Looking for the easiest/best STABLE overclock for my gpu

Chaos Network

EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2 Gaming ICX

I have had this card coming up on 2 years this June. Bought it second hand and just never got around to overclocking it. My old GPU was a 980ti, also from evga, and the buddy I bought it from had installed some odd nzxt aio style cooler on it and I was able to OC the absolute piss out of it. In fact it was a crazy enough OC, I actually did not notice much difference switching to the 1080ti other than vram capacity.

My main reason for wanting this OC is that i have a 1080p 144hz monitor that I just cant get that consistently in a few modern AAA titles such as Halo Infinite (sat about 70fps on medium) and call of duty cold war (honestly dont remember what i get)

This card is installed in my system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x  at 3.8ghz (MSI Game boost turned up to 11 as of today, was running at base clocks before

Ram: HyperX 2x32gb 3600 kit (was on XMP profile 1, turned that to profile 2 today, have yet to notice any difference)

Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE (MS-7C35) ~ this board has killed 2 samsung 970 pro m.2 drives and one inland professional m.2, getting sick of it.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2 Gaming ICX ( Currently running stock, thats what this post is about)

Cooler: the age old Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120 AIO (had this since my first build on gen 1 ryzen, i get good temps so no reason to upgrade)

Storage: Several sata SSDs and a hdd. Currently booting from a 240gb Sata ssd i have set up as my "backup boot drive" because these m.2s keep dying and i have one out on rma currently

Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer edition

image.thumb.png.f71427d926a7f60c2d07ea1fa29391b8.png

Any help/suggestions from a professional is appreciated. I already have MSI afterburner installed so i am set and ready to go. 

I may not reply instantly on here, so feel free to message me on discord @CnKole#7887

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

In my experience, if you aren't willing to deal with potential instability then GPU OC'ing isn't for you.

If you are willing to learn, a good start is to understand the differences between core clock, mem clock, voltage, power limits and temps. All 1080 Ti's perform a little different under OC and what works for someone may not work for you. Some programs will run stable while others may be unstable on the same settings.

That being said, you're pretty safe to adjust the sliders on MSI Afterburner without causing significant damage. It may crash if you go too aggressive, but a reboot will fix that.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

3 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

In my experience, if you aren't willing to deal with potential instability then GPU OC'ing isn't for you.

If you are willing to learn, a good start is to understand the differences between core clock, mem clock, voltage, power limits and temps. All 1080 Ti's perform a little different under OC and what works for someone may not work for you. Some programs will run stable while others may be unstable on the same settings.

That being said, you're pretty safe to adjust the sliders on MSI Afterburner without causing significant damage. It may crash if you go too aggressive, but a reboot will fix that.

Not necessarily looking for the most stable, but usable without constantly crashing. lmao

Where would you recommend i start?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

I had 3 of these cards and they all overclocked the same.

Spoiler

1080tiHeaven.thumb.jpg.0e3b391bf54e2145efb24ae9c15b2720.jpg

As for stable. There are some games that don't like any overclock on this card.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

- Install and run Kombustor based from your monitor resolution.

In MSI Afterburner(keep Kombustor running):

- max-out(adjust to full right of the percentage bar) your power limit. Click on "Apply".

- add 200Mhz to gpu's memory clock. Click on "Apply".

- then add 100Mhz to the gpu's core clock. Click on "Apply". Then keep adding, in 2Mhz increments, to your gpu'c core clock. And click "Apply" everytime you add 2Mhz. Wait for at least 10 seconds, then keep adding the 2Mhz to the gpu core clock until your system hangs and/or reboots.

Don't worry, your system will be just fine. When it hangs and/or reboots, that means you have reached the full capability of your gpu based from your overall system setup. Just remember where were you on the gpu core clock MHZ figure before it hanged and/or rebooted. Because the gpu core clock number(in MHZ) before the last figure you've added is your stable gpu overclocked value. Go back to the afterburner and input that last stable gpu core clock number(Mhz). Save a profile number, and apply. Then you can now enjoy your newly overclocked gpu settings.

Note: Just make sure that your gpu fans are not running on default firmware configuration. To maximize gpu cooling effiency.

Enjoy and have fun!

8 minutes ago, RMTM said:

- max-out(adjust to full right of the percentage bar) your power limit. Click on "Apply".

- then add 100Mhz to the gpu's core clock. Click on "Apply". Then keep adding, in 2Mhz increments, to your gpu'c core clock. And click "Apply" everytime you add 2Mhz. Wait for at least 10 seconds, then keep adding the 2Mhz to the gpu core clock until your system hangs and/or reboots.

Don't worry, your system will be just fine. When it hangs and/or reboots, that means you have reached the full capacity of your gpu based from your overall system setup. Just remember where were you on the gpu core clock MHZ figure before it hanged and/or rebooted. Because the gpu core clock number(in MHZ) before the last figure you've added is your stable gpu overclocked value. Go back to the afterburner and input that last stable gpu core clock number(Mhz). Save a profile number, and apply. Then you can now enjoy your newly overclocked gpu settings.

Enjoy and have fun!

Ill try this and let you know how it goes

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

3 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

Ill try this and let you know how it goes

Great! Kindly do us(here) a favor and screenshot your stable overclocked values using MSI afterburner. It can help other OPs as well. Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Don't worry, your system will be just fine. When it hangs and/or reboots, that means you have reached the full capacity of your gpu based from your overall system setup. Just remember where were you on the gpu core clock MHZ figure before it hanged and/or rebooted. Because the gpu core clock number(in MHZ) before the last figure you've added is your stable gpu overclocked value. Go back to the afterburner and input that last stable gpu core clock number(Mhz). Save a profile number, and apply. Then you can now enjoy your newly overclocked gpu settings.

Enjoy and have fun!

What do i do if the stress test keeps crashing, it started crashing after i hit apply on the 100mhz core clock increase. and what about core voltage %, do i do anything with that?

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 hour ago, Chaos Network said:

Ram: HyperX 2x32gb 3600 kit (was on XMP profile 1, turned that to profile 2 today, have yet to notice any difference)

Kingston's Profile 2 usually lowers down your clock speeds(depending on the model you have) but boosts your RAM sticks Latency(CL##-##-##-##). The lower the CL timings, the better for your system. It will just give you a bit more responsive system. Not much to notice on the overall speed.

4 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

What do i do if the stress test keeps crashing, it started crashing after i hit apply on the 100mhz core clock increase

Some gpu builds/manufacturers do that. Or a power unit(psu) can do cause that. But no worries. As what I have mentioned above, it depends on your system overall setup. You can start from 50Mhz on gpu core clock. Then do the 2Mhz increments again. Until you reach its maxed value.

9 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Some gpu builds/manufacturers do that. Or a power unit(psu) can do cause that. But no worries. As what I have mentioned above, it depends on your system overall setup. You can start from 50Mhz on gpu core clock. Then do the 2Mhz increments again. Until you reach its maxed value.

Got to 62 stabley and went to 64 and then the stress test crashed and this happened. Just to make sure, I’m not supposed to touch core voltage %, correct?

my system is still running and I can hear people on discord and I can still use everything, just these artifacts

0F046775-3E7C-46E6-8F46-EB9BB0ABF83E.jpeg

Edited by Chaos Network
Forgot pictured. Added pic

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

7 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

Got to 62 stabley and went to 64 and then the stress test crashed and this happened. Just to make sure, I’m not supposed to touch core voltage %, correct?

my system is still running and I can hear people on discord and I can still use everything, just these artifacts

Yes. You can leave both memory clock and power limit overclock settings you did earlier untouched.

Try to reboot. and see if those artifacts will be gone. If not, the +62 is not stable for you then. You have to lower it in 2 incerements.

1 minute ago, RMTM said:

Yes. You can leave both memory clock and power limit overclock settings you did earlier untouched.

Your stable gpu overclocked value(additive) is then "+62Mhz"!

Enjoy!

went back down to 62 and the stress test crashed after about 3 minutes, should i then go down to 60?

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

Just now, Chaos Network said:

went back down to 62 and the stress test crashed after about 3 minutes, should i then go down to 60?

Yes. I edited my comment above when I saw the pixelized artifacts.

3 minutes ago, RMTM said:

Yes. I edited my comment above when I saw the pixelized artifacts.

60 crashed the test at 3:16, starting to think this test just dont like me lmao

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

1 minute ago, Chaos Network said:

60 crashed the test at 3:16, starting to think this test just dont like me lmao

So sorry to hear that. But just don't give up yet. There is still one more that you can try. You can try the automatic OC feature of Afternburner.

1922708839_afterburnerOCScanner.jpg.a52f028bbd21d346dd60f1d174e4cdd4.jpg

You may then save the OC profile once it's done auto overclock scanning your gpu. It should be stable, on the OEM manufacturer side.

4 minutes ago, RMTM said:

So sorry to hear that. But just don't give up yet. There is still one more that you can try. You can try the automatic OC feature of Afternburner.

1922708839_afterburnerOCScanner.jpg.a52f028bbd21d346dd60f1d174e4cdd4.jpg

You may then save the OC profile once it's done auto overclock scanning your gpu. It should be stable, on the OEM manufacturer side.

image.thumb.png.b5b93b830fe18c109642c6776deadc4a.png

Just did this run on heaven and it went perfectly at 60, but when i went to take the screenshot, the pixelation artifacts came back, so i really dont know at this point

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

2 minutes ago, Chaos Network said:

image.thumb.png.b5b93b830fe18c109642c6776deadc4a.png

Just did this run on heaven and it went perfectly at 60, but when i went to take the screenshot, the pixelation artifacts came back, so i really dont know at this point

Try the Afterburner's auto Overclocking Scanner I commented above.

1 minute ago, RMTM said:

Try the Afterburner's auto Overclocking Scanner I commented above.

doing that now

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

6 hours ago, Chaos Network said:

Try reducing the VRAM OC, this looks a lot like memory corruption.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64