Upgrading broken H440 case to Lian Li PC-O11 XL and making it sick (Need help Q_Q)

Greetings!

My NZXT H440 Razer Edition case had some fans break some time ago, and I noticed that my components were heating up a lot because of it. I should have replaced the fans, but laziness and procrastination get the best of me. Or perhaps it is my addiction to play games. Who knows?! Either way! In order to fix the issue of the broken fans, I just opened the case and left it like that while I thought about what to do next. I could buy some new fans and call it a day, but honestly the cooling in that case sucks, and I want to take better care of my components.

Current build

CPU: Intel i7-8700K

GPU: MSI RTX 2080TI Gaming Trio or something

CPU FAN: Noctua nh-d15

RAM: G Skill 2x8gb F4-3600C15-8GTZ

Monitors: 1 Asus PG348Q (3440x1440) with a random BenQ 1080p common monitor on the side.

With my current build, I'm quite happy. The PC is powerful enough for me to play the games I currently play. I used to play more demanding games, but nowadays it's just Final Fantasy XIV and some other games casually. However, I know I will want to update my computer to a full new build of main components (Motherboard, CPU, and GPU) when the 4XXX series of Nvidia cards release, and their price is not astronomical.

With that in mind, I can either wait with what I have, and then buy everything, or I can start now by purchasing a case, all of its fans, and transfer my current build to that new chassis so that it stays nice and cool, but keeping in mind that in the future I will replace all of the internals for new ones.

MY IDEA

My aim is to have something like this:

Example 1 , Example 2 (These are just examples, and I don't want it to be EXACTLY that, but something that looks similar, clean and, pretty to look at.)

My main concerns are the following:
  • The new case, albeit giant, may not fit the Noctua CPU cooler, since I have one of the fans lifted because the RAM sticks are too bulky. You can see the fan lifted in the H440 case here, it fits PERFECTLY in that case, but there's 1 or 2 mm clearance with the cover on. 
    • I am not sure if this noctua cooler would fit. In case it does not, what should I do? Buy an AIO? In that case, which one?
  • Fans. I am not really versed in 2022 PC builds or anything, last time I looked at it was almost 8 years ago, so I am really outdated and uninformed about all of the current ways of building sick computers like the ones in the pictures above. All I know, is that I want something like those pictures, and for that I think I need these new ARGB fans. Someone recommended that I got Lian Li's own UNI Fan AL, although they are expensive they would look nice. But then again, I don't know any better, that's why I come here in search of help and counsel.
  • Case Air Flow. I don't know which directions all of the fans should be spinning to, what is the best configuration for air flow and cooling?
  • Upgradability. It doesn't have to look 10/10 from the moment I put my current components in, for example, my current PSU cables probably are ugly, since the PSU is quite old. But I wouldn't care too much about now.

All I want is to find a new home for my components, a home where they can be kept cold and functional, whilst also looking awesome behind that huge tempered glass under the light of way too many fans. 🙂 Price is not a problem (I think, don't go too crazy or unnecessary).

Thank you kindly for reading all of this, if you made it this far, and I look forward to your input! 

Kind regards, Layan.

12 hours ago, Layan Morningstar said:

Greetings!

My NZXT H440 Razer Edition case had some fans break some time ago, and I noticed that my components were heating up a lot because of it. I should have replaced the fans, but laziness and procrastination get the best of me. Or perhaps it is my addiction to play games. Who knows?! Either way! In order to fix the issue of the broken fans, I just opened the case and left it like that while I thought about what to do next. I could buy some new fans and call it a day, but honestly the cooling in that case sucks, and I want to take better care of my components.

Current build

CPU: Intel i7-8700K

GPU: MSI RTX 2080TI Gaming Trio or something

CPU FAN: Noctua nh-d15

RAM: G Skill 2x8gb F4-3600C15-8GTZ

Monitors: 1 Asus PG348Q (3440x1440) with a random BenQ 1080p common monitor on the side.

With my current build, I'm quite happy. The PC is powerful enough for me to play the games I currently play. I used to play more demanding games, but nowadays it's just Final Fantasy XIV and some other games casually. However, I know I will want to update my computer to a full new build of main components (Motherboard, CPU, and GPU) when the 4XXX series of Nvidia cards release, and their price is not astronomical.

With that in mind, I can either wait with what I have, and then buy everything, or I can start now by purchasing a case, all of its fans, and transfer my current build to that new chassis so that it stays nice and cool, but keeping in mind that in the future I will replace all of the internals for new ones.

MY IDEA

My aim is to have something like this:

Example 1 , Example 2 (These are just examples, and I don't want it to be EXACTLY that, but something that looks similar, clean and, pretty to look at.)

My main concerns are the following:
  • The new case, albeit giant, may not fit the Noctua CPU cooler, since I have one of the fans lifted because the RAM sticks are too bulky. You can see the fan lifted in the H440 case here, it fits PERFECTLY in that case, but there's 1 or 2 mm clearance with the cover on. 
    • I am not sure if this noctua cooler would fit. In case it does not, what should I do? Buy an AIO? In that case, which one?
  • Fans. I am not really versed in 2022 PC builds or anything, last time I looked at it was almost 8 years ago, so I am really outdated and uninformed about all of the current ways of building sick computers like the ones in the pictures above. All I know, is that I want something like those pictures, and for that I think I need these new ARGB fans. Someone recommended that I got Lian Li's own UNI Fan AL, although they are expensive they would look nice. But then again, I don't know any better, that's why I come here in search of help and counsel.
  • Case Air Flow. I don't know which directions all of the fans should be spinning to, what is the best configuration for air flow and cooling?
  • Upgradability. It doesn't have to look 10/10 from the moment I put my current components in, for example, my current PSU cables probably are ugly, since the PSU is quite old. But I wouldn't care too much about now.

All I want is to find a new home for my components, a home where they can be kept cold and functional, whilst also looking awesome behind that huge tempered glass under the light of way too many fans. 🙂 Price is not a problem (I think, don't go too crazy or unnecessary).

Thank you kindly for reading all of this, if you made it this far, and I look forward to your input! 

Kind regards, Layan.

i recommend the lian li 011 evo that just came out with the mesh front upgrade kit. say it can do a cpu cooler with 167mm and d15 is 165mm but the front fan over the ram might need to be removed and posably smaller fan added. maybe it can be moved to the back tower? but some mb with the plastic cover might not work. or get an aio.

but that's imo

has better cooling, upgrades, (thow often expensive...) we dont no if the 40xx will be power hogs or not so lots of cooling but i think it will be needed anyway as smaller nanometer cpus are harder to cool...

looks like the NZXT H440 Razer Edition has cpu cooler hight 180mm so if you got 3mm till it hits the side panel then i think it might fit...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

18 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i recommend the lian li 011 evo that just came out with the mesh front upgrade kit. say it can do a cpu cooler with 167mm and d15 is 165mm but the front fan over the ram might need to be removed and posably smaller fan added. maybe it can be moved to the back tower? but some mb with the plastic cover might not work. or get an aio.

but that's imo

has better cooling, upgrades, (thow often expensive...) we dont no if the 40xx will be power hogs or not so lots of cooling but i think it will be needed anyway as smaller nanometer cpus are harder to cool...

looks like the NZXT H440 Razer Edition has cpu cooler hight 180mm so if you got 3mm till it hits the side panel then i think it might fit...

Hello! Thank you for the reply.

I wouldn't mind getting an AIO for the CPU, as long as it is both compatible with the i7-8700K I currently have, and also whatever I may buy in the future, perhaps 12th gen or 13th gen?

As for the case you recommend, I did not know there was new Lian Li cases, is this new Evo only 1 size? There's no XL version of it? In that case, it is like the normal PC-O11 Dynamic?

Thank you kindly!

On 5/17/2022 at 5:47 AM, Layan Morningstar said:

The new case, albeit giant, may not fit the Noctua CPU cooler, since I have one of the fans lifted because the RAM sticks are too bulky.

The Official spec for Air cooled towers is 167mm tall. Though, you can theoretically get to 169mm before touching the glass. 

o11XL-COMPATIBILITY-1024x622.jpg

The Noctua cooler without the fans are 160mm, and in the default positions are 165mm. So that gives you 2-4mm (1/8th") of play, but sadly your fan looks offset more than that. 😞 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 hours ago, Layan Morningstar said:

Hello! Thank you for the reply.

I wouldn't mind getting an AIO for the CPU, as long as it is both compatible with the i7-8700K I currently have, and also whatever I may buy in the future, perhaps 12th gen or 13th gen?

As for the case you recommend, I did not know there was new Lian Li cases, is this new Evo only 1 size? There's no XL version of it? In that case, it is like the normal PC-O11 Dynamic?

Thank you kindly!

there no xl yet but its simer size to the 011d

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

15 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The Official spec for Air cooled towers is 167mm tall. Though, you can theoretically get to 169mm before touching the glass. 

o11XL-COMPATIBILITY-1024x622.jpg

The Noctua cooler without the fans are 160mm, and in the default positions are 165mm. So that gives you 2-4mm (1/8th") of play, but sadly your fan looks offset more than that. 😞 

@TVwazhere Thank you for your reply, those pictures are really nice to visualize it. 🙂

I guess I can get the case, try to fit the air cooler, and if it does not fit, I can get an AIO.

May I ask about your opinion on the case? EVO vs original XL?

What about the fans, I want both looks and performance. Are Lian Li's own fans good enough, or should I go with Asus, Corsair or something else? 

If I do have to get an AIO, I guess I should aim for one with triple fan radiator to take full advantage of the case. Which one could you recommend? 

Thank you kindly!

Layan.

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

there no xl yet but its simer size to the 011d

@thrasher_565 Thank you for your answer! I don't need it to be that big, I just wanted to be safe in terms of air flow, and space for future upgrades. 🙂

2 hours ago, Layan Morningstar said:

@thrasher_565 Thank you for your answer! I don't need it to be that big, I just wanted to be safe in terms of air flow, and space for future upgrades. 🙂

well the evo has the option to upgrade the front glass panel to mesh xl dose not have this option witch is best for tower cooler but if you go aio and mount it on the side then it probably wont matter witch case. if you got a really hot gpu the front intake i guess could help some but the case can intake from the bottom witch is best for gpu cooling anyway.

evo also has different place for the usb aio to be mounted, can be turned 180, has an expensive side gpu mount upgrade, its just newer well the xl looks to be able to have 3 atx psu i gues vs 2 on the evo. same fans all around it seems.

https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11d-rog/

https://lian-li.com/product/o11-dynamic-evo/

there also the lian li mini air that is smaller but still atx mb and psu and has the mesh front stock but only a 240mm, 280mm aios

https://lian-li.com/product/o11-air-mini/

as for what is the best aio i dont no most people buy em for the looks.

if you want argb fans i recommend the lian li fans or corsair fans

https://lian-li.com/product/uni-fan-sl/

https://lian-li.com/product/uni-fan-al/

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/c/Cor_Products_Cooling_Fans

Edited by thrasher_565

Thank you kindly again @thrasher_565 for your reply. ❤️ I think I will buy the EVO, since everything can fit in that one (perhaps not the Noctua but that's alright!) It also offers the possibility to have the front panel, as you well said. I will start without it, as I like that you can look "into the case" from those two angles, effectively having a nicer build. The cooling is already going to be WAY better than what I currently have, so my PC will be good. My GPU is a 2080 TI, which does get hot, but with the three fans at the bottom pulling air, plus the three on the side, I think it should be fine.

As for the fans, I will go with whichever look nice, as I assume that they both work well. 

In terms of fan size, is it better to go 2 large ones? Or 3 medium sized ones?

8 hours ago, Layan Morningstar said:

n terms of fan size, is it better to go 2 large ones? Or 3 medium sized ones?

in most case it probably dose not matter in theory the 120mm for rads "should" do better but really dose not matter just comes down to cost vs looks really.

there's a guy on youtube (gn) that is are go to guy for stuff like that and he spent like $150k usd to test fans and there air flow so soon we will no what fans are better but it will come at a cost that cheap fans that are good might go up in price...

imo i would get the mesh front just in case they stop selling the case and front peace but ya should be fine for your build.

Edited by thrasher_565