Da frig is going on Lahey. Some general info and help please.

avantlyfe

So I got a new to me graphics card, and upon arrival it had some minor oil residue on it. When I pulled the cooler off I quickly found it was quite greasy and dusty. So a clean up ensued. I'm just curious if any one has any ideas what this is. Hydraulic fan fluid? Does this seem like it will be an issue or will my general iso cleaning suffice? The oil stains don't seem to dissipate. 

Thanks in advance for any insight folks! :) 

20220528_202243.jpg

20220528_202253.jpg

20220528_202301.jpg

20220528_202334.jpg

20220528_202342.jpg

residue from the thermal pads, normal.

also, i'm not sure i would use a toothbrush on the components. the bristles are strong enough to cause damage imo, haven't tried it personally though.

23 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

residue from the thermal pads, normal.

also, i'm not sure i would use a toothbrush on the components. the bristles are strong enough to cause damage imo, haven't tried it personally though.

Okay, I picked the softest one and I use it on a majority of the automotive based stuff I do but I'm new to pc's so maybe I'm being too aggressive. I'll stick to q tips. 

Is this a sign i should replace thermal pads? If so, any recommendations on picking the correct pad thickness and material? 

For reference its just a 1060 ssc 6gb. 

50 minutes ago, avantlyfe said:

Okay, I picked the softest one and I use it on a majority of the automotive based stuff I do but I'm new to pc's so maybe I'm being too aggressive. I'll stick to q tips. 

Is this a sign i should replace thermal pads? If so, any recommendations on picking the correct pad thickness and material? 

For reference its just a 1060 ssc 6gb. 

if you plan to replace them, you would want to do some googling on the correct thickness, it varies from card to card. in my experience, as long as they are still soft, not dried up, the thermals pads are fine. i use toothbrushes when doing engine detailing, very useful.

ThermalG.thumb.jpg.9f78c155c26fbe4f64e6b363a7595a87.jpgThough I am not sure what GPU is that, but as what I see that it only requires one(1) PCIE power cable, that gpu does not have heavy TDP. So I recommend just use any thermal grease you have there. Rather than replacing it with a thermal pad. I use it in my RTX2060 super before and still no leaks running 3 years now, overclocked.

I grabbed my caliper and it looks like 1mm pad, I'm sure they may be fine but with the oil coming out I'm just going to change them for peace of mind since its already open. 

@RMTM I'm only replacing the factory pads and will still be using a thermal paste for the die. I opted for gelid extreme and arctic silver 5.