Am i tempting fate?

Hrimnir

Hey all, so i am one of those psychopaths that is still gaming on an old 6700k because the s*** hit the proverbial fan with the PC parts market 1.5 years ago and i've just decided to wait until it all calms down to build a new rig.

That being said, i am currently using a now 8 to 9 year old first generation Corsair AX650 PSU that i had transferred from my 2700k build b/c at the time it was only a couple years old.

Now, obviously at the time it was the top of the line as i understand it, it was essentially a commercial grade PSU (component wise) made for ATX. I know it had a 7 year warranty which gives some peace of mind that it's designed to last a long time.  However, i am wondering if now that i am approaching 9 years of use, if it would behoove me to buy a new PSU even if I'm not doing a new build right away to avoid any potential...mishaps shall we say until whatever future point i can get all the parts i want at non inflated prices.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!

Edit: i should clarify my intention is not to bring this PSU to a new build.  My concern is it could be 1+ years before i can do a new build at which point the PSU will be approaching 10 years old, and i don't want it to take out my current rig when/if it goes before i get the chance to build a new rig

In my opinion its better to buy a new PSU. especially because of its age.

You can still use the PSU for a Work/Hobby-PC that you don't use daily, but for a new build its better to get a new PSU as well

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 minute ago, darknessblade said:

In my opinion its better to buy a new PSU. especially because of its age.

You can still use the PSU for a Work/Hobby-PC that you don't use daily, but for a new build its better to get a new PSU as well

Sorry, i should clarify i wasn't intending to bring this to a new build, moreso, it could be 1+ years before i can do a new build at which point the PSU will be approaching 10 years old, i'm worried about it just blowing up and taking a bunch of other components with it, essentially!

Just now, Hrimnir said:

Sorry, i should clarify i wasn't intending to bring this to a new build, moreso, it could be 1+ years before i can do a new build at which point the PSU will be approaching 10 years old, i'm worried about it just blowing up and taking a bunch of other components with it, essentially!

AAH, in that case it would not be much problem to use said PSU, just make sure you aren't overclocking the CPU or GPU, 

as long as you do not head the peak of the PSU it should be generally safe.

---------

getting a new PSU now would not really be usefull, as futureplanning might not be the best.

Like now you need 650WATT.

But your new PC uses 750WATT.

Then you still need a new PSU.

-----------

If you are getting a new PSU now, I would suggest to make a mock-build with parts you like to get, then get a PSU that supports said build.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

14 minutes ago, Hrimnir said:

8 to 9 year old first generation

That's getting  old.

But if its still quiet  enough and nothing is broken; I say If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You are probably looking at an upgrade in the next year or two anyways as you mentioned. And even though its 9 years old its still a quality PSU. If it dies it's more likely to die silently and just not power on rather than take your whole pc out with it in a burst of goodbye. 

If you are really worried and want to replace it, do this. Plan out what your next build will be, if it needs a 750W, get an 850W psu. If it needs an 850W, get a 1000W psu. Leave yourself room to grow and upgrade, especially with modern components drawing more power... ahem Nvidia ahem Intel, better to be safe than sorry and be able to carry the new PSU to your next build.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

If it's working why do you think you need to replace it?

Please stop listening to all the sensationalism on this forum. Nothing is going to "explode" just because it's a few years old.

How old is your microwave? Your fridge? Your furnace? Your car? Ever think about replacing them?

Honestly I'd look to replacing it, as running a PSU outside of the warranty period is a sign you've been running it a little too long. AX650 is a fairly good PSU for being released in 2010, but even so, it's still a 2010 PSU lol.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, dilpickle said:

If it's working why do you think you need to replace it?

Please stop listening to all the sensationalism on this forum. Nothing is going to "explode" just because it's a few years old.

How old is your microwave? Your fridge? Your furnace? Your car? Ever think about replacing them?

I've actually had a power supply explode before. Granted it was a low end PSU and like 9 years ago, but i was sitting there playing a game, when all of a sudden literal lightning tendrils (looked like Emperor Palpatine was in my PC) shot out of the back of my PC, then a loud ass bang, then smoke started pouring out of the back of it and set off the smoke alarm. Unfortunately it took my motherboard and my ram with it when it went.  That's actually why i bought the AX650 as a replacement even though at the time it was almost a 300 dollar power supply, because i had zero desire to have my blood pressure go that high again.

Also, this is the first time i've posted on the LTT forums so i can't really speak to any sensationalism ;-).

And to answer your last three questions, yes i do think about replacing them, particularly the car 😉