The wan show has turned from tech discussions to LTT Q&A

poochyena

I'm really not a fan of how the show has changed from having a focus on tech news and discussions to now almost entirely being just LTT Q&A. Its now to the point where more than half the show is just answering questions from viewers and talking about merch. Some of the Q&A is interesting, but I don't like how it has just taken over the show now. 2 years ago I'd listen from start to finish, even through sponsors if they were new sponsors, but now I'm barely even watching through half the video since I'm interested in the tech news, not so much about what Linus's favorite hobby or whatever.

Watch something else, then.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I'm interested in the tech news, not so much about what Linus's favorite hobby or whatever.

This is roughtly the same for me. But the solution is simple and efficent: Watch it a day after the release and simply use the timestamps to only see the stuff that interests you.

12 minutes ago, poochyena said:

now I'm barely even watching through half the video

OK, so you're watching the same amount you always have. 2+ years ago it was an hour long with relatively little chat interaction, now it's 2 hours long with a lot more chat interaction at the very end. If the second half doesn't interest you, you don't have to watch it, just consider it another video tact onto the end that's shot at the same time. 

For me, most of the time it's on I'm doing something else and it's more or less just background noise. When something I'm more interested comes on, I'll pay more attention, but for the most part it's just passive listening

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Watch something else, then.

ok

10 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Stop whining. Sometimes there isn't all that much tech news to begin with 

i'm not whining

5 minutes ago, Darknighterror said:

This is roughtly the same for me. But the solution is simple and efficent: Watch it a day after the release and simply use the timestamps to only see the stuff that interests you.

yea, thats what I usually do. The time stamps really do make it much easier to watch and skip to the good parts.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, so you're watching the same amount you always have. 2+ years ago it was an hour long with relatively little chat interaction, now it's 2 hours long with a lot more chat interaction at the very end. If the second half doesn't interest you, you don't have to watch it, just consider it another video tact onto the end that's shot at the same time. 

kinda. I think its getting to the point where even though the videos are a little longer (last 2 wan shows have been 1.5 hours, not 2), its still less tech news content. Its gotten worse lately since, unlike before, they don't even wait until the end of the show do to the Q&A, its sprinkled throughout the show, making it a little less enjoyable having to skip around more.

I would prefer QA vs just tech news. Imo Linus and Luke are both rather basic, both in industry knowledge and opinions. Only times they get really good content out, is when its about gaming since both are/have been into that. Or its about retail, something Linus has done professionally. Or little bit of app-store related. Rest is same things they cover in general LTT content so why discuss about same things for 2 hours. If I want actual tech talk show, I have Level1 News.

One of the best WAN Shows to this date is when Barnacules was as guest and they talked about Wallmart (or Target or something similar) for 45mins. If you want HC tech talk/podcast, Wendell and Dr. Cutress talking about anything is must.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think this is similar to that techlinked thread from earlier today. The wan show is THE weekly livestream from lmg, if they split it into two livestreams (WAN and a community based one), that could break merch messages as a system. The popularity of the channel just leads to more people donating and asking questions. Props to them 👏

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

17 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I would prefer QA vs just tech news. Imo Linus and Luke are both rather basic, both in industry knowledge and opinions. Only times they get really good content out, is when its about gaming since both are/have been into that. Or its about retail, something Linus has done professionally. Or little bit of app-store related. Rest is same things they cover in general LTT content so why discuss about same things for 2 hours. If I want actual tech talk show, I have Level1 News.

One of the best WAN Shows to this date is when Barnacules was as guest and they talked about Wallmart (or Target or something similar) for 45mins. If you want HC tech talk/podcast, Wendell and Dr. Cutress talking about anything is must.

I think Linus has a lot of interesting insight into a lot of tech news, but yea, Luke's knowledge and opinions are fairly basic though.

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking this. I listen to the WAN show in podcast form and for a few years now it has been one of my favourite podcasts. I have noticed a change (the past few shows especially). It seems like more and more of the WAN show is about LTT and less about the industry. I find it frustrating how much they talk about LTT store now. The last few WAN shows have been the first times I have skipped fwd in the 4 years I have been listening. 

21 hours ago, poochyena said:

I'm really not a fan of how the show has changed from having a focus on tech news and discussions to now almost entirely being just LTT Q&A. Its now to the point where more than half the show is just answering questions from viewers and talking about merch.

That is what streams are for.

- Interacting with the audience

- Sharing opinions in real time rather than scripted

- Bringing on guests who the host has a good rapport with

Just some streamers get caught in the trap of answering the same questions on every stream, because new people can't be bothered to view a previous stream or read a FAQ.

And trust me on this, there is some faction of people on YT and Twitch who try to provoke the streamer into having a bad faith argument about things.

I personally like having insight into the running of a relatively new "sub-industry," and especially at the scale LTT runs at relative to some other internet content creators. Luke's insight into a bit of web-development is also pretty interesting, albeit a bit shallow in terms of the depth of the content talked about. Either way, I just like having something to listen to while doing chores. 

I am a fool