Download Win11 or use usb I just bought?

Kelsey

I see most youtube vides on PC builds, downloading the latest windows OS and then just using a ~$20 legal activation code.

I understand that the website offers the latest updates so it would not need as many updates.

But why doesn't MS just sell activation codes instead of the whole OS software?

I'm a bit confused on this topic. Is there a difference between the

• Store bought official ~$120ish usb and code or
  • Free MS win11 download and one of the many $20ish activation codes

The activation codes you buy for around ~20 are usually OEM keys. These get tied to the motherboard and are only usable once. A retail key is not locked to the motherboard and can be moved around 5 times (if I remember correctly) not sure though, if a Windows account cares, which type of key you used. I think Linus did a video on keys for windows 10 and I don't think anything has changed since.

8 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

The activation codes you buy for around ~20 are usually OEM keys. These get tied to the motherboard and are only usable once. A retail key is not locked to the motherboard and can be moved around 5 times (if I remember correctly) not sure though, if a Windows account cares, which type of key you used. I think Linus did a video on keys for windows 10 and I don't think anything has changed since.

I knew I was missing something here. Thank you!!! 😍

It just seemed to good to be true.🤔

Does it still make sense to make a boot drive with the latest on MS site and use the retail key that I bought with the OS? Or just use the OS sw that is on the usb and do the updates even if it takes a little longer?

19 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

I knew I was missing something here. Thank you!!! 😍

It just seemed to good to be true.🤔

Does it still make sense to make a boot drive with the latest on MS site and use the retail key that I bought with the OS? Or just use the OS sw that is on the usb and do the updates even if it takes a little longer?

As long as the key is legitimate, there's no reason why it wouldn't activate. So if you have the time and a spare drive, you can download the latest installer from Microsoft to have a more updated one which would mean fewer updates to apply afterwards. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580