Corsair Voyager Mobile Streaming Laptop, sorry Intel you're not welcome here

GhostRoadieBL

Summary

Corsair is entering the laptop market with its Voyager a1600 featuring an AMD 6000-series CPU and AMD RX6800M graphics driving a 16-inch 2560x1600 IPS 240hz 3ms response time display with FreeSync Premium for smooth high refresh rate gaming.

The biggest feature to set this laptop apart is the "S-Key" streaming key row above the slim RGB keyboard allowing unique functions to be bound similar to a Stream Deck.

246826344_MacroBar.JPG.c72c1951a06727902b818f9a3ded677e.JPG

From the product announcement video we can also see a huge glass top trackpad and macbook pro/Razer Blade sized speaker grills along each side of the MX Cherry slimline switch keyboard.

288128794_MXCherry.JPG.54b83de0511e2a02e07a2f8acfe3ab5c.JPG

Quotes

Along the top of the keyboard, the laptop features a row of S-Keys, which are similar to the Elgato Stream Deck. They allow creators to create customizable shortcuts for streams.

Since the laptop is aimed straight at streaming a 1080p webcam and 4 microphone array for ambient noise cancellation are also built into the display.

Further in the video we can see dual cooling fans, intake on the bottom and exhaust out the rear and a full width vapor chamber. Dual DDR5 Ram slots, 2 M.2 slots and a replaceable wifi module.

2059505785_VaporChamberCooling.JPG.d374f748149fb282f2c20a7eab10d81d.JPG

Full size SD UHS slot, USB 3.2 C and A ports along the right,

875629576_RightSide.JPG.e907c0b23d9ebbc4aeeac0bfdbd3c8e3.JPG

unfortunately DC Barrel plug, but also 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports and a 3.5mm combo jack on the left.

1175160598_Leftside.JPG.da9a07a88854eaa350de3725e4e2df7b.JPG

99Wh battery and coming in at 2.4kg makes this a pretty powerful contender for mobile workstation and mobile gaming in a slim barely under 20mm package.

Pricing seems to be more favorable for the higher spec'ed 6900HS model with 64GB of DDR5 and a 2TB NVME drive at $3000.

The lower spec but equally capable 6800HS, 32GB, 1TB model coming in at a much worse value of $2700 should make the upgrade a no brainer for enthusiasts looking in this price range.

My thoughts

Depending on how the Stream Deck implementation goes (Corsair owning Elgato bodes well) that macro bar would be better used for production work over streaming, like the actual StreamDeck is better utilized for production macros but was designed for streaming. I just wish they were clicky keys rather than what appear to be touch buttons.

Repair-ability looks great *(compared to others in the same price range) with multiple ported devices and everything upgrade-able at the surface, no need to remove keyboards and play around with fragile ribbon cables outside a display or mainboard swap.

Sources

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/voyager-a1600-gaming-streaming-pc-laptop

https://newatlas.com/laptops/corsair-voyager-a1600-amd-advantage-edition-gaming-streaming-laptop/

https://www.windowscentral.com/hardware/laptops/corsairs-voyager-a1600-streaming-laptop-features-an-elgato-stream-deck-in-its-keyboard

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

$3000 is rather expensive considering that the Asus G15 Advantage Edition has performance quite comparable to this, and is quite a bit cheaper 🤔

5 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

$3000 is rather expensive considering that the Asus G15 Advantage Edition has performance quite comparable to this, and is quite a bit cheaper 🤔

other than the 6000 series CPU, DDR5 vs DDR4, different screen, smaller battery, gen3 NVME and a worse cooler it's basically the same laptop. We haven't seen 6000 series vs 5000 series CPU performance yet so I can't say it's comparable yet.

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/amd-ryzen-9-6900hs-vs-amd-ryzen-9-5900hs

2 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

other than the 6000 series CPU, DDR5 vs DDR4, different screen, smaller battery, gen3 NVME and a worse cooler it's basically the same laptop. We haven't seen 6000 series vs 5000 series CPU performance yet so I can't say it's comparable yet.

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/amd-ryzen-9-6900hs-vs-amd-ryzen-9-5900hs

I thought that the Ryzen 6000 series is mostly a Ryzen 5000 with better power management features and iGPU built in?

Correct me if I'm wrong though🤔

Just now, doubleflower said:

I thought that the Ryzen 6000 series is mostly a Ryzen 5000 with better power management features and iGPU built in?

Correct me if I'm wrong though🤔

from what I've seen so far it's 9-30% faster, It has a different "socket", different iGPU and 6nm vs 7nm so it seems to be a new chip with the same layout and build design.

First AMD powered laptop that actually has thunderbolt I have seen. So does the ryzen 6000u series finally support e-gpus?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Nice specs. Definitely pricey. I guess that Corsair streamer tax tho. Also why not 17" hm.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 5/24/2022 at 6:27 AM, Origami Cactus said:

First AMD powered laptop that actually has thunderbolt I have seen. So does the ryzen 6000u series finally support e-gpus?

If they are marketing it as TB4 then it is required to support PCIe passthrough so don't see how it would not support eGPUs...

would love to know if those 2 ports each have thier own controler or they are sharing one. Very common on many laptops that if you have 2 TB ports next to each other they are sharing a single controler so if you do use them as an eGPU you need to be careful how much bandwidth and traffic you put on the other twin port as you can end up very bottlenecked.  Its one of the big improvements in the move to M1 is apple changed to have each port connected to its own set of dedicated PCIe lanes and controllers (not that there are any AMD or Nvidia gpu drivers for ARM macOS so no eGPU support but for other things it helps a lot.)

So a super unique laptop with features never seen before, from a company that doesn't usually create laptops, and what does OP choose to call out in the title?

"No Intel"....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

seems like a fun idea with a different built LCD compared to other 2nd screen laptops.

But my issue would be that having an physical button on the streaming deck that can be placed closer for easier access is a bit more fun and more buttons.

Although using this might be fun for some, quick access to their music or something.