale, overall experience, and hunting old one if jailbraking is a must - you might as well just pay a bit more and preorder a 64GB Steam Deck (if you can of course).

10 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

If the main reason is Pokemon/Zelda franchise and you are willing to get and bootleg a device - I suggest considering 3rd party solutions (ETA Prime and Taki Udon youtube channels have great reviews on many devices).

At least that’t the advice I would have given myself - I bought New2DSXL with the main purpose of playing famous Ocarina and Majora’s remakes. While Ocarina3D didn’t age well, Majora on the other hand is good… however, this game does not justify the device/experience, since the alternatives can be so much better, and some can run Citra (3DS emul).

Switch might be a better choice simply because it is the current system. However, Zelda games never going on sale, overall experience, and hunting old one if jailbraking is a must - you might as well just pay a bit more and preorder a 64GB Steam Deck (if you can of course).

Not sure Yuzu nor Ryujinx are really up to being Switch replacements yet on desktop PC much less on Steam deck. Haven't tried them yet since upgrading to a 12400F but most of the videos I saw with 12400F showed a lot of stutter and hitches even on games like Super Mario Odyssey that are considered among the best running 3D games in the emulators. So if 12400F at high power limits has problems then a Zen 2 4C/8T cpu in a handheld seems like it should really struggle.

Though I would expect the Steam deck to run BOTW well through Cemu since it has a cpu better than what I used on my previous desktop to play BOTW in Cemu. Does Steam Deck support motion controls though? That's an absolute must with BOTW for some of the shrine puzzles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Does Steam Deck support motion controls though? That's an absolute must with BOTW for some of the shrine puzzles.

No idea. However, a friend completed it without any problems on Cemu/Win10 - so as far as I know you can complete it without a motion control enabled device.