Do NOT purchase a HP omen 35l

WaterBestDrink

I got this prebuilt about 4 months ago because it was the best perf/$ at the time, even comparing to building a computer myself (which i've done several times before). 

First off, Windows 11 is garbage. Having the settings menu up somehow takes up 10%+ CPU time, and the built in OMEN gaming hub (where you can control fan speeds, overclocking etc) is buggy garbage. Everytime you switch fan speeds the computer hangs for half a second.

Secondly, this thing is a TOASTER OVEN. My CPU is constantly over 90c, even when doing light work with the fans set to "performance". Gaming at all makes it sound like a jet is taking off, and its constantly thermal throttling. The 3080 ti inside is getting like half the performance it should because the memory is so hot all the time.

HP decided to put a tiny 120mm liquid cooler on the CPU, with a single 80mm exhaust fan at the rear. For an 11700k, this is WAY too small, and you can't even put a larger one in. Theres no physical space to put in a 240mm.

Thirdly, the BIOS is super locked down, the only memory timing you can change is in the OMEN software, 3466mhz isn't even default and you have to set it there. You also can't buy third party ram to extend it past 32gb if you wanted to.

DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE. The price difference between this and another 3080ti prebuilt is NOT worth it, at a minimum to make it work properly you'd need to.

Replace the CPU cooler, motherboard AND case, which would be more expensive then buying a different prebuilt in the first place.

HP Prebuilts like this are pretty well known for being hot garbage. The only reason they ship 120mm/140mm coolers is cause its so much easier to do so then putting air coolers on. Since then they actually have to put effort into packing the stuff in

One day we will be able to just have ewaste type products recalled

• 3 weeks later...

I contemplated buying a prebuilt during the great GPU shortage. I am glad I did not.

Thanks for the review.