Want the 5800X3D have too little cores? look no further - AMD EPYC 7000X "Milan - X" Launching today

williamcll

AMD-EPYC-7003-MILANX-4.jpg

Having been teased for a few weeks and more, the 3D cache version of AMD's server grade CPUs are now available for sale. The top model 7773X takes up 280 Watts of power and costs 8800$ USD. if you get the dual setup you get over a gigabyte of L3.

Quotes

AMD’s EPYC 7003 series will feature four SKUs, including 64, 32, 24 and 16-core parts. The 7773X which is the flagship model featuring 64-cores and a TDP of 280W will retail at 8,880 USD. The 32-core SKU called 7573X with the same TDP will cost 5,590 USD. Those chips are targeted for Finite Element Analysis and Structural Analysis, according to AMD. Two 240W parts featuring 24 and 16 cores are designed Electronic Design Automation and Computation Fluid Dynamics. The 7473X and 7373X will cost 3,900 USD and 4,185 USD respectively. Each chiplet is equipped with 96MB of L3 Cache (64+32MB), which gives a total of 768MB L3 for the whole 8-chiplet EPYC package. Even the parts that use 16-cores have all 8 dies enabled with their 3D V-Cache, thus the L3 cache is the same for all four SKUs.

AMD-EPYC-MlanX-Specs.jpg

Earlier, a bilibili user was able to get two engineering sample and he got the following results: That said, possibly due to it being a sample, it has performance issues compared to the 7T83 from the non-X series.

image.thumb.png.add22abcf96584c01b41755834c09d6d.png

The sample also supported overclocking, but possibly due to power issues, there was little improvements even pushing all cores above 3.5Ghz

My thoughts

It's not cheap, but at the same time there's not much to compare against with a specification like this. I hope there will be a threadripper version of this.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-epyc-7003-milan-x-launches-march-21st-specs-and-pricing-leaked

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wu41127LT

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Level1tech already has a video out on it:

And here are some linux benchmarks:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7773x-linux&num=1

And it's nice to see that's already available on Azure:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-milanx-hbv3&num=1

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

4 minutes ago, igormp said:

Azure:

Wonder if I can get to use it for a couple hours under my student credit. :think: Anyone know how much 3dvcache would affect F@H and/or mining?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

24 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Wonder if I can get to use it for a couple hours under my student credit.

Likely not, those free credits usually have a limited pool of available configs, so you'd need to ask for a quota for different configs (I had to do so to get V100 machines with some free credit I got from MS).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

My thoughts

Give a few sentences with your thoughts on the news. For example, this might be why you think the news is interesting, what you think the broader implications of this news are for the tech industry, or how you expect the story to develop in future. 

Mmmm interesting take indeed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Anyone know how much 3dvcache would affect F@H and/or mining?

Not done folding in a while. Is CPU folding still a thing at all? I have no idea how it scales though, or the data set sizes involved. That could give a clue how it behaves. What sort of ram is used? If that number is smaller than the cache, it might help.

Likewise with mining... what mining? Ethereum likely would still suck as the required data set is way beyond the cache available. I don't know about CPU-centric coins.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Meanwhile my 6600k with 6mb of l3 cache.

I don't think I ever heard anyone ever talk about cpu cache in any serious manner before this year. I guess its going to start to be important now?

2 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Wonder if I can get to use it for a couple hours under my student credit. :think: Anyone know how much 3dvcache would affect F@H and/or mining?

embed.php?i=2203209-NE-3DVCACHE912&sha=2

Looks like about 5.2% performance boost for GROMACS the program used for CPU F@H. Now sure how this compares to the current version used by F@H and how the benchmark workload compares to F@H.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

I don't think I ever heard anyone ever talk about cpu cache in any serious manner before this year. I guess its going to start to be important now?

As often the case it depends a lot on the software. Does the software depend on a large data set that it accesses heavily? If so, it may help.

I have a consumer desktop CPU that has more cache than the 5800X3D. it is an i7-5775C with 128 MB of L4 cache, nearly 7 years old. For some compute tasks I was doing on it at the time, it effectively made the ram performance irrelevant. To match it with Skylake I had to run dual channel dual rank 3200 ram.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

It’s always been important

the increase in the amount means mor and more data can be stored in the cpu. Since the cpus are getting more powerful, they can process more info at once so more being stored in cache is great. Less has to be in normal ram

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

It was talked about....

Pentium 1
Pentium Pro

Celeron vs Celeron A (first variant had 0 l2cache, next variant had "fast" on-die cache and was often faster than the more expensive Pentium III)

Pentium III with on die L2 cache vs PIII with off-die cache

Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
Core i7 (Nehalem)
Core i7 (Broadwell)
Zen 2

IBM Telum

The issue here is that it's the first time we've been able to do die-stacking like this. This enables L3 cache in amounts that not THAT long ago were what you'd expect for system RAM.

In some sense this breaks the Von Neumann Bottleneck.

Caching is one of those things where for CERTAIN problems it matters a lot.
Consumer applications aren't usually THAT sensitive to cache though. Think 2x the cache -> 3-10% overall performance uplift.
Part of what happens is that on launch there's not much of a benefit around there being more cache as applications are designed around the assumption of there not being much cache in general. Later generations of software benefit more.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

2 hours ago, cmndr said:

It was talked about....

I said in a serious manner. Some of what you posted are before I got into tech so idk, maybe it was serious 15 years ago, but like for zen 2, people talked about it, but in a "hey look, ryzen CPUs have a lot more cache than intel CPUs... thats neat I guess." It has just been more of a footnote. This year is the first time I've seen cache being advertised as *the* feature of a CPU, more than just a neat little bonus.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

I said in a serious manner. Some of what you posted are before I got into tech so idk, maybe it was serious 15 years ago, but like for zen 2, people talked about it, but in a "hey look, ryzen CPUs have a lot more cache than intel CPUs... thats neat I guess." It has just been more of a footnote. This year is the first time I've seen cache being advertised as *the* feature of a CPU, more than just a neat little bonus.

I mean some of it is that beyond the cache there's absolutely 0 selling point to this specific product.

With that said this is also a nice innovation in terms of manufacturing.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

5800X3D aimed in gaming front and enough cores for that segment. Really interested to see that cache tested in games.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |