Protecting Modem and Router from Dust?

jgilbreath77

Hello! My I just moved into a new place and our inbound internet connection enters into through the garage. Is there a recommended method/hardware to protect our modem and router from dust. I considered putting them in boxes, but didn’t want to impede to much airflow. 

I plan on running CAT6 throughout the house and installing a switch to distribute the connection. 

Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about it much and just clean them off regularly, probably every 3-6 months would be fine depending on the amount of dust getting on the stuff, could definitely go longer if it's not crazy dusty like in a dry desert area.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

as long as they're fanless, it's hard to see how they could gather so much dust it's problematic over anything less than a very extended amount of time.

i've had a modem survive 13 years in a damp, dusty garage.

You shouldn't need to worry too much in most cases. The devices can tolerate some dust and they generally have no fans, so it's not like they vacuum up dust like PCs do. If you want to protect them, some box with a fine (plastic!) mesh could work to allow in air while also serving as a dust filter.

~edit: Just make sure the container doesn't act as a Faraday cage in case this is a Wi-Fi router, or you'll have no signal. You'd need something with a plastic or cloth mesh.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 hours ago, jgilbreath77 said:

Is there a recommended method/hardware to protect our modem and router from dust.

Yeah, set an alarm on your phone for the Xth of every month, and use a vacuum cleaner on them when the alarm goes off.

This method is very overkill, but if something dies you know it's not due to dust/detritus build up.

If your modem/router was free from your ISP, then don't bother, just get a new one every 18-24 months by complaining; "Yes the light is on!" to tech support, whilst it's literally unplugged from the PSU.