The $1,000,000 Unboxing. (SPONSORED)

JonoT

Thanks to Kioxia for sponsoring this video! Check out their CD6 NVME SSD at https://lmg.gg/rkDFz

$1,000,000 is how much this entire setup costs, not including all the man-hours since it took over a YEAR to make this happen! Kioxia, AMD, NVIDIA, Supermicro, and Wekka combined their efforts, and they have blown our minds.

Now I'm really concerned about letting Linus near things.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Linus should let Jake take the thing home just so we can all see the letter he would get from his electricity supplier.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Linus should let Jake take the thing home just so we can all see the letter he would get from his electricity supplier.

The thing might not even run. 
might trip the breaker for the house

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I expect the Onlyfabs(happy aggiden) to see more activity considering that:

- it costs million dollars

- Linus is handling it.

/s

Think i saw this on twitter some hours ago, cool to see its.. oh dear thats alot.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Really enjoyed this one, love watching you guys nerd out over insane tech like this! 

Really should have pushed for a 25.6Tb switch just for the epicness factor here although that would mean having to do breakout ports from 400Gb to 2x200Gb it's not complex just different cables. They've (25.6Tb switches) been out in the wild for a while too so it's not something bleeding edge and I definitely understand not getting early sample 51.2Tb gear, that would be insane but oh well. Only 12.8Tb will just HAVE to do 😛

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

These are my favorite type of LTT video's. 

I agree! Linus talked about on the WAN show of there being a potential separate channel for server stuff. However, he did say that there would not be enough content. Sad

linus wife..... your mine for the next 3 years dear....

linus am total ok with that . with this server!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

14 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

I agree! Linus talked about on the WAN show of there being a potential separate channel for server stuff. However, he did say that there would not be enough content. Sad

Level1Techs and ServeTheHome already have that niche covered, and Craft Computing makes a lot of solid homelab videos.

Crossover special, maybe?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Level1Techs and ServeTheHome already have that niche covered, and Craft Computing makes a lot of solid homelab videos.

You make a good point and a crossover would be cool. Every time LTT released a server related video, I always really enjoyed them.

The heatsinks next to the A100 GPUs is the NV-link switches, these also allows one to add in a second shelf with 8 more GPUs if desired. If 8 of these weren't enough that is...

Though, I do wonder how the final setup compares to a mainframe. Like an IBM z15 or something. Since a lot of mainframes are fairly centered on IO throughput.

15 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

The heatsinks next to the A100 GPUs is the NV-link switches, these also allows one to add in a second shelf with 8 more GPUs if desired. If 8 of these weren't enough that is...

Though, I do wonder how the final setup compares to a mainframe. Like an IBM z15 or something. Since a lot of mainframes are fairly centered on IO throughput.

image.png.11f08af594a53c1efd21f8741e7e1a6e.png

I can't wait to watch the rest.

I have messed around with old cisco gear at my school and I even think that stuff is cool but current stuff is gonna be intreasting.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

22 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

You can actually rent IBM Mainframe time, on IBM Cloud.

Pretty recent offering only a month old.

(Its properly gonna bankrupt you if doing so)

But becomes possible to comparison benchmark...

24 minutes ago, Required said:

WE TE EF!!!
No Mask!
No Distance!
No Hand Sanitiser!
No Gloves!
No wonder that Covid spread AT LOT! 🤬

Other videos have shown that LMG has the host/writer on screen usually not wear a mask, but the camera people and most not on camera in the office are all wearing masks. Gloves aren't super important, hand sanitizer would obviously be kept out of frame, and also given Jake's involvement in the new house project he might be part of the same bubble as Linus.

Please consider replacing those satadom modules for an m.2 nvme drive with higher DWPD spec.

6 minutes ago, daice said:

You can actually rent IBM Mainframe time, on IBM Cloud.

Pretty recent offering only a month old.

(Its properly gonna bankrupt you if doing so)

But becomes possible to comparison benchmark...

Then this is something that the LTT team should really look into. @jakkuh_t

Unless the minimum renting time is still "stupidly expensive", but if it is only a few hundred bucks or perhaps a grans or two, it might be a worth while comparison to make. Since mainframes are more or less aiming at the high performance storage market with a decent amount of compute sprinkled on top.

3 minutes ago, Ho-Li-Fuc said:

Please consider replacing those satadom modules for an m.2 nvme drive with higher DWPD spec. From what I can see the system should still support an m.2 aoc card (AOC-SLG3-2M2) in the empty PCIe slot.

I have had experience with these Satadom failing really fast when due to excessive writing. Those things are really only for just one time write and never to be touched ever again

I was just about to ask about this. I have been wanting to deploy a TrueNAS server and I did not want to waste a drive bay just for the boot drive. I was considering a M.2 to USB adapter and plugging into the open USB port inside my HP DL380 G8.

image.thumb.png.df446d27300069271e2ac7697a800105.png

Most peoples jaws drop, but this kind of hardware is actually used in Financial sector ALOT.

b-cube.ai - Cutting-edge AI Crypto Trading Bots

AI driven Forex Trading Robot – first of its kind (bigdata-madesimple.com)

Sounds absurd but when companys are moving funds of several hundre of million, this kind of hardware is just cost of business and drop in the bucket.

You hear alot of data modelling for AI, costumer market is much larger then just generic AI.

11 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Then this is something that the LTT team should really look into. @jakkuh_t

Unless the minimum renting time is still "stupidly expensive", but if it is only a few hundred bucks or perhaps a grans or two, it might be a worth while comparison to make. Since mainframes are more or less aiming at the high performance storage market with a decent amount of compute sprinkled on top.

I think renting just the Nvidia V100 was like 80-100 bucks USD an hour, minimum renting hour is an hour.

So would except even a "cell" of a IBM mainframe to be ...very... pricey.

Also NO, depends what mainframes we are talking about some are about pure compute power.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Don't forget Lawrence Systems!

The biggest difference is LTT is typically heavier on the entertainment side, and less dense on the educational side.

I would love to see a better union of the two, and a channel that could do that would be an instant subscribe. But the audience would be a lot more limited, especially if you get into exotics.

Look at ServeTheHome—the videos where Patrick demos a $100,000 server or goes deep into tech like cooling or power supplies gets like 10x fewer views than the videos where he talks about little 1L PCs, or controversy with a manufacturer.