LG 34UM95 34" Ultra Widescreen 21:9 Monitor - My New Favourite

Would be cool if it was perhaps slightly curved, could replace my eyefinity set up. 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

That looks like it should be fine :) looks quite cool actually and doesn't cost a whole lot

Tell that to my wallett

may the force be with you.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Sounds like a good choice. Considering of buying one myself. I hope they're worth it since this is like 6 of my graphic design job's worth of money xD

I Bought the 34UM65  i got it for £482, and i got to say its awesome!  

watching movies with no black bars is very cool (especially with my 5.1 surround turns my room into a sort of cinema)

Gaming is also very good much more immersive and all games i have tried so far support it  

also the colours are very nice as its  a IPS monitor, much improvement over my TV

post-6162-0-79836400-1400958531_thumb.jp

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

Would be cool if it was perhaps slightly curved, could replace my eyefinity set up. 

I just got the monitor and the only thin I wish is that it was curved. Forget about 120Hz, G-Sync and all that crap. This monitor needs a slight curvature and it would be perfect. It's too long that the far sides are too far.

Using two slightly OC'd GTX780 in SLI i get between low 70's and mid 80's in BF4 with everything maxed out and 4xMSAA.

I just got the monitor and the only thin I wish is that it was curved. Forget about 120Hz, G-Sync and all that crap. This monitor needs a slight curvature and it would be perfect. It's too long that the far sides are too far.

Using two slightly OC'd GTX780 in SLI i get between low 70's and mid 80's in BF4 with everything maxed out and 4xMSAA.

I was wondering if this would be the case. Tempted to wait to see if they release a curved edition. build quality good?

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Thanks I've been waiting for benches like this as I'm waiting to get my display!

All you folks in the states get this for 899 from here.

Thanks I've been waiting for benches like this as I'm waiting to get my display!

All you folks in the states get this for 899 from here.

Or here for $660

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Here is a couple of questions:

1) How well can my new rig with twin GTX 780 Ti Kingpin Classified in SLi be able to drive this? I have ordered this already but this was my niggling concern.

2) Will this monitor be able to run my consoles via the HDMI port? It's because I prefer to play my consoles on my monitor not in my living room's big ass tv

3) As per Linus's tip, can you please recommend a good aftermarket monitor stand that'll work with this monitor? I am not going for a multi-monitor setup.

Thanks & Cheers for your replies.

Check out Silverstone's single monitor arm. It's pretty nice, and only about $100 iirc.

Your cards are more than capable.

Sorry i never realised you quoted me lol

I might buy a 4k monitor, i keep looking every day and going...HMMMM

I have the money, just not sure....

4k is much harder to run.

Or here for $660

Because that doesn't look shady at all...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Because that doesn't look shady at all...

Never said it was legit... I think it's interesting that they're listing it even though it's technically not available.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

4k is much harder to run.

I know :) Doesn't stop me getting one though, I will just upgrade

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two of these at Frys a couple weeks ago for $899. Overall, I loved the image quality. It had among the best black levels and colors I've seen, though I wasn't able to measure with my colorimeter how accurate the colors actually are. Either way, the perception of quality or punch is slightly diminished by the light AG coating - especially when next to my glossy IPS, the much cheaper but formidable Dell S2240M. I'm not a fan of any level of AG coating, but it is a bit more tolerable on this monitor. The only thing that was immediately disappointing were white levels at any luminosity setting - possibly a sign that the static contrast ratio is not all that high. Note that I often work with monitors as high end as the Sony PVM-1741A OLED in video and movie production. Both monitors suffered very minimal light bleed and/or IPS glow everywhere except the lower left and right corners where there was a strong 3" or so orange glow that even at 90cd/m2 was quite noticeable. Motion blur was as expected for a 60Hz monitor if not a little better than typical. Even more impressive was the lack of any ghosting and overdrive artifacts until pixel overdrive was set to HIGH in the menu. Now on to the glaring issues. With both monitors there was a consistent, strange anomaly where the monitor would, after a period of time, auto change the brightness setting. It was as if the auto brightness setting would never actually turn off. If it was at 100/100, it would look appropriately bright but turn dim after a period of time I did not measure. The brightness (luminosity) level would reset to normal upon making any change to the brightness (luminosity) value but again auto switch after a short and seemingly consistent period of time. If it was at 30/100 the same thing would happen. On the first monitor, there was a loose piece of hardware of some sort rattling around inside as I installed the monitor. I didn't know what it was, so I exchanged it for another monitor, not willing to risk it. The second monitor did not have any loose hardware inside but instead had a stuck green pixel almost right in the center of the screen. I couldn't get it to go away through any of the methods found through Google, so I returned it and did not get another. The input lag seemed pretty bad. I wasn't able to measure it, so the sluggishness I felt may have been due to the substantial increase in resolution over the 1080p screens I'm used to. Obviously my Asus VG248QE is far faster than any IPS, but even my Dell S2240M feels far more responsive than this LG. I use a Corsiar M65 at 2400dpi on a Saitek Cyborg V5 mouse pad with windows mouse precision turned off and windows mouse speed at the default value. Some key points I'd like to see addressed in an in depth, technical review is exact input lag performance and static contrast ratio both out of the box and while calibrated to 6500k @ 120cd/m2 and 5000k @ 90cd/m2. Hopefully TFT Central is able to do a review soon. For now, I'm going to wait for such a review and to see what other manufactures have in store for 21:9 as I do love it - especially for video editing. 60Hz is a little annoying in games when accustomed to 144Hz, but it's not so bad that I can't get used to it. The worst part about 60Hz to me is screen tearing when Vsync isn't enabled. Some games feel awful with Vsync at 60Hz and some feel fine. I played through the entirety of Wolfenstein New Order on this monitor with Vsync 1 frame buffer and it felt fine. F.E.A.R. 1 also felt fine. Battlefield 4 felt a little sluggish with Vsync on at 60fps which could be due to a slightly increased frame render time relative to more primitive games. Borderlands 2 felt fine Vsynced @ 60.  21:9 high refresh IPS with Gsync is the dream, next to OLED.

I use the following sites and media to test and judge image quality of my monitors. I also use a Spyder 3 Pro to calibrate my displays to 5000k, 90cd/m2 as I work and play under very dim, controlled lighting. 5000k is easier on the eyes in dim lighting and makes it easier to sleep if I'm gaming or working late. I find 6500k to be too blue and too garish in a dimly lit environment.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting&background=404040&separation=1000&pps=960&pursuit=0
http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html
• http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
• Spears and Munsil Blu-ray discs Volume 1 and 2

I still have a ton of very high resolution, properly scaled 21:9 wallpapers and photos if anyone wants them. A handful of which I took/created/edited myself with my Canon T2i. I'll use WeTransfer and post the download link here to share. 

I keep forgetting to ask this question, but what does it mean by daisy-chaining thunderbolt?

Thanks!

I keep forgetting to ask this question, but what does it mean by daisy-chaining thunderbolt?

Thanks!

It has an input and output, so you go from your computer to the display with one cable, and then from that display to another display, or a storage drive, etc..

It has an input and output, so you go from your computer to the display with one cable, and then from that display to another display, or a storage drive, etc..

Thanks the name and idea makes sense and do you know the speeds of thunderbolt compared to usb 3.0 or the new 3.1?

IIRC thunderbolt is 20gbps up and 20gbps down, USB 3 is 5gbps total and 3.1 is 10gbps total.

Only a select few displays run on USB though, and about every higher end display will run with display port/thunderbolt.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Think my CF 280Xs would do a good job driving this display? I'm considering getting one (I found one open box for 30% off) but don't really want to upgrade my GPUs to do it.

Are you threatening me?!

How'd you get one at Fry's? I haven't been able to find these in stock ANYWHERE in the US. Heck, the Fry's website doesn't even have it. I really don't want to spend $1300 on a Korean import xD

How'd you get one at Fry's? I haven't been able to find these in stock ANYWHERE in the US. Heck, the Fry's website doesn't even have it. I really don't want to spend $1300 on a Korean import xD

I had gotten two at Fry's at a time B&H also had them is stock for the discounted price of $899 through sheer luck.

I had gotten two at Fry's at a time B&H also had them is stock for the discounted price of $899 through sheer luck.

That's the price I found for an open box 34" (nothing wrong with it). I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and grab it and upgrade my GPUs when I can (probably a 295X2).

Are you threatening me?!

Wow that's sheer luck for sure!

My local Fry's hasn't ever had the monitor in, and B&H has their price back up to $1000.

If I got one of those, I'd probably have to SLI my Titan to handle it though :P

Wow that's sheer luck for sure!

My local Fry's hasn't ever had the monitor in, and B&H has their price back up to $1000.

If I got one of those, I'd probably have to SLI my Titan to handle it though :P

Haha, yeah I slightly regret returning it. Especially since Anand tech's review is fairly impressive. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8057/lg-34um95-monitor-review

It's here! It's here! Unboxed it, set it on the desk, hooked it up, and... HOLY #$%#ing BALLS!!   :o  :wacko:  :wub:

I'm running the calibration with my Colormunki and my jaw is almost in my lap. Few things in the world of PCs have left me in awe over the last 10 years or so, but this monitor has. HNNGG!!

Are you threatening me?!