Monitor size and resolution

I am wondering what size monitor will be good. I think 24" will be too small but I am coming from a 13" and 15" lcd (dual setup)

Also what resolution should be good. I am just doing gaming and have an i5-4590 and 1650. I push out 230+ fps in esports games but only 80+ in AAA like COD:Warzone

Is a bigger or ultrawide1080p worth it or a smaller 1440p.

Because I am just gaming could I upscale the monitor? All in all I am asking, what size, aspect ratio, resolution, and refresh rate should I get.

I am going to soon get a cpu upgrade (i7-4790k) and 16gb ram

With that system I would go for a 24 inch 1080p high refreshrate monitor. Your system really isn't meant to run 1440p and upscaling from 1080p just looks bad imo. Also 1080p high referate displays are fairly cheap compared to 1440p so no point in spending more than you really need. Now even 1080p 240hz monitors are fairly inexpensive while you can get a 1080p 144hz for even less. 

With those specs stick to 1080p.

24" if you sit within one meter from the screen or 27" if you sit further away. 

I find the pixel density to be too low at 1080p 27" if I sit too close. 

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

With those specs stick to 1080p.

24" if you sit within one meter from the screen or 27" if you sit further away. 

I find the pixel density to be too low at 1080p 27" if I sit too close. 

yeah I sit like 2 feet away

Since you came from pretty small screens, I'd say get a 24" monitor. The first time I got my first Full HD monitor back in the day and also 24", it felt like the difference was massive.

Then I stepped up to a 27" screen and it was only a tad bigger. 32" is still too big for me.

Anyway, I suggest you get a 24" 144hz screen or 165hz screen. For competitive gaming you can also look at 240hz screen.

You would need a gamer like screen with 1ms response time and IPS panels are pretty good and pleasant for the eye.
As for comparing monitors, sometimes you would have to check reviews to see if they have something like ghosting, smearing or bad blacks for example.

Depending on your GPU, you could also spend more to get a G-Sync (for Nvidia) or Freesync (for AMD) supported screen. It prevents tearing when V-Sync is off.

If you really want 1440p, then look at the Samsung Odyssey line up, they have 1440p high refresh rate screens for a good price ($250'ish).

You can't get small 1440p screens, they start at 27" I believe.

A quality 24" 1080p display, would match your specs fine. AOC 24G2(U) is a good display.

However if u want to think ahead, for future possible PC builds then a 27" 1440p display is a good bet.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I would look for used.  I've said it countless times; in 2022, I cannot recommend buying a new 1080p monitor--not unless your income directly depends upon it (eg. 360hz refresh rate for competitions).

Save the money.   You clearly have room for upgrades with a 4th gen CPU and a 1650.  You should ideally be saving for 11th or 12th gen upgrade--not wasting time with an in-generation upgrade to another out-of-date CPU.  So until you can afford to do that and get a better GPU--i'd just stick to a used 1080p display--whatever you can find.  Even a 1080p TV will probably work just fine.

Don't get suckered into shelling out for "better refresh rate".  1080p is dying (it should already be dead, but that's another discussion).  Wasting money on outdated tech is one of the worst things you can do when you are already short on cash.

p.s.

I sit well within 1 meter of the screen, and I am perfectly comfortable with a 40" 16:9.  YMMV. 

32 minutes ago, IPD said:

I would look for used.  I've said it countless times; in 2022, I cannot recommend buying a new 1080p monitor--not unless your income directly depends upon it (eg. 360hz refresh rate for competitions).

Save the money.   You clearly have room for upgrades with a 4th gen CPU and a 1650.  You should ideally be saving for 11th or 12th gen upgrade--not wasting time with an in-generation upgrade to another out-of-date CPU.  So until you can afford to do that and get a better GPU--i'd just stick to a used 1080p display--whatever you can find.  Even a 1080p TV will probably work just fine.

Don't get suckered into shelling out for "better refresh rate".  1080p is dying (it should already be dead, but that's another discussion).  Wasting money on outdated tech is one of the worst things you can do when you are already short on cash.

p.s.

I sit well within 1 meter of the screen, and I am perfectly comfortable with a 40" 16:9.  YMMV. 

what resolution is your 40"

17 hours ago, 675409 said:

what resolution is your 40"

3840x2160.  Anything less and the PPI would be blocky.

And I would upgrade to 55" 8k, curved---if I could.