Asus VG27BQ thoughts for purely gaming ?

BunnyKraken

Hi

I currently have an older BenQ 2420T 1080p 24'' monitor and would like to try a 27'' 1080p as my second monitor. I play FPS shooters about 80% of my gaming time, and fast panel is a must have but over the years there has been so many new updates to monitors so i'm quite lost what to look at. I mostly play older FPS games that I can manage 1440p with my GPU, and of course can switch back to my benq 1080p for newer games.

First I thought I could try 1080p 240hz monitor, but I don't know if there are much difference between 120-144-240hz even for fast twitch shooters. Secondly I think it would be safer to go with TN panel over IPS just so that the response time is the smallest, and I don't need wider viewing angels.

So I found Asus VG27BQ at 320€ (351$) what do you think about this monitor and what alternatives are there at this price range. My questions are;

1. Is this a 144hz monitor and 165hz if ELMB SYNC is on. I cant use any backlight strobing since I get headache/nausea because of that. So can this be turned completely off and the monitor is 144hz ?

2. Can adaptive sync and HDR 10 be turned on and off independantly and regardless of ELMB.

3. Is the ASUS shadow boost equivalent to the benq black equalizer. I use it 100% time with my benq and its a must have for me.

4. Are there still issues with the pixel clone in upper left corner with this model ?

So would this be a good 27'' 1440p esports monitor for fps games, or are there better alternatives. Or should I look into 240hz monitors ?

9 hours ago, BunnyKraken said:
  1. Is this a 144hz monitor and 165hz if ELMB SYNC is on. I cant use any backlight strobing since I get headache/nausea because of that. So can this be turned completely off and the monitor is 144hz ?

2. Can adaptive sync and HDR 10 be turned on and off independantly and regardless of ELMB.

3. Is the ASUS shadow boost equivalent to the benq black equalizer. I use it 100% time with my benq and its a must have for me.

4. Are there still issues with the pixel clone in upper left corner with this model ?

1. ELMB and VRR can be used seperately or together.

2. Yes, all of these are seperate. But using ELMB makes the already bad HDR experience even worse.

3. Yes it's the same, but depending on the monitor and brand the effectiveness varies a lot though. BenQ typically has the most effective black equalizer.

4. Never heard of that issue.

Unless you're a sweaty try-hard in the latest twitch shooders you won't need 240Hz and up. A 144-class display will be enough. In your price range you can get an LG 27GP850-B, which is better in a lot of ways than the Asus VG27BQ. HERE you can see all the differences.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

1. ELMB and VRR can be used seperately or together.

2. Yes, all of these are seperate. But using ELMB makes the already bad HDR experience even worse.

3. Yes it's the same, but depending on the monitor and brand the effectiveness varies a lot though. BenQ typically has the most effective black equalizer.

4. Never heard of that issue.

Unless you're a sweaty try-hard in the latest twitch shooders you won't need 240Hz and up. A 144-class display will be enough. In your price range you can get an LG 27GP850-B, which is better in a lot of ways than the Asus VG27BQ. HERE you can see all the differences.

Thanks for your reply the LG 27GP850-B looks nice and fits still in my budget.

I'm a little worried about the ips panel and the response time, it says 1ms but isn't IPS panels still more at 4ms range typically ?

Just now, BunnyKraken said:

Thanks for your reply the LG 27GP850-B looks nice and fits still in my budget.

I'm a little worried about the ips panel and the response time, it says 1ms but isn't IPS panels still more at 4ms range typically ?

Pretty much all monitors call out 1ms response times, yet the best TN's fall in about 3ms, the best VA around 3ms and the best IPS around 4ms. Other than OLED displays there are no real 1ms montiors. And a 4ms IPS still delivers very good motion clarity and responsiveness.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.