Enough watts for a Sapphire Toxic 6900 XT AC - 750W

SkyStreaker

So, next month I'll be spending that sweet holiday allowance on a GPU, being a Sapphire TOXIC AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Air Cooled I'm wondering if my current powersupply will suffice. When possible, I'm upgrading the CPU as well at the end of this year, perhaps to a 5700G (APU is my preference, because some DX11 games have trouble with modern GPU's with a lot of VRAM, in my experience) or maybe even a 5800X3D if I'm not happy with the bottleneck on 1440p gaming.

The system features:

- MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus
- 4650G Pro (PBO is on)

- 2x G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C14D-16GVKA (OC on 1733-14-14-14-34-1.45v)
- Asus Xonar AE soundcard
- Intel Wi-Fi 6Gig+ Desktop Kit (AX200 chip)

- BeQuiet Pure Loop 240
- 2 NVME / 2 SSD / 1 Mechanical

- 3 Scythe fans / 2 BeQuiet
- SeaSonic Focus PX-750 (80+ Plat.)

So, the short question is: a 6900XT with a possible AMD 8C/16T upgrade, will 750W be enough?
Personally, doing some amount of investigation (if I'm correct) I'm about a 100W away from 750W and the SeaSonic should be able to handle some amount of overload for longer periods of time.

The short answer, yes. The long answer, also yes. When you enter a 6900XT, a 5700G (or similar) and other parts into a power supply calculator like Outervision you will see that the recommended minimum psu size is 550W. 750W is more than an enough.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

3 minutes ago, SkyStreaker said:

So, the short question is: a 6900XT with a possible AMD 8C/16T upgrade, will 750W be enough?

Probably. Since you already have the PSU you may as well give it a try. If it's not enough the system will shut down under load then you can look at buying a new power supply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

The short answer, yes. The long answer, also yes. When you enter a 6900XT, a 5700G (or similar) and other parts into a power supply calculator like Outervision you will see that the recommended minimum psu size is 550W. 750W is more than an enough.

Outervision is not even really a good reference, as these things go. They're known to overestimate, and their calculator asks you to include how many monitors you're running as if the computer's PSU has to power the displays, which is just stupid. 

That said a good 750W PSU is probably going to be sufficient. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

That link is damn useful, thanks!! Overestimation isn't good though... 😕

And to both, thank you! 🙂

@Middcore I kind of use the PCPartpicker site for a rough estimate, to be honest.

3 minutes ago, SkyStreaker said:

That link is damn useful, thanks!! Overestimation isn't good though... 😕

And to both, thank you! 🙂

@Middcore I kind of use the PCPartpicker site for a rough estimate, to be honest.

PCPP's calculator is good enough.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6900XT looks to pull ~360W if you're overclocking it (source), 5800X3D peaks ~130W (source). If you went with a 5700G, those peak at ~90W (source) so even less. You're looking at ~490W for the hungriest CPU/GPU combo, maybe a bit more of it's a nutty AIB card with an even higher power limit. Well within the capabilities of a quality 750W unit. If your Seasonic unit is one of the ones that struggled with high transient spikes starting with the AMD Vega cards (IIRC this was fixed on newer models), then you could run into some issues as apparently Navi does have some transient spikes as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@Zando_ struggles/issues as in? Or perhaps the better question would be how to find out if I have a newer model?

I've ran some 6600's and a powerhungry slightly OC'd R9 Vega and didn't run into issues, as a sidenote.

7 minutes ago, SkyStreaker said:

Or perhaps the better question would be how to find out if I have a newer model?

The model with issues is SSR-750PX. The fixed one is Focus-PX-750

Make sure you connect each 8 pin socket on the videocard with a seperate PCI-e cable. Don't use daisychained cables!! The cables and connectors Seasonic use are to weak for daisy chain.

I have a Focus PX-750. I have one straight cable and 2 daisychained, if I use the daisychained as a "straight", would that suffice? As the load would practically be the same. Or I'll buy some quality cables from brands insightful people would recommend.

@--SID-- https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-basics-eps-8-pin-cable-extension-black-30cm/ - buying 3 of these, would that suffice?

You can you a daisy chained cable as a straight if you use the first 6+2 pin connector.