LG 34UM95 34" Ultra Widescreen 21:9 Monitor - My New Favourite

I'd actually like this to become a trend, I've been looking for awhile at the ultra wide monitors but the "lack" of support for many games and their prices always turn me down.

Now if this were to become a trend and lower prices for good ips versions like this one... I'd pay $700-$800 for one no doubt.

$1500? Linus, I can't buy 3 new monitors and a mount with that money... I CAN BUILD A WHOLE RIG.

Suggested improvements:

• Change the resolution to 3440X1600. This would be 2/3 the pixels of a 4K display, so still easier to drive but without 4K's scaling issues.
  • Give us OLED. The black bars on the sides of some games would not be a distraction with the perfect black levels of OLED.
  • Add a subtle curve to the panel. I'm not a fan of this on televisions, but it would provide an amazingly immersive experience on a computer monitor at this aspect ratio.
  • Make the bezel, stand, and body of the monitor out of black brushed aluminum. It's sturdier than plastic, can be used to dissipate heat, and it looks great.

That said, this monitor is amazing and I may have to buy one or possibly the Dell U3415W when that comes out. I think I prefer Dell's more traditional design.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Great video Linus! I have a few questions about Thunderbolt support that you didn't cover in your review, I would very much appreciate it if you could answer these:

• Other than powering the display and daisy-chaining, what connectivity does the Thunderbolt port provide? Is it connected to the USB hub and/or speakers?
  • You mention in the video that "only" the DP input provides 10-bit color, does that mean that you don't get it from Thunderbolt?
  • Does connecting another display via mini-DP to the daisy-chained Thunderbolt port work? (it doesn't on Apple's TB display)

I know you're busy, but I'd really like to know how this Thunderbolt display stacks up to the Apple Thunderbolt Display in these regards.

how much does it cost?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Why are all bashing about prize of thismonitor ? I mean 1500$ or 900-1000€ for a working people is affordable and nothing so out of reach.. Maybe the majority of this forum are still kids? well then it makes sence.

If Dell do one of these, I'll be happy, just because I'm OCD about monitor logo's and stuff. Still, this does seem like a pretty brilliant solution to a multiple display setup.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

Not sure why nobody searched around, b&h has this on preorder for 999, you can check the model number, it is this one, not the lesser version of the same size lg also offers. I just preordered mine with the 3 year protection plan. I'm in the process of building my new rig and it's a single gpu mini tower set up and my signature titan black wouldn't have been able to drive 4k but it won't have trouble with this. Nothing a slight overclock can't fix.

Here is the link, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040788-REG/lg_electronics_34um95_34_ultrawide_qhd_led.html

1/3rd the price and I think I would've already bought it (1069 CHF on digitec.ch (Switzerland)

This thing is pretty darn amazing..

btw I use arch

I said this somewhere before(don't know where) But I hate bezels in dual monitors too. When I'm doing homework I always feel like I'm using 2 screens not a single and most of the time I would rather switch between windows than use another one. Linus Dammit now I want this monitor! I really wasn't interested in 4k as it is going to really expensive, plus I never have owned a 1080p monitor I wanted to jump straight up to 1440p. This monitor seems perfect as it is almost like having a dual 1440p monitor. So yeh, this is on my wishlist to get someday. and seeing it priced @ about 900 to 1100 USD$ it is just about as good as getting 2 1440p monitors for $400-$500 each

Edited by GuestForeverX

My Gaming Bio thingy?  Anyhow I love co-op gaming so add me.   :) Skype/Origin/Uplay/Steam/Other -> "GuestForeverX"

Not a bad review great to see some great tech coming from the slowing evolving monitor market.

I would like to see if this monitor would handle any refresh rate increases using CRU to overclock. 60hz just doesnt cut it for FPS games like bf4 i need 120hz but dont like 1080.

Good review Linus.

I like the wide view when gaming but my next monitor will definitely have the variable refresh rate. Either G-Sync or whatever comes next :)

:ph34r:

Holy balls. This has to be used for production. Otherwise it's just not worth the price.

When this tech drops in price you will see me drop my cash. I never was enticed by 4K AT ALL (especially due to the GPU power to run these things smooth) in the first place but this excites me a hell of a lot more. The resolution seems to be the perfect balance between GPU power requirements and sharpness; unlike 1080p which needed an upgrade and 4K which is a ridiculous jump in the GPU department.Trade off some pixel density (which imo isn't a disadvantage) for something that truly enhances the user experience, any nerd should giggle with joy to see this kind of innovation. With that said, one thing that would truly make it perfect (besides lower price) is the ability to turn OFF pixels that are used in the black bars (yes I understand the implications) or at least make their presence not noticeable. Anyway, great video Linus; thanks for opening our eyes. 

i would love to get one of these but i cant afford it :( i really want to replace my duel 24 inch 1080p monitors

EDIT:even better i want 2 to put one on top of it 

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

Will buy this one and a vesa-stand this summer when the tax-refund arrives and the price of it drop a bit, my current 3x 24" IPS is starting to age and "when" they start dying I'm screwed.

BTW. Linus, is it possible to OC this monitor to 70-75hz?

Would the Lenovo 2013 X1 with an i7 ivy cpu and HD 4000 graphics be able to have a monitor like this connected?

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

I thought I cared about 4K... And for a while I truly did. Now I have this, and I don't remember why 4K ever mattered...

Linus thanks for this review \ overview

This monitor gives me a complete nerdgasm :). You know what they say "once you go ultrawide, you never go back to 16:9" lol

I am running a 29" ultrawide panel from AOC 2560x1080.

After watching your video I had a great idea.

" I wonder if I could force a custom resolution of 3440x1440 to my monitor"

So I tried and guess what...It worked. The desktop is a bit blurry so I run my typical resolution @ native 2560x1080 , however If I  apply the custom resolution in games, oh my It actually works and everything is crisp and clean!

I never would have thought of this if not for your video...Thank You

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

And it's the price of my entire build, monitors and keyboard/mouse.

Jesus. 

Just a thought, is it possible to have three of these in surround?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I like this monitor for a few reasons, price, resolution, and it's IPS!

But what I really like about it is the bezel, it's small!  I plan on using 5 of these in a eyefinity setup and thankfully it has a vesa mount which makes this possible, it's gonna be sweet but probably not happen completely until end of year or next year due to price and upgrading my PC.   The thing I plan on doing first until I get all five is run them in crossfire which will give me 2 screens per monitor well until I get all five and just keep chaning the setup as needed until completed.

I really like that $999 price point, can't believe amazon has it for almost $1.500 bucks!  B&H video has it for the lowest I could find, also what happened to the NCIX link?  

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress