Coax Internet/computer speed up

corvettefan4life
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
39 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

Is Coax internet slower than Fiber internet? If so how do I improve speeds? Also how could I check if I have fiber cables running into my house? 

Coax internet can be slower. Essentially download wise the fastest speed I have seen on Coax is 1.4Gbps, however the fastest speeds on the upload I have seen is around 45 to 50 Mbps. Fastest Fiber speeds I have seen offered at least to a residential customer at an some what affordable price in the US is AT&T's 5 Gbps service for just under $200 a month. Fiber speeds will be symmetrical across the Download and upload generally. 

8 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

I am in the United States

Who's your ISP? Im from the US as well and keep track of a lot of this. 

Another question, I have 2010 iMac lying around. Do you think a new SSD would speed it up drastically? I mainly use my 2020 MacBook Pro for daily use. 

1 minute ago, corvettefan4life said:

Another question, I have 2010 iMac lying around. Do you think a new SSD would speed it up drastically? I mainly use my 2020 MacBook Pro for daily use. 

It has a SATA port, max speed is going to be 550 Megs or so based on the limitation of the SATA spec. If you currently have a SSD connected then no its not going to do anything. If you are still using a HDD then yes it will be a good upgrade. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It has a SATA port, max speed is going to be 550 Megs or so based on the limitation of the SATA spec. If you currently have a SSD connected then no its not going to do anything. If you are still using a HDD then yes it will be a good upgrade. 

maybe I'll try it thanks for all of the help!!

its nice to have a community of people to chat about this stuff instead of just trying to make your best judgment 

2 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

maybe I'll try it thanks for all of the help!!

I would make sure there is not some special thing you need to do to get it to work. Apple can be funny. I know with the new MacBooks that had upgradable M.2 SSD's you had to use some kinda of adapter because well Apple. Ive seen people suggest updating the OS before you install new storage because Apple wont upgrade the firmware if you use "Non" apple storage. Its weird. 

10 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

I mainly use my 2020 MacBook Pro for daily use. 

Intel or Apple Silicone? I have a 2020 Intel MacBook Pro, thats what im currently using to write this. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I would make sure there is not some special thing you need to do to get it to work. Apple can be funny. I know with the new MacBooks that had upgradable M.2 SSD's you had to use some kinda of adapter because well Apple. Ive seen people suggest updating the OS before you install new storage because Apple wont upgrade the firmware if you use "Non" apple storage. Its weird. 

Intel or Apple Silicone? I have a 2020 Intel MacBook Pro, thats what im currently using to write this. 

I have the M1

I love this computer I haven't had any issues with it and its been perfect. only thing is I've had it for about 6 months and I dropped my charger on it and put a nice little faint scratch on it. but I got a dbrand skin to cover it

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Well, US Federal Law says Cable provider and ONLY cable providers have to allow customer owned equipment. DSL, Fiber or Cellular providers dont have to do shit. Also, Comcast only charges $25 a month for unlimited data if you choose to use their gateway and that price is with the gateway included. Another thing is some cable providers provide very little guidance on what modems will work on their network. Because not all modems will. Comcast provides a pretty decent list, however some providers wont help at all and its more of the luck of the draw type of deal. 

That's so weird from a UK perspective as cable over here was the only provider you can't use your own equipment until FTTP launched, but they DO support bridge mode so its not a big deal.

Most DSL (there's a few ISPs who don't want you to but there are often ways around it hacking the login credentials from their equipment) and Cellular support your own.  In fact when ADSL launched the only way to get a AIO router was to use your own, it was USB modem back then.  It was only when moving to VDSL that initially it was engineer installed telco equipment in bridge mode, then over time moved to user installed ISP equipment.  The fact the telco HAVE to allow third-party ISPs over their network really pushed a competitive marketplace, it boggles my mind the US did the opposite.

I've even seen someone doing it on FTTP which, for the moment at least, is exclusively ISP equipment only (though that equipment is often an ONT in bridge mode).

Cable is now moving to FTTP too over here, so remains to be seen how that will work.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

exclusively ISP equipment only (though that equipment is often an ONT in bridge mode).

Thats how Verizon does it over here. But AT&T generally only supplies a gateway (Doesn't support true bridge mode only pass thru mode), BUT in some instances they will do an ONT. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

able is now moving to FTTP too over here, so remains to be seen how that will work.

Sadly that not happening over here. Comcast is all in on Docsis 4.0. To be honest I know of only one cable co here that is moving to Fiber and Im not even sure if its in all areas or just in profitable ones. Over here Teleco's are moving to Fiber in profitable areas but leaving less profitable areas on aging DSL networks or forcing people to LTE/5G. 

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

and Cellular support your own. 

Honestly I wish T Mobile did this, because I have read their gateway lacks features, you cant even put it in to bridge mode let alone turn of its WiFi. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

fact the telco HAVE to allow third-party ISPs over their network really pushed a competitive marketplace,

Thats because your government is not as corrupt as ours and you have politicians who have a fucking spine. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Sadly that not happening over here. Comcast is all in on Docsis 4.0. To be honest I know of only one cable co here that is moving to Fiber and Im not even sure if its in all areas or just in profitable ones. Over here Teleco's are moving to Fiber in profitable areas but leaving less profitable areas on aging DSL networks or forcing people to LTE/5G. 

Honestly I wish T Mobile did this, because I have read their gateway lacks features, you cant even put it in to bridge mode let alone turn of its WiFi. 

Thats because your government is not as corrupt as ours and you have politicians who have a fucking spine. 

Its kinda crazy, as our cable co looked at DOCSIS 4.0 and went "nope, cheaper to run fibre than keep doing this song and dance across the whole network".  It makes sense, far less parts to replace to upgrade fibre as demand increases, better long-term profits than having to replace almost the entire network every time a new DOCSIS upgrade is required.  From what I heard, parts of their network has far too much noise ingress into the COAX that causes them tons of problems, fibre completely eliminates that problem and its far more energy efficient.

The router Three UK provide tends to not have bridge mode in their firmware (though surprisingly the one I have does), its all the more curious as they are the only network NOT using CG-NAT on their broadband offering, they only have it on their phone APN, though the latter tends to be more stable (except I found it switching public IPs which kicked me out of some services that only allow login from a single IP at a time).

Unfortunately our current government seem to look to Trump as a role model, though thankfully I don't think its profitable for them to backtrack at this point when it comes to telco.    They are making an utter mess of the NHS though, giving contracts to some of the worst US private healthcare companies. 😞  But that's getting rather off-topic now.

2 hours ago, corvettefan4life said:

I have the M1

I keep forgetting there is a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro as 13" is too small for me, even the 15" is smaller than I'd prefer for my eyesight - though I think any bigger would be rather cumbersome.  I hate MacOS, not so fond of Apple in general, but love the 15" Macbook M1 Pro.  Early Alpha of Linux on it is looking really promising.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its kinda crazy, as our cable co looked at DOCSIS 4.0 and went "nope, cheaper to run fibre than keep doing this song and dance across the whole network".  It makes sense, far less parts to replace to upgrade fibre as demand increases, better long-term profits than having to replace almost the entire network every time a new DOCSIS upgrade is required.

They dont have to replace the whole network, but there is some equipment that has to be replaced plus licensing costs. For example from what I have read for them to add additional upstream channels, they have to pay cable labs a fee, and I think it might be per area. 

Another thing to consider is the UK is smaller than the US. My ISP operates in 38 states for example and the UK seems to have better regulation/competition. Now all that being said, AT&T just bitch slapped Comcast and the other cable operators across the face. What I mean is AT&T is offering 5 Gbps Fiber for under $200 USD on parts of its network, they also offer 2 Gbps. Comcast offers 3 Gbps Fiber is you pay $1000 for install and $299 a month. So AT&T is clearly wining. I have also read that some cable operators are installing Fiber in new housing developments. My guess is they are going to do the AT&T approach to Fiber. That is, Rich people will get Fiber and us poor bastards will have to take what they give. For example where I live Comcast, AT&T and now Charter operate here. Comcast covers most of the city, AT&T covers in the 80% range and Charter has like 30% coverage as they have started expanding here in the last year or two. My neighborhood can only get Comcast, even if we could do AT&T they only offer 18 Mbps DSL at Max. Its not clear if Charter intends to cover the whole city. So essentially we have no competition. Now in the North East of the US, there is competition. Comcast for example has NOT implemented its 1.2 TB cap in the North East and while they said they were going to, I dont think they will. Too many AT&T and Verizon FIOS connected cities in that area. 

I have feeling that Cable companies will move to Fiber. I mean in some areas Comcast started doing Node+0 upgrades where the node only supports up to 20 homes. They ran a lot more Fiber to the neighborhoods as a result. With each Docsis version it seems that more and more Fiber has to be ran closer to the customer. Eventually they will see Fiber is the answer, the question is how many decades will it take?