Lenovo laptop lags for 5 seconds, then runs smooth, then lags again.

Go to solution Solved by TheUnknown7,
On 4/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, ErykYT3 said:

Maybe its something to do with RAM filling up? 

Looks like you're running games on integrated, perhaps it could be thermal throttling, could you share temps or look into how those affect your experience and report back?

About RAM filling up, I did some tweaks here and there and managed to got good enough available ram, and then I tested the low spec browser game, and could not get the game to start lagging. It would keep running smooth 60fps.

Here are the temperatures: image.thumb.png.633b3b8d20ff7271d2a287b5a52c6342.png

Though, when I tried to run the high spec game, on highest settings, (Note: it does run 60fps extremely smooth, the hardware is capable), but it started lagging every 5 second.

I opened up the temperatures and discovered that the CPU temps would reach 100° every time it lagged. And as the temps reached 100°, the CPU clock drops from 2.5GHz down to just 700MHz. Which proves its being thermal throttled.

I think I will have to look for cooling solutions 😅

image.png.a5bf01c0b6730b88dd3f22c9ebc603c5.png

Anyway, thanks all of you for your time 😄

Problem Description:
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad L440 and the problem goes like this, while running any game (any at all, even low spec), I will get an extremely smooth 60fps experience, after a while though, the FPS will dip to a laggy 15-20fps. It will go like this for around 5 seconds, then returning to the smooth 60fps experience. It happens very consistently. Moreover, this isn't just games. It also happens while working with Windows or browsing the web.

Specs:

Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.239)
Lenovo ThinkPad L440
Intel Core I3 4000M @ 2.4GHz

Intel HD Graphics 4600

4gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz

466 GB HDD (Main Drive)

My Troubleshooting Attempts:
I have been monitoring on the GPU usage from Task Manager performance tab. I have noticed that as soon as the fps will drop, I will see an increase in GPU activity. For example, if the game was using 55% of the GPU while smooth experience, the GPU usage will jump upto 99% and I will experience the lag. (Playing browser game 'Krunker' in this case) (GPU usage attached below)Image1.png.fafca8cb488aede6ac2f257a53ee0afd.png

I have also noticed that it wouldn't be lagging at first for a few minutes, and then the it starts lagging pretty consistently.
While playing Far Cry 3, the GPU usage will be at around 99% and it would still start lagging, even though the GPU usage maxes out at 100%.

Other Information:

I have been experiencing this problem since ever I got this laptop. I have not messed up with any of the Windows settings, nor installed any new programs, nor messed up with hardware settings. Though, recently, I have tried messing with Power Plans, and setting CPU minimum power state from 5% to 100%. I have also set Graphics Power plan to Maximum Performance. Though none of this made any change. Also one more important point to mention is that I have the laptop plugged in while I game.

I have no idea what's causing this and how to fix, need help! Thanks 😄

16 minutes ago, TheUnknown7 said:

I have also noticed that it wouldn't be lagging at first for a few minutes, and then the it starts lagging pretty consistently.

Looks like you're running games on integrated, perhaps it could be thermal throttling, could you share temps or look into how those affect your experience and report back?

31 minutes ago, TheUnknown7 said:

GPU usage attached belowImage1.png.fafca8cb488aede6ac2f257a53ee0afd.png

Well, umm, the laptop is too weak for what you're trying to run, simply?

This is a very good screenshot btw, it shows cpu, and memory,  are almost maxed out, the gpu is *regularly* maxed out, thats whats causing you issues, even if things arent at 100% (all the time) there will be a lot of data shuffling in the background  - to keep things going - which is good - but it will be noticable  "hickups" in something like  a game...

So what you need to do is also simple, in theory: lower settings,  and especially  resolution (if thats an option,  if it isnt then it won't be easy or possible at all Im afraid)

ps: you can also try limiting the framerate to 30fps, it might just do the trick for some games.

personally i prefer lowering resolution to get more performance/ smoooth gameplay,  but also possibly both needs to be done.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thinkpad nerd here, I have many thinkpads and have experienced this issue on aforementioned many thinkpads.

If you have any of the Lenovo Thinkvantage stuff installed, uninstall it, particularly the Lenovo power manager, it’s well known for causing this issue.

Secondary causes from potential first to just raw performance last:

-check windows power plan settings to make sure you don’t have any weird gpu/cpu power limiting settings going on

-make sure it’s not thermal throttling, I doubt it but spiking thermals can cause stuttering 

-reinstall igpu drivers, just to be on the safe side

-make sure intel igpu settings are optimized for performance 

Here’s the performance ones:

-you have 4gb of ram and the igpu is supposedly allocating 1.9gb of that, that’s going to cause other huge problems as you hit the swap file over and over, upgrade the ram,

ddr3 sodimms are cheap

-2c/2t is also a limitation here, the i7 4600m is 35$ on average to move to a higher clocked, 2c/4t with more cache, it’s a haswell non-ULV system so it’s socketed and upgradable 

As well try running Linux and see if anything fares any better with Linux, sometimes it’s just finicky windows stuff.

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

Thinkpad nerd here, I have many thinkpads and have experienced this issue on aforementioned many thinkpads.

If you have any of the Lenovo Thinkvantage stuff installed, uninstall it, particularly the Lenovo power manager, it’s well known for causing this issue.

Secondary causes from potential first to just raw performance last:

-check windows power plan settings to make sure you don’t have any weird gpu/cpu power limiting settings going on

-make sure it’s not thermal throttling, I doubt it but spiking thermals can cause stuttering 

-reinstall igpu drivers, just to be on the safe side

-make sure intel igpu settings are optimized for performance 

Here’s the performance ones:

-you have 4gb of ram and the igpu is supposedly allocating 1.9gb of that, that’s going to cause other huge problems as you hit the swap file over and over, upgrade the ram,

ddr3 sodimms are cheap

-2c/2t is also a limitation here, the i7 4600m is 35$ on average to move to a higher clocked, 2c/4t with more cache, it’s a haswell non-ULV system so it’s socketed and upgradable 

As well try running Linux and see if anything fares any better with Linux, sometimes it’s just finicky windows stuff.

i didn't know u can upgrade the cpu... thats why i thought upgrading the ram wouldn't help much... but both might.

Still, Id try lowering settings and resolution first to see if it does anything,  lower res should also decrease ram usage, right?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, ErykYT3 said:

About RAM filling up, I did some tweaks here and there and managed to got good enough available ram, and then I tested the low spec browser game, and could not get the game to start lagging. It would keep running smooth 60fps.

Here are the temperatures: image.thumb.png.633b3b8d20ff7271d2a287b5a52c6342.png

Though, when I tried to run the high spec game, on highest settings, (Note: it does run 60fps extremely smooth, the hardware is capable), but it started lagging every 5 second.

I opened up the temperatures and discovered that the CPU temps would reach 100° every time it lagged. And as the temps reached 100°, the CPU clock drops from 2.5GHz down to just 700MHz. Which proves its being thermal throttled.

I think I will have to look for cooling solutions 😅

image.png.a5bf01c0b6730b88dd3f22c9ebc603c5.png

Anyway, thanks all of you for your time 😄