I bet this makes more sense now than it did diy ssd with 10 as cards

Ryanwake

I bet the Biggest probably was the bad controller, so a modern replacement and maybe a raid card would improve it to where it might make sense.

That way you could have parody storage, and it would be cheaper than ssds at least with 128 gb ssd cards

It makes even less sense now.

flash drives/SD cards are using increasingly cheap NAND (so very low endurance). It's often QLC and might even be PLC in the near future if it isn't already.

Also, nvme is a thing.
This means much lower latency and much higher bandwidth out of SSDs.

Having to go through effectively TWO controllers and dealing with low quality parts AND not having intelligent wear leveling and caching relegates this to a "why would you do that?" project.

For laughs - using 128GB SD cards - the first thing I saw on Amazon was $20ish. 8 of those is $160. Then there's the cost of the adapter.

I bought a p31 gold on sale for $90ish a few weeks ago. It's almost half the price, it sips on power and I have every reason to believe it'll last fairly long. It legitimately might outlive the guy I got it for (assume away technological obsolescence) - I don't see him making it another 30 years.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800