Opinions on ML140 RGB Elite for rad use & P500A cooling setup

Hey guys,

I have a 2-in-1 question, so first up let me ask this: 

What are your opinions on Corsair iCue ML140 RGB Elite fans, especially for radiator use? I can't seem to find that many reviews of them. 

I was thinking of replacing stock fans on my H115i RGB Plat, but then again, those stock fans are ML140 Pro's so is it even worth it? Reading into tech specs it would seem that Elite's have a little less airflow max. airflow - ~83CFM vs Pro's 97CFM - whilst being quieter - 32 vs 37dB - and slower - 1600 vs 2000RPM. I don't really see any difference between blade designs, apart from AirGuide technology which supposedly "increases static pressure and concentrates airflow". Can anyone confirm or link me a review or something? Just curious.

So now for the second part of this question:

I'm switching from Enthoo Pro M to Eclipse P500A. My current cooling setup is H115i with stock fans as intake (Balanced performace mode) at the front with triple ML140 Pro's as exhaust (2 top 1 back, locked at ~1000RPM). 

Current temps on mild OC in Enthoo Pro M are as follows: CPU (3700X) 32' idle, 59' load, GPU (5700XT Nitro+) ~55' idle, 71' load. The GPU however, is mounted vertically on Phateks' own bracket, around ~3 inches from side glass panel.

I'm planning on putting all three ML140 Pro's as intakes locked at low RPM, since P500A front panel's logic is basically unlimited airflow, with H115i acting as top exhaust. My question is simple - is that enough exhaust or should I buy another ML140 Pro (love those fans) and mount it at the back for better cooling? 

Oh, and the GPU will still be mounted vertically, but using P500A's own mounting system, so much closer to side panel. Dunno if that's important with that intake potential.

TL;DR: 

1. Any non-review based opinions on Corsair ML140 RGB Elite fans for radiator use, especially as exhaust?

2. Is exhaust through 280mm AiO acceptable w/ triple ML140 Pro intake fans or should I add another 140mm exhaust fan at the back?

If u have corsair stuff alrdy, the ML140 is the best they got.
If u dont have corsair stuff..  dont do it

P14 ARGB 

4 hours ago, Sawbar said:

Hey guys,

I have a 2-in-1 question, so first up let me ask this: 

What are your opinions on Corsair iCue ML140 RGB Elite fans, especially for radiator use? I can't seem to find that many reviews of them. 

I was thinking of replacing stock fans on my H115i RGB Plat, but then again, those stock fans are ML140 Pro's so is it even worth it? Reading into tech specs it would seem that Elite's have a little less airflow max. airflow - ~83CFM vs Pro's 97CFM - whilst being quieter - 32 vs 37dB - and slower - 1600 vs 2000RPM. I don't really see any difference between blade designs, apart from AirGuide technology which supposedly "increases static pressure and concentrates airflow". Can anyone confirm or link me a review or something? Just curious.

So now for the second part of this question:

I'm switching from Enthoo Pro M to Eclipse P500A. My current cooling setup is H115i with stock fans as intake (Balanced performace mode) at the front with triple ML140 Pro's as exhaust (2 top 1 back, locked at ~1000RPM). 

Current temps on mild OC in Enthoo Pro M are as follows: CPU (3700X) 32' idle, 59' load, GPU (5700XT Nitro+) ~55' idle, 71' load. The GPU however, is mounted vertically on Phateks' own bracket, around ~3 inches from side glass panel.

I'm planning on putting all three ML140 Pro's as intakes locked at low RPM, since P500A front panel's logic is basically unlimited airflow, with H115i acting as top exhaust. My question is simple - is that enough exhaust or should I buy another ML140 Pro (love those fans) and mount it at the back for better cooling? 

Oh, and the GPU will still be mounted vertically, but using P500A's own mounting system, so much closer to side panel. Dunno if that's important with that intake potential.

TL;DR: 

1. Any non-review based opinions on Corsair ML140 RGB Elite fans for radiator use, especially as exhaust?

2. Is exhaust through 280mm AiO acceptable w/ triple ML140 Pro intake fans or should I add another 140mm exhaust fan at the back?

so fan specs are known to be not true. gn is working on a way to test fans it will just take a bit of time but its in the works so hold off.

the differences from the 2 fans probably not much. imo not worth the upgrade. if you want max profromace the phantec t30 is the best fan. and if you want argb you can add a phantec halo to it.

this guy on yt test nose (by ear) of a fan and the rpm

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

If u have corsair stuff alrdy, the ML140 is the best they got.
If u dont have corsair stuff..  dont do it

P14 ARGB 

Honestly I'm not even considering anything other than ML series at this point, or rather any fans other than Corsair's. Over the years I just had a great track record with their stuff, especially cooling/PSUs. I may be a little fanboy-ish towards them, don't judge.

I asked, because my system is 2yrs old and those ML140 RGB Pro came free with the AiO, so I thought why not upgrade them. I'm just wondering if the Elite's are Corsair's absolute best of the best. 

13 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

if you want max profromace the phantec t30 is the best fan. and if you want argb you can add a phantec halo to it.

But there are also Noctua's NF-A14 industrial and other fans one could say have best performance - depends on the case, system specs, ambient temp. As you said, tech specs are known to not be true, but I'm guessing that within one manufacter's lineup those number's should offer at least some guidance.

My absolute top priority is quiet operation under all loads without thermal throttling everything, rather than outright best fan performance. I do long hours of digital drawing without headphones, so constant whoosh'ing would drive me crazy.

What about cooling setup - is 280mm AiO as exhaust generally speaking enough or should I add another exhaust fan?

I also just wondered about sticking with rad at the front but using my non-RGB ML's (I know, blasphemy) and getting like 4 x LL120 as exhaust or something. 

37 minutes ago, Sawbar said:

Honestly I'm not even considering anything other than ML series at this point, or rather any fans other than Corsair's. Over the years I just had a great track record with their stuff, especially cooling/PSUs. I may be a little fanboy-ish towards them, don't judge.

I asked, because my system is 2yrs old and those ML140 RGB Pro came free with the AiO, so I thought why not upgrade them. I'm just wondering if the Elite's are Corsair's absolute best of the best. 

But there are also Noctua's NF-A14 industrial and other fans one could say have best performance - depends on the case, system specs, ambient temp. As you said, tech specs are known to not be true, but I'm guessing that within one manufacter's lineup those number's should offer at least some guidance.

My absolute top priority is quiet operation under all loads without thermal throttling everything, rather than outright best fan performance. I do long hours of digital drawing without headphones, so constant whoosh'ing would drive me crazy.

What about cooling setup - is 280mm AiO as exhaust generally speaking enough or should I add another exhaust fan?

I also just wondered about sticking with rad at the front but using my non-RGB ML's (I know, blasphemy) and getting like 4 x LL120 as exhaust or something. 

well the t30 is expensive and is only 120mm size but it seems to beat everything. alot of fan testing has not been done like i said no one had a way to really test fans till now.

the test was swap this fan with this fan and see what happens test but with out all the factors documented its unclear why the fan was better.

so what fan dose better for push vs pull who knows. we reached a point were its good enough. people that want max profroamce will have to sacrifices noise. 

the bigger the cooling the lower noise it can be. i run a D15 with my 6600K  well over kill but its un audible at idle with the low noise adapter. (it will be water cooled thow)

i dont no how your set up is i need pics of the case instead of asking a million questions.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

56 minutes ago, Sawbar said:

i dont judge 🙂  but we kinda know now that MLs are not very quiet. best airflow or best for watercooling (rads)

another thing to note is when the fan test happens and cheap fans beat expensive fans the price will adjust according. we see this with all the time.

54 minutes ago, NorKris said:

i dont judge 🙂  but we kinda know now that MLs are not very quiet. best airflow or best for watercooling (rads)

Depends, if you hit that sweet spot with RPMs they are practically inaudible (at least to my ears), but I guess that's true for all fans. I know ML's are load at high RPM's, but no sane person has their fans set at 100% speed all the time anyway. I mean PWM exists for a reason 🤷‍♂️ 

@thrasher_565

Mate, why would you need pics of the case? You mentioned GN - they did a video on P500A, this case has basically unrestricted airflow through front panel since it's full mesh and has great both thermal and noise performance.

I asked two simple questions - is there evidence that ML140 Elite's are better than Pro's and is 280mm rad as exhaust with these fans optimal since that case has unrestricted intake and plenty of cooling potential. 

That Phanteks T30 may be the best performer, but I hate how it looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Corsair just does it for me, with performance I'm happy with to boot. I'm just that sort of a guy, that matches all parts to a fault.

I know that usually exhaust rads give you higher CPU temps, while intake rads give you worse GPU temps, that's pretty well documented. What I wonder (and hoped that an owner of P500A could confirm) is if that case manages to diminish the cons of mounting rads as exhaust rather than intake. That front panel (pic attached) is just mesh, nothing more, not even a dust filter, because Phanteks wanted to maximize the airflow. 

Edit:

@thrasher_565

I used 'search' to confirm no-one asked about AiO placement in this case before me and you pop up in quite a few threads my friend - so you are familiar with the case, why ask for pics then? 🤔

PH-EC500ATG_DBK-03.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Sawbar said:

Depends, if you hit that sweet spot with RPMs they are practically inaudible (at least to my ears), but I guess that's true for all fans. I know ML's are load at high RPM's, but no sane person has their fans set at 100% speed all the time anyway. I mean PWM exists for a reason 🤷‍♂️ 

@thrasher_565

Mate, why would you need pics of the case? You mentioned GN - they did a video on P500A, this case has basically unrestricted airflow through front panel since it's full mesh and has great both thermal and noise performance.

I asked two simple questions - is there evidence that ML140 Elite's are better than Pro's and is 280mm rad as exhaust with these fans optimal since that case has unrestricted intake and plenty of cooling potential. 

That Phanteks T30 may be the best performer, but I hate how it looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Corsair just does it for me, with performance I'm happy with to boot. I'm just that sort of a guy, that matches all parts to a fault.

I know that usually exhaust rads give you higher CPU temps, while intake rads give you worse GPU temps, that's pretty well documented. What I wonder (and hoped that an owner of P500A could confirm) is if that case manages to diminish the cons of mounting rads as exhaust rather than intake. That front panel (pic attached) is just mesh, nothing more, not even a dust filter, because Phanteks wanted to maximize the airflow. 

Edit:

@thrasher_565

I used 'search' to confirm no-one asked about AiO placement in this case before me and you pop up in quite a few threads my friend - so you are familiar with the case, why ask for pics then? 🤔

PH-EC500ATG_DBK-03.jpeg

its so i can rule out other things like fan place meant, fan direction, gpu and all that. its a grate case.

as for the dust filter its built in to the front mesh.

i cant answer the question what fan is better. and probably no one else can ether.  so ill leave it at that. gl with w/e you decide.

7 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

its so i can rule out other things like fan place meant, fan direction, gpu and all that. its a grate case.

as for the dust filter its built in to the front mesh.

i cant answer the question what fan is better. and probably no one else can ether.  so ill leave it at that. gl with w/e you decide.

Huh, gotcha. Well in that case I would have gladly provided you with pics, but unfortunately I don't even have the case yet. It's due to arrive on Tuesday and since I don't have much free time I was hoping to get some answers earlier, so I can just transfer my system from one case to another without experimentation.

I might as well try both rad placements with fans that I have, check the thermals and update this thread as a point of reference for anyone who wants to build in this case and decide about their cooling options in advance.

2 minutes ago, Sawbar said:

Huh, gotcha. Well in that case I would have gladly provided you with pics, but unfortunately I don't even have the case yet. It's due to arrive on Tuesday and since I don't have much free time I was hoping to get some answers earlier, so I can just transfer my system from one case to another without experimentation.

I might as well try both rad placements with fans that I have, check the thermals and update this thread as a point of reference for anyone who wants to build in this case and decide about their cooling options in advance.

best way to know is to test it. there a someone on here that did a test for his setup and documented his findings

generally fans on radiator should use high static pressure ones

afaik in corsair camp only ML140 & SP140 fits the bill for rads, although they're way low on the ladder

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini