I feel like a lot of people here are either into crypto or the stock market, crypto for sure. Since crypto is worldwide its better as a forum since the stock market is only in a handful of countries. I'm personally a stock trader. (Crypto coming soon maybe.)

how are you doing today

57 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

I feel like a lot of people here are either into crypto or the stock market, crypto for sure. Since crypto is worldwide its better as a forum since the stock market is only in a handful of countries. I'm personally a stock trader. (Crypto coming soon maybe.)

Crypto is commodities in a way, though you don’t have the problem of someone showing up in a truck and dumping 5 tons of corn on your lawn or something.  It’s even sort of hot weather as a modifier though the “weather” is economic not physical.   I think of crypto miners as more farmers than miners myself. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Don't we have something like this already?

Well, got the subforum, I suppose there's a difference?

https://linustechtips.com/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

This is tech forum, not finance forum. So same as with cars, you can have megathread on Off Topic for finance discussions, but subforum would not fit. There are other forums for such.

Crypto, when it comes to mining and other technology side of it, goes under subforum linked above. Trading crypto would be same as trading currency, and so be more about finance than technology.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Don't encourage that sort of shit, we don't need that here

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Financial advice or advice on stock and cryptocurrency trading isn't within the scope of this forum. Our focus is very much on technology/IT. There is the Off Topic section for topics that fall outside the scope of the forum.

It's also worth considering that Finance/Cryptocurrency topics are something that receives a disproportionately large amount of spam as spammers target posts with related keywords. Any post about cryptocurrency/finance receives spam - even this thread has already received targeted spam for finance related scams. May as well open a forum for diet pills or penis enlargement for all the spam we'd get from it. I'll probably lock this thread in a few days to stop spam replies if nobody has anything else to add.

On 5/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, J-from-Nucleon said:

Don't we have something like this already?

Well, got the subforum, I suppose there's a difference?

https://linustechtips.com/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

That's for discussion around distributed computer projects (FAH, BOINC, Mining). It's for discussions on the technical aspects; the software, hardware, how to set it up, etc. OP wants a forum to get financial/trading advice on which stocks or coins to trade to make money.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 5/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, Spotty said:

OP wants a forum to get financial/trading advice on which stocks or coins to trade to make money.

The best way to make 1 million dollars in stocks/coins/<insert financial investment here> is to start off with 2 million dollars. Plain and simple.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 5/14/2022 at 10:27 PM, Bombastinator said:

you don’t have the problem of someone showing up in a truck and dumping 5 tons of corn on your lawn or something.

That just sounds like fun. Neighbor won't shut up about how their obscure crypto of the week is going to survive the bear market? Dump 5 tons of corn on their lawn!

14 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

The best way to make 1 million dollars in stocks/coins/<insert financial investment here> is to start off with 2 million dollars. Plain and simple.

The best way to make $1 million in crypto is to pick some obscure crypto that no one knows about, buy $10K of it, then post all over reddit about how it's the next 100x. You'll have more than enough rug to pull in a month. Lather, rinse, repeat, $1M. Shitty but true. Reddit tends to be home to the inexperienced crypto types, who will jump at any shitcoin with a flashy enough post.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

39 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That just sounds like fun. Neighbor won't shut up about how their obscure crypto of the week is going to survive the bear market? Dump 5 tons of corn on their lawn!

The best way to make $1 million in crypto is to pick some obscure crypto that no one knows about, buy $10K of it, then post all over reddit about how it's the next 100x. You'll have more than enough rug to pull in a month. Lather, rinse, repeat, $1M. Shitty but true. Reddit tends to be home to the inexperienced crypto types, who will jump at any shitcoin with a flashy enough post.

That’s a commodities futures thing.  If you let,say, a corn future mature without selling it, hey! You bought corn!  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

43 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That’s called “pump and dump” it’s a 19th century technique you try that with a stock and the securities and exchange commission will see you in jail, and trump won’t be there to let you go free.  That’s one of the big ones along with insider trading, which is what Michael milkin got dinged for.  Trump let him go though.  

50 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s called “pump and dump” it’s a 19th century technique you try that with a stock and the securities and exchange commission will see you in jail, and trump won’t be there to let you go free.  That’s one of the big ones along with insider trading, which is what Michael milkin got dinged for.  Trump let him go though.  

Key word there: "stock". It's done every day with crypto. Someone picks a random crypto with a market cap of $0.12, posts on reddit that it's the next big thing, creates a couple dozen alts to reply in agreement and shout down anyone who disagrees, then buys up a decent quantity of it to make it look hot. Reddit idiots do the rest.

Really the best advice I could give to anyone starting in crypto would be to go on reddit, find every post with some kind of unsolicited friendly advice and do exactly the opposite.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

43 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Key word there: "stock". It's done every day with crypto. Someone picks a random crypto with a market cap of $0.12, posts on reddit that it's the next big thing, creates a couple dozen alts to reply in agreement and shout down anyone who disagrees, then buys up a decent quantity of it to make it look hot. Reddit idiots do the rest.

Really the best advice I could give to anyone starting in crypto would be to go on reddit, find every post with some kind of unsolicited friendly advice and do exactly the opposite.

It was done with things other than stock in the 19th century too.  Crypto would fall under the jurisdiction of securities and exchange most likely, but it’s so new and so easy to move around it’s hard to get a handle on.  The result is folks get away with cheating people. Reminds me a bit of some government agency or other in the 1930’s showing people how carnival razzle boards were a con too.  The trick there was the croupier would cheat for you for a little while so you didn’t see how you had no chance, then stop.  Crypto itself has been called a ponzi scheme.  There’s a really old saying: “don’t take any wooden nickels”. There are lots of wooden nickels theses days.  Crypto, airline miles, alll kinds of stuff.  I try to not have anything to do with any of them myself.

Edited by Bombastinator

Locked due discussion taking turn to Off Topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv