Compressed Air vs Gas to clean VR Lens?

Naviwinn

Hello,

I bought a pair of containers of compressed gas. I mistook it for compressed air, and I'm wondering if there is any difference between the two for cleaning my VR lens. I have the HP Reverb G2.

Thanks!

Also, why is there no VR section?

There's no VR or handheld section because questions about them are so rare.

No idea what the gas is but it's probably safe if you can accidentally buy it so easily. All you need it for after all is just the pressure

None of those duster cans contain air. (The can would have to be much stronger and heavier in order to contain any useful amount of it.)

They're all full of refrigerants, gasses that phase change to liquid at an obtainable pressure. Then the can only has to hold a comparatively low amount of pressure, and the can lasts a long time because of how much more dense the material is in its liquid phase than it is as a gas.

Some older "canned air" even had good old R134a, the same stuff that's in your car and your window ACs. (I'm sure the modern ones contain a substance with much less global warming potential.)

It's fine. Just use it outside if you're going to do a lot of dusting.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

neither.. go to your local optician and get the spray and a soft microfiber cloth to clean glasses with.. 

when I search up how to clean vr lense every forum and video say to use microfiber cloths and compressed air.

2 minutes ago, Naviwinn said:

when I search up how to clean vr lense every forum and video say to use microfiber cloths and compressed air.

point is.. you are looking through them.. why are they different from glasses?.. 

and compressed air are gass..  if you spray too close you see it's extremly cold too. 

2 minutes ago, Naviwinn said:

yeah never got that. They are just glasses. Use some lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Been doing that for years and always kept things nice, clear and in tip top shape. Never used compressed air before. Seems pointless to me.

Just now, Robchil said:

point is.. you are looking through them.. why are they different from glasses?.. 

Idk, go ask every how to clean vr lens youtube tutorial creator and website maker why 

1 minute ago, Naviwinn said:

Idk, go ask every how to clean vr lens youtube tutorial creator and website maker why 

i would rather check if they are marketing some spesific brand of compressed "air" .. 

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

yeah never got that. They are just glasses. Use some lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Been doing that for years and always kept things nice, clear and in tip top shape. Never used compressed air before. Seems pointless to me.

Well, if you search it up, 9/10 results will say compressed air. Anyway I believe the reason is so that it sends away dust so the microfiber cloth doesn't grab it and while move it scratch the lens.

Just now, Naviwinn said:

Well, if you search it up, 9/10 results will say compressed air. Anyway I believe the reason is so that it sends away dust so the microfiber cloth doesn't grab it and while move it scratch the lens.

Dust doesn't scratch a lens. Then people with glasses would just have messed up glasses every single week.

The whole point of the cloth is to catch dust and particles. The lens cleaner is to help with that and get rid of oils from the skin.

The compressed air does nothing extra here except cost you more money.

Depending on how the lens assembly is built you can also run the risk of compressed air blowing dust inside somewhere.

I just use a lens pen to brush away dust and then some lens cleaning wipes for anything like oils that needs to be cleaned off.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Get a giottos rocket air blower and a suitable cleaning cloth or wipe. 

I mention giottos rocket specifically because like other quality blowers, it has a seperate air intake from the blower and won't suck up dirt. 

On 3/25/2022 at 1:28 AM, Heliian said:

Get a giottos rocket air blower and a suitable cleaning cloth or wipe. 

I mention giottos rocket specifically because like other quality blowers, it has a seperate air intake from the blower and won't suck up dirt. 

and price compared to cleaning liquid for glasses? 🙂

On 3/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, jaslion said:

Dust doesn't scratch a lens. Then people with glasses would just have messed up glasses every single week.

The whole point of the cloth is to catch dust and particles. The lens cleaner is to help with that and get rid of oils from the skin.

The compressed air does nothing extra here except cost you more money.

Eh. Are we talking plastic or glass lenses? I've scratched plastic lenses before from dust on the surface of them.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

-> Moved to Displays

There's no generic "gas", it's not compound nor element. It's state of existence (liquid, solid, gas). Your compressed air is gas when it comes out of the can, liquid while pressurised in it. So biggest question here is, what is your other "gas" actually, and are your lenses plastic-based or glass. At worst, using wrong type of compound will permanently harm them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Eh. Are we talking plastic or glass lenses? I've scratched plastic lenses before from dust on the surface of them.

All gaming focused vr headsets have glass lenses. Precisely to prevent this.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

All gaming focused vr headsets have glass lenses. Precisely to prevent this.

Well that's smart. I'd also hope they're glass, considering the price they are.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I used to gently apply and then remove a piece of scotch tape to clean my oculus lenses. It seemed to remove oil and dust pretty well. Just be very careful to apply it straight on and pull straight off without allowing the tape to shift.

It seemed to work a lot better than using the cleaning wipes.