Dual ISPs

18 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Well for Jio fiber, I have a explanation which might possibly be the reason they stop you from changing the router. The set top box which comes with it, probably only connects with those routers, also changing the router, you won't be able to set up the name and password from the my Jio app, and will lose total control.

Indeed, if it offers video or voice services they may be over their own VLAN and AFAIK typical consumer routers do not support that sort of thing, so they're not going to invest in instructions and support to do it for the few people who have compatible routers.

On the other hand they COULD support bridge mode for the Internet side.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If you're really concerned then a VPN is the only option.  Of course then you just have to trust the VPN provider isn't doing the same.

You could also always add something like a PiHole and/or DNS over TLS/HTTPS so your ISP can't tell what domains you are looking up.  With most sites using HTTPS these days, there's not much your ISP can actually snoop on if you avoid using their DNS servers.

Ultimately they can always see what IP address you are visiting, but without DNS snooping they wont know what domain on that server you are looking at.

Not a problem with I-ON but the jiofiber people don’t let me do anything with the router, except block devices and change Ssid’s and passwords 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

11 hours ago, Lurick said:

Explain to me, in simple terms, how they stole your HTTPS encrypted data?

I don’t know if they did but that said that 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

11 hours ago, VirusDumb said:

Well for Jio fiber, I have a explanation which might possibly be the reason they stop you from changing the router. The set top box which comes with it, probably only connects with those routers, also changing the router, you won't be able to set up the name and password from the my Jio app, and will lose total control.

The jiofiber set up box works with any internet connection, I tried it on ion and it worked properly, also if I change out the router, won’t the router have its own way of managing it like a web interface at the gateway IP, or it’s own app like say any tp link device ever?

also I don’t need the set up box anyway as all my tvs are smart and I have an Apple TV 4K connected to the one that isn’t 

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Indeed, if it offers video or voice services they may be over their own VLAN and AFAIK typical consumer routers do not support that sort of thing, so they're not going to invest in instructions and support to do it for the few people who have compatible routers.

On the other hand they COULD support bridge mode for the Internet side.

The video services are just a subscription to all the streaming services in India and the box runs on Internets that isn’t jios as well so this whole argument is moot