Why invest money for expensive cases ? Why not use desktop with an open case ?

james_bond

I never invested money on expensive branded cases like Cooler Master. I have always used my desktop with one side of the case open. No overheating and as a bonus I get to easily clean my desktop with a blower. So my question is why invest money for expensive cases ? Why not use desktop with an open case ? Is it only because an open case looks a bit ugly ?

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

1 minute ago, Ralfi said:

drinks & out in the open electronics aren’t a great mix. 

I understand. I have placed my case in one corner of my room. The open side is facing the wall so no chance of any accidental spill of drinks.

Well, to be fair not everyone's accustomed on the 'mediocre' quality of budged cases. Heck, I reuse and refurbished an old case (rusty, and got paint chips all over the place, and I have to mod the case to fit two 120mm fans instead of the noisy (yes, they're that noisy) 90mm) and works fine af. It is really a choice of needs tbh, if you need shitload of space for storage, bigger motherboard, or simply because the GPU's too big for budget cases (which afaik, they're mostly on ATX size and wouldn't fit the bigger size of GPU nowadays), and of course, looks, well, I'm definitely get one.

I wouldn't dare to use open case as I got cats that loves to play around (well, safety hazard on anyone either).The fact that my room, I don't know why, simply so darn dusty that my front dust filter always full with dust even for only 2 weeks of use and the inside will definitely got the worst if I left it open.

Also, I hate the hassle of cleaning PC too occasionally. At least minimum once in a year would be nice.

6 minutes ago, james_bond said:

The open side is facing the wall so no chance of any accidental spill of drinks.

Well, except of the water and dust resistant case that Linus reviewed years ago, there's always a chance of accidental spill that come in onto the case as simply they have holes still.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

u mean smtg like tis?

image.png.20c38e60f47f8fa1130ecd20edd316a3.png

i see nothing wrong

to each his own, u might have to be more diligent is blowing the dust of components

OR worst ... insects decide to stay in your pc 😬

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

1 hour ago, james_bond said:

I have always used my desktop with one side of the case open. No overheating and as a bonus I get to easily clean my desktop with a blower. So my question is why invest money for expensive cases ? Why not use desktop with an open case ? Is it only because an open case looks a bit ugly ?

An airflow optimized case will do same or very slightly better temps with the panel closed, as opposed to the panel removed. But it is expensive to do it (compared to just having like a $25 case with sides removed), and without modding there's not many cases that can achieve it.

@fonzz1e

The pics of the cases that you have attached are "horizontal". I am sure there is name for those case but I don't know. Mine is a "tower" case. I am attaching a random image from the Internet. Just visualize with the right side cover open

case.png.a8df618bb78c436ecaf354192ca1d484.png

@Dogzilla07

At the moment I am using a Intel Corei3 with onboard Intel graphics. 10 years back I a was using an AMD Athlon 64X2 5600+ with a dicrete Nvidia card. Both the AMD cpu and Nvidia card used to produce heat which was multiple times higher than my current configuration. I used to keep my desktop with the case closed with one fan in the back. The Nvidia Card died within 3 years followed by the motherboard the next year. Since then I can't even think of using my desktop with case closed.

3 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

An airflow optimized case will do same or very slightly better temps with the panel closed, as opposed to the panel removed. 

An airflow optimised case may well have better temperatures than an open test bench, let anyone some cheapo case with the side taken off. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

15 hours ago, james_bond said:

@Dogzilla07

At the moment I am using a Intel Corei3 with onboard Intel graphics. 10 years back I a was using an AMD Athlon 64X2 5600+ with a dicrete Nvidia card. Both the AMD cpu and Nvidia card used to produce heat which was multiple times higher than my current configuration. I used to keep my desktop with the case closed with one fan in the back. The Nvidia Card died within 3 years followed by the motherboard the next year. Since then I can't even think of using my desktop with case closed.

that was an erra were things didn't last much past 3-4 years. gpus, mb, ram, psu, anything 4 years was bout it. psu were really bad back then... then sli became a thing and well then the cases with massive fans. some how my dad got this metal 120mm fan way before 120mm were stranded and we hooked it to the front of the case with a toggle switch to cool his athlong 64...then came the nosie thermaltake volcano 7 cooler...

probably ocing didn't help things ether...

volcano9.jpg

when i build my p4 i got a big cooper heat sink that you can mount a 92mm fan to it and it was quiet!

DSCF1622.JPG

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Well, my opinion is this:

- Protect from the elements.

- Less noise

- Aesthetic appealing (at least for modern case with glass or acrylic panel)

- Less dust to your component (if your filter is working/install correctly)

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I have an open air bench, I use my case because temps are better while using it 😄

Cooler Master should not be confused for high end..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

@thrasher_565

that was an erra were things didn't last much past 3-4 years. gpus, mb, ram, psu, anything 4 years was bout it.

Yes, I agree 100%. I had wasted a lot of money on PC hardware back then. The motherboard than I am using at the moment is Asus H110M-CS. I assembled this desktop myself on 2017. I pray that this desktop specially the motherboard lasts at least 10 years from the date of purchase. From my experience if the motherboard dies after 5-6 years that particular CPU socket becomes obsolete and you have no choice but to invest in both a new motherboard and a new processor.

1 hour ago, james_bond said:

@thrasher_565

Yes, I agree 100%. I had wasted a lot of money on PC hardware back then. The motherboard than I am using at the moment is Asus H110M-CS. I assembled this desktop myself on 2017. I pray that this desktop specially the motherboard lasts at least 10 years from the date of purchase. From my experience if the motherboard dies after 5-6 years that particular CPU socket becomes obsolete and you have no choice but to invest in both a new motherboard and a new processor.

well it will be available used but would it be worth buying a mb to keep it working as used parts dont make sense.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links