How do you deal with burnout?

KFCMcNuggets

Hey all,

Like a most people the last few years have been a wild time.  With that video games and by extension my PC have been my go-to sink for most of my free time and relaxation. Within the past few months I have noticed that I really enjoy the idea of getting on and playing games or just listening to music but once I'm sitting down ready to start it just goes away. When I wait just a minute for the launcher of a game or for match to load up I just don't really feel like playing or finishing the matches. I'm all too happy to think about the act of playing games and being on my computer but whenever I start it just feels like a chore. This is over multiple games and with anything on my computer to do with media.

Is there anything you guys do regularly that helps bring the enjoyment out for these things or do are there any suggestions as to other things to try/do. Video games have really been the only thing I've done for the past 5-6 years and now they feel like a chore. 

Simple - Step away from it for awhile and find something else to do in it's place.

I've already been through that myself and even now I have it related to benchmarking. Although I can and do Ln2 benching it too is like a chore at times, I've found doing the above works to restore interest.

Problem is, like I did you've just overloaded yourself on doing the same thing, "Burnout" is the mind's way of letting you know "OK - Need something new to do here" and it's best handled that way.

I don't know what else could interest you but sometimes instead of you choosing it, let it come to you and you'll know when it does.

Good luck.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I mod games or play building games.

I started playing computer games in the 80s and back then I wrote them. That evolved into just doing the graphics.  I learned how to do 3D and that ended up being what I did for a living.

In 1998 I started painting planes in MS Flight Simulator and in 2000 it was MS Train Simulator as well. I even did payware with an indie group. I found it very relaxing.

By 2005 I was a full time 3D artist so I stopped doing my own mods and start enjoying other peoples work so I started modding Bethesda's Oblivion, then later Skyrim.

Now I am playing Space Engineers. it is building space ships with modded guns, shields and enemies. 

I still buy AAA games but I am a bit board with them right now so it is the building games until that changes.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 6:09 PM, KFCMcNuggets said:

Like a most people the last few years have been a wild time.  With that video games and by extension my PC have been my go-to sink for most of my free time and relaxation.

Is anyone dropping bombs on you, shooting at you, you having to live underground for 3 months?

No?

You don't know how lucky you are.

Suggestion, get on your bicycle and ride, do a few day long, 100 km rides. Either that or get on the sea, take up yachting or sea kayaking, learn about the REAL world around you.

With the amount of work I'm getting recently, I did feel burned out. To be exact, I was extremely tired. My job is mentally focused so I needed 2 days off from work. That's still not enough because optimally I would like a month to be honest 😄 In terms of recovery, it used to be for the longest time playing video games after work but nowadays, I'm just listening to music or browsing the internet. I might find it entertaining from time to time launching a game but it's not what it used to be.