Who's the Biggest Data Hoarder at LMG? (SPONSORED)

BellLMG

Some of us at LMG have a TON of used storage, but is it backed up properly like an organized house, or is it all over the place covering every walkable surface like a hoarder's dream? We partnered with Acronis to find out which one of us is the worst.

Thanks to Acronis for sponsoring this video!

Get 40% off Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office today with code "Linus2022" at: https://lmg.gg/acronis

I am a big data hoarder myself,

I have 12TB in use and i am running out of space 😄

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I basically run a datacenter out of my laundry room.  Raid 6 array with SSD / HDD mix depending on the content, fully mirrored to a second Raid 0 array so I have file versioning and fault protection of the main array.  SSD Cache accelerated.   Periodic cold storage backup off site in case of fire.  Blah blah.  I'd have cloud backup if I could buy internet that was faster upload speed.  As far as I can game theory...it's impossible for me to lose my critical stuff short of nuclear war.

It's all running on windows and all DIY drive racks and stuff.  I don't fuck with rackmount linux whatever bullshit because I want stuff to function instead of becoming an infinite project.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

How many photos is that to take up multiple TB of storage??? I have 1400 photos only taking up 8GB of storage. Is he keeping every single photo he takes and storing them all in raw?

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's all running on windows and all DIY drive racks and stuff.  I don't fuck with rackmount linux whatever bullshit because I want stuff to function instead of becoming an infinite project.

It's funny most Linux users, myself included, use Linux because we just want it to function. Anytime I have to use Windows, I quickly get frustrated at how difficult some things are to do. I think it's more what you are used to, than anything. I know when I added my NAS, the Linux machines, no issue. Connecting Windows PCs to it on the other hand...

As for the OP I can't say anything, my "gaming" / primary PC, has 33 TB total in it. Data gets backed up to other PCs, NAS, and externals.

27 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I am a big data hoarder myself,

I have 12TB in use and i am running out of space 😄

Same here, I have 13 TB of storage running on a Synology NAS. Though in there, I store a lot of old ISOs, software, photos, and VMs. But no backup 😞

15 minutes ago, poochyena said:

How many photos is that to take up multiple TB of storage??? I have 1400 photos only taking up 8GB of storage. Is he keeping every single photo he takes and storing them all in raw?

My Fuji takes 10MB for JPG and 55 for RAW. 24MP sensor. So about 60MB total for every picture. Once you go higher megapixel it will be even bigger

2 minutes ago, Alee14 said:

Same here, I have 13 TB of storage running on a Synology NAS. Though in there, I store a lot of old ISOs, software, photos, and VMs. But no backup 😞

4TB is backed up to a 4TB drive on a daily basis which leaves 4TB of my data without any backups.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

3 minutes ago, DamirB said:

My Fuji takes 10MB for JPG and 55 for RAW. 24MP sensor. So about 60MB total for every picture. Once you go higher megapixel it will be even bigger

yea, and? Similar for my camera. I don't see the point of keeping raw files around for very long after editing the photos. Unless he is saving every single photo he takes, and by that I mean including every unfocused and test shots, then I don't see how a single person is taking that many photos. Thats 10s of thousands of photos. I've only taken around 11,000 photos in my ~5 years of photography. I take a lot of duplicate shots to ensure focus is right, so i'm deleting a lot of photos.

Been picking parts for a storage server for a while.

Have a 12 bay case on the way that will be a storage server, primarily so that I can use it as central storage in a similar fashion to how Linus apparently does things.

Mainly so I can access all my files on any of my currently 3 work stations... Don't know why I manage to have 3 workstations in 2 rooms, one of them feels redundant, but one of them is technically my 3d rendering server...

Planning on having one of the workstations as a backup for the server itself, just in case the storage server fails catastrophically. (However, the storage server is likely going to be using fiber optics to the network switch, just to isolate it further from everything else in the network.)

But currently, my whole backup solution is a manual process of moving files to the different systems.... It sure could be better.

In regards to data hoarding, I sparingly enough don't have that much... Only 219 GB of music, a few tens of GB of software that I can semi trivially install again, a similar amount of ISO files, 300 GB of random files and about 30 GB of the finest dragon art produced by furries... And then my own projects is a few tens of GB on top. So not much to be fair.

Would I cry if I lost this? Perhaps, but the important stuff is having at least 2 backups. however currently no off site ones, so there I can improve...

Does this count as well?

Using old death HDD platters as coasters for glasses/mugs/cups

[There are about 30 platters on this stack]

image.thumb.jpeg.4d1098eafa1b2adf0cbd5464de87fb54.jpeg

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I really dont get the utility of streamers keeping so many drives worth of them playing and streaming.  If you really look at it, the odds of even you, yourself, going back and watching it are very slim, and there is essentially a zero-chance that anyone else on the planet is going to want that footage.  With the exception of maybe some of the mega famous guys.

But as basically a rando?  There is less chance anyone will be rewatching that footage than the couple that asked for many years old wedding footage.  The new age equivalent of collecting TV guides.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

xD I work for IT so I get old hardware. All functional. I can’t upload it all in a video or via pictures. Still have 12+ laptops. 10-15 desktops maybe more. 4 servers. And that’s only half my drives

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a Norco RPC-4220 case that I use for my main business server. I've been meaning to replace it after learning that the backplanes are garbage, but I haven't found anything affordable that included hot swap. I'm willing to give up hot swap as I don't really need it and have been looking at getting Rosewill's RSV-L4500U since it has overkill cooling and I've had trouble with some of the older drives I still have in service overheating (WD Re 2TB). I've looked into the RSV-L4412U but it's hot swap bays are garbage too, and the decent hot swap 5.25" cages from IcyDock and SuperMicro are too expensive for me to justify. Are there any other 4U rackmount cases that support SSB-CEB motherboards and has room for at least 12 hard drives that I might be overlooking?

1.2TB in backup.. not really much.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

41 minutes ago, TLAB said:

xD I work for IT so I get old hardware. All functional. I can’t upload it all in a video or via pictures. Still have 12+ laptops. 10-15 desktops maybe more. 4 servers. And that’s only half my drives

A tech hoarder is not the same as a data hoarder...

With the amount of stuff you have you can open a second hand store.

1 hour ago, Zberg said:

I really dont get the utility of streamers keeping so many drives worth of them playing and streaming.  If you really look at it, the odds of even you, yourself, going back and watching it are very slim, and there is essentially a zero-chance that anyone else on the planet is going to want that footage.  With the exception of maybe some of the mega famous guys.

But as basically a rando?  There is less chance anyone will be rewatching that footage than the couple that asked for many years old wedding footage.  The new age equivalent of collecting TV guides.

Compilation video?

My level of data hoarding is actually somewhat mild (we don't count Steam games, do we?), I have a 4x4TB Raid Z1 for semi-important (mostly sentimental) stuff and an additional 6TB for local backups of my main PC that are mainly just for convenience anyway, because nothing really valuable is ever kept on there. One thing I would like to add in the future is an offline backup of said sentimental files on my NAS and then store that at my parents house or something so that it's not in the same building.

Things that are actually important get saved to my NextCloud instance, which is running on a rented vserver, from there it gets synced to at least two other PCs and the NextCloud folder is also included in the daily backups my main PC does onto my NAS, which serves as an additional disaster recovery mechanism in addition to the local versioning my server does by itself and the daily backups my hosting provider does. So yeah I'll be damned if I somehow manage to ever lose that data.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

Good video!
I'm very reasonable with my data hoarding. Just a single Synology Rackstation with four 1TB WD Reds for music and important documents. 
The documents are also mirrored onto Google Drive.
And that's really it. 🙂

How do people collect so much data that is actually worth keeping?

With streaming and a reasonably fast internet connection for everything else i don't see any point in a normal person having a NAS.

There are very few things i don't want or can't afford to lose with hardware failure and these files are small enough to fit in some free cloud service.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

How do people collect so much data that is worth actually worth keeping?

With streaming and a reasonably fast internet connection for everything else i don't see any point in a normal person having a NAS.

There are very few things i don't want or can't afford to lose with hardware failure and these files are small enough to fit in some free cloud service.

Not all content is on streaming services, and if it were it would require multiple services.  So some people choose to avoid streaming services and to YARR, run their own content service via jellyfin or plex.  

It's nice to be able to watch TV when the power/internet is out, because you host it yourself!

Data hoard is like Kudzu. It absorbs all space available to it. And I'm sorry, but creative departments are the worst at data hoarding. One department I worked with had:

- Their NAS

- A second NAS

- Their old NAS that was supposed to be replaced by these two

- Space on the shared file server for all departments

- Piles of external drives

- Shares on each and every PC

- A PC under someone's desk sharing files off external drives

All hotlinked between each other. Someone complains their Premiere project is slow? It uses assets off so-and-so's machine and they only have a gigabit connection to their office.

We nuke-and-paved that whole mess years ago, now they have their slice of what's essentially our version of Petabyte Project and that's it. It's been a struggle to keep it contained, but the worst culprits have moved on.

The itch to buy more IT stuff never really goes away. I have my 144 TB server in my basement, and I still catch myself eyeing drive shelves...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Couldn't help but wonder why Jake seemed so insistent on that Norco case instead of getting a Supermicro SC-846 off Ebay?

Those tend to be fairly readily available for reasonable prices (even in the EU) and they're built like absolute tanks.

Sure they tend to start, used, at about the same price as a new Norco (based off of NewEgg prices for Norco, and EU prices for the SC-846. Apples, oranges, whatever), but this really does seem like a "you get what you pay for" kind of deal, and I'd argue the SM chassis are worth every cent.

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

How do people collect so much data that is actually worth keeping?

It's a lot of work to determine exactly what is not worth keeping. Also some people don't use streaming sites for a variety of reasons. In Canada you can create personal back-ups for items that you purchased as long as you don't try to get around DRM so that would add quite a bit more storage used up.

Damn, interesting video. But still clueless, time to learn storage stuff/riad nas etc!