Pre-installed apps on Windows Server AD

martino.

Hi!

I want to have pre-installed programs on the PC when a user logs into their account. How can I do that?

For example, I create a "test" user on the Active Directory and when "test" logs into their account on a PC which is part of this AD then they would have Google Chrome pre-installed.

Thanks.

You'd need to use SCCM to push software to this PC in the way you want.

Another option is integrating software into your Windows image, this can be done using DISM/Sysprep.

May I ask how much users you are trying to serve here? Sounds like this is a corporate environment or you're just playing around/testing (either is totally valid!) take a look at these docs.

Installing this on your AD server is possible, however in a professional setting I recommend spinning up another VM (assuming everything is virtualized)

Feel free to ask if it's not all clear, I'll make some time to explain it some more if needed!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Thanks for the reply.

I want to deploy this system as a one-time use for 7-8 students.

38 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Another option is integrating software into your Windows image, this can be done using DISM/Sysprep.

Can you tell me more about this?

SCCM looks way too complicated and I don't have much time.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, martino. said:

Thanks for the reply.

yeah it is.. what you can do is install a computer and set it up like you want it to be. then you can extract that system into windows deployment server to create an image. 

i took exam in sccm 2008.  back then it had 1700 possible tabs to config.. don't think it's any better now.. 😄

On 3/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, martino. said:

Thanks for the reply.

For your usecase SCCM is going to be total overkill, especially for the one-time you'll be using it.

I recommend reading this & creating a Windows 11/10 install USB that contains all the user profiles & software pre-defined.

Keep in mind if you got your .ISO through the Media Creation Tool you'll need to convert its install.ESD file to .WIM, this way you'll be able to you the full DISM toolset.

For ease-of-use I recommend doing this setup on a spare laptop/PC instead of a VM, it's going to be easier to copy files over that way.

When in the Windows setup process & you wish to copy over files, use notepad's built in file explorer if you don't know how to use Robocopy!

(CTRL+SHIFT+F10, in CMD type "notepad.exe" then "Open", it's a hacky workaround to get a explorer GUI during setup.)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*