ANTS IN LAPTOP!!!

I have a laptop and recently i noticed ant feces which get thrown out of the exhaust...and with the slight amount of tapping...more feces drop down and ants too drop down...I dont eat around my laptop...It get pretty warm though

This happened a week back when i tapped out all the ants (almost?) and used a hairdryer in cool mode to blow air through the vents...and it did help for quite a while(no ant issues for a week) and now again ants....Tried keeping it in various locations and those pesky ants somehow find my laptop and live in there

Any help?

At the moment i cannot take it to the shop and the laptop is still under warranty....So i do not want to open it either

Well if you feel comfortable open it up and get the ants out. Also if you have two baking trays, a smaller and larger one, you cn put your laptop for storage inside the small one, then put it inside the large one filled with water to make a 'moat' the ants can't cross, just to keep more out

5 minutes ago, lafrente said:

It's a bug

"it's not a bug, it's a feature"

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

If you don't have pets or children to worry about, get some Terro liquid ant bait, and load up a plastic throwaway tray (like you get for heat-n-serve microwave meals). Set it within reasonable proximity of the laptop. They will smell the liquid bait and come running. The idea is to form a pool of it deep enough that they drown in it and can't escape to take it back to their 'nest' in your laptop. May take a few passes. For the stragglers, keep a bottle of Windex or some other strong glass cleaner handy.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Put it in the freezer overnight. Let it warm up for a few hours before using.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

That would kill the battery, Way below its minimum temp spec...

then remove the battery : ) and then put it

23 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well if you feel comfortable open it up and get the ants out. Also if you have two baking trays, a smaller and larger one, you cn put your laptop for storage inside the small one, then put it inside the large one filled with water to make a 'moat' the ants can't cross, just to keep more out

Ill try doing the baking tray method....I have no issue opening up the laptop...but it would void the warranty....and today....they started laying eggs in there....eggs all over my keyboard...i kept my laptop in a completely different place...

Ill do a cinebench for a while to heat up the laptop to an extreme...the ants might get out...and then use the tray method from ow onwards...thank you 🙂

THE ANTS MANAGED TO EAT UP MY ESCAPE KEY....the escape key is no longer working 😞

23 hours ago, dwm said:

then remove the battery : ) and then put it

The battery cannot be removed without opening the laptop....so a big no...still thanks!

23 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Put it in the freezer overnight. Let it warm up for a few hours before using.

Did the same to my old dell...which apparently had an removable battery without opening the rear....

air tight plastic bag vacuum sealed will suffocate the ants.  I want to say the freezer would kill the laptop, but my laptop survived freezing living temperatures... though it stopped responding to input at above 0 Celsius...  and it dropped down to almost 0 F.

17 hours ago, Stephen7 said:

air tight plastic bag vacuum sealed will suffocate the ants.  I want to say the freezer would kill the laptop, but my laptop survived freezing living temperatures... though it stopped responding to input at above 0 Celsius...  and it dropped down to almost 0 F.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Cut off air supply, ants will die.  Not sure the best way to clean them out once they're dead or if the eggs will survive.  I'd leave the laptop in there for a few days if you don't NEED to use it and try some compressed air or something once they all die.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

I would be careful not to rotate the fans with the air.

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/25/2022 at 12:34 AM, Stephen7 said:

I would be careful not to rotate the fans with the air.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:27 AM, AdvocateOfNyx said:

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Cut off air supply, ants will die.  Not sure the best way to clean them out once they're dead or if the eggs will survive.  I'd leave the laptop in there for a few days if you don't NEED to use it and try some compressed air or something once they all die.

I used some amount of ant chalk around the laptop for a few days and now they are gone 🙂

2 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

I used some amount of ant chalk around the laptop for a few days and now they are gone 🙂

I would try to figure out where they are coming from, where do you regularly put your laptop? Don't want to deal with another infestation.

4 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I would try to figure out where they are coming from, where do you regularly put your laptop? Don't want to deal with another infestation.

I usually put it up on my studying table...I dont eat or drink anything on my studying table (with rare exceptions).....Now the ants have gone for good though....Even though I keep my laptop on my table...they dont seem to come...

Also its summer here...and i cant really figure out from where are the ants coming...I can  spot them in the cool places around my house....

Just now, Sed Linus said:

I usually put it up on my studying table...I dont eat or drink anything on my studying table (with rare exceptions).....Now the ants have gone for good though....Even though I keep my laptop on my table...they dont seem to come...

Also its summer here...and i cant really figure out from where are the ants coming...I can  spot them in the cool places around my house....

So, if they are an invasive species, I don't think it matters. I would get an exterminator to make sure that you are fine, and to treat your house if he deems it necessary.