Coax Internet/computer speed up

corvettefan4life
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
39 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

Is Coax internet slower than Fiber internet? If so how do I improve speeds? Also how could I check if I have fiber cables running into my house? 

Coax internet can be slower. Essentially download wise the fastest speed I have seen on Coax is 1.4Gbps, however the fastest speeds on the upload I have seen is around 45 to 50 Mbps. Fastest Fiber speeds I have seen offered at least to a residential customer at an some what affordable price in the US is AT&T's 5 Gbps service for just under $200 a month. Fiber speeds will be symmetrical across the Download and upload generally. 

8 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

I am in the United States

Who's your ISP? Im from the US as well and keep track of a lot of this. 

Is Coax internet slower than Fiber internet? If so how do I improve speeds? Also how could I check if I have fiber cables running into my house? 

They both can be limited to whatever the ISP decides.
Altho the max for fiber is WAAY higher.
Also the latency with light is way faster vs copper.

As for to check if they run into your house, tell us the country, as some country like mine (The Netherlands) has websites where you can easily check this.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

39 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

Coax internet can be slower. Essentially download wise the fastest speed I have seen on Coax is 1.4Gbps, however the fastest speeds on the upload I have seen is around 45 to 50 Mbps. Fastest Fiber speeds I have seen offered at least to a residential customer at an some what affordable price in the US is AT&T's 5 Gbps service for just under $200 a month. Fiber speeds will be symmetrical across the Download and upload generally. 

8 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

I am in the United States

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Charter, I've had nothing but issues with them. I'm trying to switch to T-Mobile 5G internet. 

1 minute ago, corvettefan4life said:

Charter, I've had nothing but issues with them. I'm trying to switch to T-Mobile 5G internet. 

Charter is a cable provider. Not sure what their fastest speeds are, but Comcast my ISP is probably offering the fastest on coax at the moment. Im going to guess Charter maxes out at 940 ish Mbps down and 45 ish Mbps up. T Mobile internet is hit or miss. If you have 5G UC available speeds can be on par with what the cable company offers. On the other side you could see if AT&T or Verizon offer Fiber to your home. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Charter is a cable provider. Not sure what their fastest speeds are, but Comcast my ISP is probably offering the fastest on coax at the moment. Im going to guess Charter maxes out at 940 ish Mbps down and 45 ish Mbps up. T Mobile internet is hit or miss. If you have 5G UC available speeds can be on par with what the cable company offers. On the other side you could see if AT&T or Verizon offer Fiber to your home. 

Unfortunately nothing but Charter Is so they basically charge whatever they feel like and I don't really have an option. My speeds now are 200 down and 10 up.. kinda sad. But I don't want to give any more money to Charter.

re 200 down and 10 up.. kinda sad. But I don't want to give any more money to Charter.

At least you dont have a 1.2 TB data cap like I have with Comcast. We pay $89 a month and $10 for every 50 Gigs if we go over the cap. OR you can pay $30/m extra to have unlimited data. Charter at least hasn't implemented that yet and might not, as they advertise no caps has sorta a stab at Comcast. 

Jeez is it 1.2TB per month or year? I tend to download at least 250GB of stuff a week between everything on the network. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

At least you dont have a 1.2 TB data cap like I have with Comcast. We pay $89 a month and $10 for every 50 Gigs if we go over the cap. OR you can pay $30/m extra to have unlimited data. Charter at least hasn't implemented that yet and might not, as they advertise no caps has sorta a stab at Comcast. 

Better than my friend on AT&T.  They claim unlimited then in the small print say there is a cap and will charge for going over it.  All the while no mention anywhere what that cap is.  Seems they can just arbitrarily decide you've gone over some fictional cap and charge you more that month.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, corvettefan4life said:

Jeez is it 1.2TB per month or year? I tend to download at least 250GB of stuff a week between everything on the network. 

Its a month. But even then 3 adults, we dont have cable TV and do heavy streaming. Between downloading games off my steam account and the game updates, we used just over 1 TB of data in March. Our usage has been increasing since my dad retired. 

I found out a few weeks ago a T Mobile 5G UC site is about .25 miles from our house. The only reason we haven't jumped ship is because my name is on the T Mobile account and my mom implied that Id be responsible for the internet. I pay $170 ish for our phone service, so I didnt want to add another $50 on top of that. 

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

claim unlimited then in the small print say there is a cap and will charge

AT&T was known to have caps on xDSL services. Some say they have canceled those caps but some say they haven't. The only service I know they have thats unlimited is Fiber. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Better than my friend on AT&T.  They claim unlimited then in the small print say there is a cap and will charge for going over it.  All the while no mention anywhere what that cap is.  Seems they can just arbitrarily decide you've gone over some fictional cap and charge you more that month.

I'm sick of companies doing that with their hidden fees and print. It's super annoying and unethical. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its a month. But even then 3 adults, we dont have cable TV and do heavy streaming. Between downloading games off my steam account and the game updates, we used just over 1 TB of data in March. Our usage has been increasing since my dad retired. 

I found out a few weeks ago a T Mobile 5G UC site is about .25 miles from our house. The only reason we haven't jumped ship is because my name is on the T Mobile account and my mom implied that Id be responsible for the internet. I pay $170 ish for our phone service, so I didnt want to add another $50 on top of that. 

I have to find out where my T Mobile tower is, might jump ship honestly it's a savings to. I think I can use my existing network to bridge the connection. 

5 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

I have to find out where my T Mobile tower is, might jump ship honestly it's a savings to. I think I can use my existing network to bridge the connection. 

You have to use the T Mobile gateway. Their gateway does NOT support bridge mode. Also T Mobile internet is under carrier grade NAT, so no port forwarding. 

Oh you can't bridge... Hm. I have a large home I don't know if that's able to support it.

28 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You have to use the T Mobile gateway. Their gateway does NOT support bridge mode. Also T Mobile internet is under carrier grade NAT, so no port forwarding. 

Do you use the ISP modem and router? Or do you use a different modem? 

9 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

Do you use the ISP modem and router? Or do you use a different modem? 

I purchased a Netgear CM1000 back in February. Before that I had the Motorola SB6141. My router is the Synology RT2600AC. My official stance on ISP supplied equipment is to stay the fuck away from it, as far as you can. 

I purchased a Netgear CM1000 back in February. Before that I had the Motorola SB6141. My router is the Synology RT2600AC. My official stance on ISP supplied equipment is to stay the fuck away from it, as far as you can. 

Lol. I just use the modem my network I purchased by myself. It's pretty funny that people use the ISP supplied equipment then stuff it in a closet and wonder why it doesnt work well. 

2 minutes ago, corvettefan4life said:

Lol. I just use the modem my network I purchased by myself. It's pretty funny that people use the ISP supplied equipment then stuff it in a closet and wonder why it doesnt work well. 

Well, US Federal Law says Cable provider and ONLY cable providers have to allow customer owned equipment. DSL, Fiber or Cellular providers dont have to do shit. Also, Comcast only charges $25 a month for unlimited data if you choose to use their gateway and that price is with the gateway included. Another thing is some cable providers provide very little guidance on what modems will work on their network. Because not all modems will. Comcast provides a pretty decent list, however some providers wont help at all and its more of the luck of the draw type of deal. 

Well, US Federal Law says Cable provider and ONLY cable providers have to allow customer owned equipment. DSL, Fiber or Cellular providers dont have to do shit. Also, Comcast only charges $25 a month for unlimited data if you choose to use their gateway and that price is with the gateway included. Another thing is some cable providers provide very little guidance on what modems will work on their network. Because not all modems will. Comcast provides a pretty decent list, however some providers wont help at all and its more of the luck of the draw type of deal. 

Charter provides a list varying on speed but not much. Spectrum is honestly not the best. I am going to most likely try T Mobile out for the 15 days. I hope it goes good. Just not sure how I can spread the signal throughout my home without losing bandwidth. 

Just now, corvettefan4life said:

Charter provides a list varying on speed but not much. Spectrum is honestly not the best. I am going to most likely try T Mobile out for the 15 days. I hope it goes good. Just not sure how I can spread the signal throughout my home without losing bandwidth. 

While the T Mobile box doesnt do bridge mode or allow you to turn off WiFI from what I have read. You can use a secondary router in AP mode. What you might want to do is if you can run Ethernet a bit away from the T Mobile box and use a router in AP mode to provide signal further away. Just keep in mind the T Mobile gateway only has 2 Ethernet ports, so you might need to invest in a network switch if you need more ports. 

While the T Mobile box doesnt do bridge mode or allow you to turn off WiFI from what I have read. You can use a secondary router in AP mode. What you might want to do is if you can run Ethernet a bit away from the T Mobile box and use a router in AP mode to provide signal further away. Just keep in mind the T Mobile gateway only has 2 Ethernet ports, so you might need to invest in a network switch if you need more ports. 

I currently have a Eero mesh system, do you think that would be a good solution?

I currently have a Eero mesh system, do you think that would be a good solution?

Well Mesh solutions might work in AP mode. So I really cant say. Im fortunate enough that I only need one router and have full coverage. Small homes for the win. 

I'll have to see, they claim the the router is good but I'm sure it can't cover 3000sqft+. They claim it "supports mesh" but they do not elaborate on that so not sure what that really means.