You're Too OLD to Game!

AdamFromLTT

Is your GPU getting long in the tooth? Or maybe your new graphics card crapped out, so you are stuck gaming on your old workhorse. Just how screwed are you if you want to play new games on an old Nvidia or AMD card?

I've gotten my hands on a cheap (€ ~180) Sapphire Fury R9, equivalent card from team green are twice or even 3 times as much on the 2nd hand market.

Running a 4650G Pro and 3600-CL14 7.78ns sticks, I get a stable 40+ FPS on 1080p with high settings, FSR on UQ. There are some dips here and there but in the long run? A very good card for cheap. Though I have trouble forgetting I got a 1660 Super for 90 euro's almost 2 years ago... 😶

Cheap tip: throw those shadows on medium, gain more FPS.

My GTX 980 SC still does quite well in CAD and video editing from its CUDA cores, don't do much gaming but it'll run all 3 Tomb Raider games maxed out (but shadows on medium for Shadow of the Tomb Raider because you get half the FPS with those maxed). VRAM hangs around 99-100% though lol

A GTX 670/760 is still surprisingly capable as well.

We all know, you should install Linux on your old PC. So... Linux comparison? xD

Seriously tho, AMD GPU driver still support old card and even nvidia may have some benefit, not only there is DirectX to Vulkan, but alto DirectX to Opengl (DXGL), and with steam on linux all happen automagically... hopefully

Halo was the first thing that got me considering an upgrade to my 7950. 

But then I remembered I didn't like multiplayer Halo, and MCC runs great. 

Played a bunch of Apex with it last year though! 

40 minutes ago, SkyStreaker said:

I've gotten my hands on a cheap (€ ~180) Sapphire Fury R9, equivalent card from team green are twice or even 3 times as much on the 2nd hand market.

Running a 4650G Pro and 3600-CL14 7.78ns sticks, I get a stable 40+ FPS on 1080p with high settings, FSR on UQ. There are some dips here and there but in the long run? A very good card for cheap. Though I have trouble forgetting I got a 1660 Super for 90 euro's almost 2 years ago... 😶

I'm still using my Asus Strix R9 Fury. I'd like to upgrade, but well, you know the situation.

But yea, the Fury is still decent for 1080 gaming.

My AMD 290X plays GTA V and Red Dead 2 just fine.

still running dual r9 290's in crossfire, and all i can say is yes it works but i do really notice that it is ageing and i would have replaced it with my new cpu and mb upgrade if gpu prices weren't so damm high

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

I love these kinds of videos, just wish they were longer with more testing and opinions.

Next time it should go into fun games which would play on older hardware. I ran an x58 system for a decade and it kept up with borderlands 2 which is still more fun than most modern fps games.

Who cares about halo infinite when you can play halo 2?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Bit silly using a HD6990 considering it has always had worse performance than the HD6970 in games that don't use Xfire, it's obvious this was just used for the memes and not a serious comparison. But FYI you can still game fine on a HD6950 2GB if you're willing to dial down the settings to what you would expect with a 12 year old graphics card, I have one in a spare rig.

45 minutes ago, Ubersonic said:

Bit silly using a HD6990 considering it has always had worse performance than the HD6970 in games that don't use Xfire, it's obvious this was just used for the memes and not a serious comparison. But FYI you can still game fine on a HD6950 2GB if you're willing to dial down the settings to what you would expect with a 12 year old graphics card, I have one in a spare rig.

I have a HD 6970 and the video doesn't show what you can do with 6900 Terascale cards.

Some games i tested that are playable (Official AMD driver):

Tales of Arise (1080p)
Deus EX Mankind Divided (1080p)
Kingdom Come deliverance (1050p)

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes (60+ FPS) (1080p)
Metro Last Light (60+ FPS) (1080p)
Onee Chanbara ORIGIN (4K)
Ryse: Son of Rome (1080p)
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (1080p)

Batman Arkham Knight (1080p,940 MHz OC)

Games i tested that are unplayable (Doesn't include DX12 and Vulkan games):

Star Wars Jedi Fallen order (Poor performance no matter the settings)

Devil May Cry 5 (Need to drop the resolution too much for playable performance)

Final Fantasy VII Remake (When the VRAM is full the audio starts to lag really hard)

Here are some screenshots with the MSI Afterburner OSD:

Spoiler

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

witcher3_2021_12_18_18_57_04_983.png

Ryse Son of Rome:

Ryse_2021_12_18_18_39_43_214.png

Kingdom Come Deliverance:

KingdomCome_2021_12_18_19_18_44_792.png

Batman Arkham Knight:

BatmanAK_2022_01_11_15_57_16_709.png

Tales of Arise:

Tales of Arise_2021_12_18_19_34_37_220.png

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero:

MgsGroundZeroes_2021_12_18_19_44_46_346.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

My old Radeon 7700HD run in a friends older system pulling roblox with a respectable 55fps on avarage.

And my older R9 380 4GB is still pulling strong in another friends rig to this day. (2017 i think i buyed that card)

The title looks kinda misleading or kind of clickbaity to say "nah, your too old" but ah well 😄, life goes on haha.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

ok, so... GTX 480

is really a DX10 card and "not a DX11"

like Nvidia say it is (those liars lol) 😄

What drivers were used for the GTX-780ti F1-2021 tests?

I've been encountering very frequent crashes / freezes lately with a GTX-770, that feel driver-related.

I tired the nimez drivers for my AMD 7850 using to hook more display's on the computer. Had no issue loading the drivers. For reference was running windows 11 drivers for it before. Computer is running 8080k intel cpu(OC 5Ghz all core). 48Gb ram, 1070ti gpu and amd 7850, 

The card used to have issue render youtube video though firefox at 4k. Handle it much better.  Note running youtube at 4k is tough for 1gb vram. System is reporting 94% vram usage on that card. Might have to look up video how to reapply thermal paste on card. Card has never been pulled apart.  I have 6 screens attached to machine. 

I guess one of the nice things about older Nvidia and AMD hardware is how much less locked down it is, BIOS modding is possible until the 10 series for Nvidia. For AMD depending the card you can have unlimited power (almost) via registry shenanigans or flash the card BIOS with custom stuff pretty easily. I'm slowly playing with a 2GB blower GTX 760 and having a little fun, got it up to +150 core (1250mhz) and +200 (3200mhz) memory stable for a whopping 3300pts in Heaven on Basic preset. Not too bad for old stuff and def in the higher end of what a GTX 760 does.

I recently built a system for a friend with a GTX 960. It didn't deliver overly stable framerates in AAA games, but it was still very much playable.

I also find game streaming to be a really good option for singleplayer, to the point where it's a completely valid way to play modern games on my 12 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop.

My GTX 1070 is probably way too modern for this list, but it's still going very strong after like 6 years now. 100+ fps in Dirt Rally 2.0 on 1440p, and never dips below 60 frames on medium-high settings on 1080p on all newer games.  

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Hey,

any so it seems like the Lost Ark is listed twice for the GTX 480. Once as runs and once more as does not run, so does it or does it not run?

I'd be really interested in knowing, since I have an old 480 lying around and would like to try out Lost Ark in the future.

The exact time stamp for the list is: 2:11

Are there any other graphics cards that come into this category, unsupported but still run games or custom drivers? I am thinking about buying one for games before 2015 or around that time and also emulation.

Thank you in advance

22 hours ago, 7850OC said:

ok, so... GTX 480

is really a DX10 card and "not a DX11"

like Nvidia say it is (those liars lol) 😄

they never lied about it. it met every single DX11 feature level when it came out.

This video is wrong. I was just playing rdr2 at 1080p average 40fps with textures set to high and all else set to medium/off. I have a r9 380 4gb, i5 10400 and 16gb ram. Seems like you didn't do any testing... But otherwise it's an interesting video

On 3/22/2022 at 12:21 AM, SkyStreaker said:

and anti aliansing. 

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |