A good cooler to get for an i5-3570K?

Mr Tuk

Hello everyone!

Currently i have an i5-3570k in my system, But i'm using a stock intel cooler.

Now here is the question:

What cooler should i get for my i5-3570k?

I'm not planning to do any overclocking, but i'd really like a quiet cooler.

my budget is about 50-80 bucks.

I've heard that the Coolermaster hyper 212 evo is a good choice, but it is really loud.

i don't know if that is true but that is what i heard.

Thanks!

The Hyper 212's not the quietest, but you could switch out its fan with a Bitfenix Spectre Pro for minimal cost and have decent lighting effects and silence.

The Hyper 212's not the quietest, but you could switch out its fan with a Bitfenix Spectre Pro for minimal cost and have decent lighting effects and silence.

Thank you!

i'm sure this will help other people out aswell

If you want it to be quiet, why don't you consider pre-filled watercoolers, for example Corsair H80 or H100?

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

If you want it to be quiet, why don't you consider pre-filled watercoolers, for example Corsair H80 or H100?

Actually, many closed loop coolers are quite loud. My H100i at stock is unbearable, so is the H100 and many others.

They might be but i heard they don't cool as good 

is that true?

They might be but i heard they don't cool as good 

is that true?

The H100i basically beats every air cooler on the market. The H80i, on the other hand, is more comparable to a high-end tower air cooler.

Noctua with their ULNA (ultra low noise adapter) installed.

if you're not overclocking it will be the quietest component in your system 

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Go for something like a NZXT Havik 140, Xigmatek Dark Knight II, or a Phanteks TC12DX, All of these coolers are pretty quiet and can also keep a hefty OC pretty damn cool.

The H100i basically beats every air cooler on the market. The H80i, on the other hand, is more comparable to a high-end tower air cooler.

the H100i does beat air cooler, but it does so with a Higher DBA rating and only by a few degrees, unless you spend even more money and get 40$ worth of aftermarket fans for it, at which point the price can get out of hand.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Go for something like a NZXT Havik 140, Xigmatek Dark Knight II, or a Phanteks TC12DX, All of these coolers are pretty quiet and can also keep a hefty OC pretty damn cool.

the H100i does beat air cooler, but it does so with a Higher DBA rating and only by a few degrees, unless you spend even more money and get 40$ worth of aftermarket fans for it, at which point the price can get out of hand.

You do not have to go all the way to the high-end expensive fans to keep them quiet and still deliver performance. You could also change the fan curves using Corsair link to keep the stock fans quiet.

You can get a Hyper 212 Evo and put some noctua NF-F12 fans on it to make it silent. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm using a NH-D14 on my 3570k with the ULNA and it's pretty muich silent (you only hear the air that's getting transfered) and I able to the temps below 40°C while gaming running a moderate overclock of 4GHz. 

A cooler I always like to recommend when budget is a problem is the Mugen 3 from Scythe. Great performance to value ratio and with two silent fans it should be quiet and perform even better. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

You could take a look at the thermalright macho hr 02 . It's price/performance ratio is unbeatable. 

I use it @ 900rpm with my 3570k oc'd to 4.3Ghz @stock voltages and in prime95 it stays around 68°C on the hottest core after 30 minutes in a define r4 with stock fans. Ambient is around 21°C.

I payed around 35€/45$ for it.

I got a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 with a single NF-F12 rocking in my setup and it is nearly silent. The performance is awesome too and it doesn't cost that much.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I'm surprised at some of the suggestions on this thread. Some of you might have missed the part where OP explains: "I'm not planning to do any overclocking, but i'd really like a quiet cooler. my budget is about 50-80 bucks."

I think the NH-L12 or NH-U12S would be your best bet. While it would max out your budget, you would have the option of overclocking in the future if you ever decide to and the quality and customer support of Noctua is second to none. Noctua also makes some of the quietest fans you can find, by far - especially with the Low Noise Adapters (LNA).

That being said, if you want to go for a cheaper option, you could get something like the Hyper 212 and replace the stock fans with Noctua fans.

Heatsinks obviously don't make noise on their own, but it can be hard to know how the fin arrangement on certain heatsinks (such as the Hyper 212) interact with fans to make more noise versus a Noctua heatsink, for example.

I hear nothing but great things of the Xigmatk Dark Night Hawk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMB93_upUmI

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

so far i'm thinking of getting a Hyper 212 evo with an NF-F12.

it seems to be the best and quietest option.

I have a hyper 212 and it meh... I lost the original fan somehow and have a cheap fan mounted to it with elastics. My temps get pretty high and the stock fan can go to a very low rpm making it near silent.

Actually, many closed loop coolers are quite loud. My H100i at stock is unbearable, so is the H100 and many others.

Really? Weird. I have a Hydro H50 and it's very quiet. Even when my CPU is stressed out(clocked @ 4.4GHz), I still don't hear the pump. (I also have the fan stuck at a certain RPM regardless of temps)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have a hyper 212 and it meh... I lost the original fan somehow and have a cheap fan mounted to it with elastics. My temps get pretty high and the stock fan can go to a very low rpm making it near silent.

The Hyper 212+ is a cheap cooler. It's not going to be able to cool off a CPU as well as an H100 or something similar. Besides, what are your voltages and clocks at?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You do not have to go all the way to the high-end expensive fans to keep them quiet and still deliver performance. You could also change the fan curves using Corsair link to keep the stock fans quiet.

you cna, and your right its not necessary for decent performance, but at lower speeds where the fans are quieter, the temps will be on par with a large air cooler that produces the same noise and costs less, which is why ive never really liked AIO's

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

I currently have a Dark Knight ii and I am happy with my small overclock. it idles at like 25 degrees c but i changed the xigmatec fan with corsair sp120. even with the stock fan, it idled at like 34 degrees. dont know if that'll help

you cna, and your right its not necessary for decent performance, but at lower speeds where the fans are quieter, the temps will be on par with a large air cooler that produces the same noise and costs less, which is why ive never really liked AIO's

Not really. I had a NH-D14 before and my H100i at a quiet fan curve still beats it by over 8 degrees.

Really? Weird. I have a Hydro H50 and it's very quiet. Even when my CPU is stressed out(clocked @ 4.4GHz), I still don't hear the pump. (I also have the fan stuck at a certain RPM regardless of temps)

Everybody is more or less sensitive to certain noises. You might not hear the pump or aren't annoyed by it, but others will. ;) 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900