Am I screwed by downloading free vpn app on iphone.

Hello,

First, I am sorry if this is a off topic post.

So on my iphone I downloaded this app call "Turbo vpn", which was a big mistake.

one of the dumbest choice i ever made .

Anyway, after I finished downloading, i opened up the app and privacy policy window popped up (privacy policy agreement window) and I read the whole thing and I found out that they collect some of my data and CAN sell the third party company. so I hit the "X" button instead of "Agree" button. and the app just closed by itself.

So My question is, since I already downloaded the app, will it still collect the data from my phone even i did not agree with their privacy policy and the app closed it by itself as soon as i did not agree with it ?

like will it collect the data as soon as i download the app or do they need me to hit that "Agree" button to order to collect my info or data.

Thank you for reading! and I am sorry about my English. still learning!

oh and yeah i already uninstalled the app.

You'll be fine. iPhones (and androids too) are very much "sandboxed". With iPhones specifically, you have to give permissions to any type of access to your device explicitly. Even if you did hit "accept" to allow them to collect data, it's not going to scrub your phone and take your data. It would however start collecting your browser data and usage if you were to continue using the Turbo VPN, but only while using the VPN.

I'd just uninstall and call it a day, nothing to be concerned about.

25 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You'll be fine. iPhones (and androids too) are very much "sandboxed". With iPhones specifically, you have to give permissions to any type of access to your device explicitly. Even if you did hit "accept" to allow them to collect data, it's not going to scrub your phone and take your data. It would however start collecting your browser data and usage if you were to continue using the Turbo VPN, but only while using the VPN.

I'd just uninstall and call it a day, nothing to be concerned about.

omg thank you so much for the info and fast reply.

I recently was getting so much stress of getting so many spam call and someone try to log into my microsoft account ( they always failed since they dont know my password) .

I guess because of those, i was over worrying too much .. 

anyways i do not know what i was thinking at that time but noting is free.

again thank you for reply and now i can sleep 🙂

3 minutes ago, pinkua said:

I recently was getting so much stress of getting so many spam call and someone try to log into my microsoft account

Look into 2 factor authentication methods. Such as verifying logins via an authentication app like Authy or the Google Authenticator. Microsoft has their own authenticator as well. Other methods include getting a text code. This way if your password and login info is compromised the intruder would still need access to your 2 factor code.

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Look into 2 factor authentication methods. Such as verifying logins via an authentication app like Authy or the Google Authenticator. Microsoft has their own authenticator as well. Other methods include getting a text code. This way if your password and login info is compromised the intruder would still need access to your 2 factor code.

Sorry i forgot to say that i already have that and that is why they are tring to hack my account but failed. 

it just i felt like im exposed to those shit a lot lately after i changed my phone number.

anyways tysm for reply.

Hello,

So on my iphone I downloaded this app call "Turbo vpn", which was a big mistake.

Anyway, after I finished downloading, i opened up the app and privacy policy window popped up (privacy policy agreement window) and I read the whole thing and I found out that they collect some of my data and CAN sell the third party company. so I hit the "X" button instead of "Agree" button. and the app just closed by itself.

So My question is, since I already downloaded the app, will it still collect the data from my phone even i did not agree with their privacy policy and the app closed it by itself as soon as i did not agree with it ?

like will it collect the data as soon as i download the app or do they need me to hit that "Agree" button to order to collect my info or data.

oh and yeah i already uninstalled the app.

13 minutes ago, pinkua said:

Hello,

oh and yeah i already uninstalled the app.

It shouldn’t, but selling private data on a VPN seems sort of shady to start with.  You likely can’t get back the data they already collected, (companies that mine data like to make it as diffficult as possible to force them to remove mined data and make it as difficult and incomplete as possible, sometimes requiring paper letters and then sometimes even then not removing stuff) but uninstalling the thing may not be a bad idea.  Apple uses a package manager instead of those ridiculous “uninstall wizards” which are famous for not actually uninstalling everything an app changes or puts on a machine even when the app makers actually want to, and trusting the app creators to do it in the first place. I suspect that because it’s not a PC merely uninstalling the app may be all that is needed.  Apple doesn’t rely on the app makers to remove things. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It should be okay, but give your phone a reboot just in case.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. "Free" services always come with a catch.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

It should be okay, but give your phone a reboot just in case.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. "Free" services always come with a catch.

The key there is “services” which this is. Services have ongoing costs.  The only possible way this might be free is if it was a “funded” company that was trying to buy market share.  This apparently wasn’t the case, and even if it is that way it won’t stay free. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

-Threads Merged-

Please keep topics to one sub forum. If you feel a topic could possibly fall into two different sub forums, pick the one you think it fits best and stick with that. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It shouldn’t, but selling private data on a VPN seems sort of shady to start with.  You likely can’t get back the data they already collected, (companies that mine data like to make it as diffficult as possible to force them to remove mined data and make it as difficult and incomplete as possible, sometimes requiring paper letters and then sometimes even then not removing stuff) but uninstalling the thing may not be a bad idea.  Apple uses a package manager instead of those ridiculous “uninstall wizards” which are famous for not actually uninstalling everything an app changes or puts on a machine even when the app makers actually want to, and trusting the app creators to do it in the first place. I suspect that because it’s not a PC merely uninstalling the app may be all that is needed.  Apple doesn’t rely on the app makers to remove things. 

thanks a lot that was very helpful! thank you for reply!

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

but uninstalling the thing may not be a bad idea.

also the thing you are talking about is the app i downloaded right ?

42 minutes ago, pinkua said:

also the thing you are talking about is the app i downloaded right ?

If you simply delete the app everything else it downloaded will be gone too, and every change in other apps it made will be deleted.  That’s the beauty of package managers.  Complete removal every time.