pc won't recognize m.2 with gpu plugged in, gpu won't display when m.2 is recognized.

mxk

I was building my friend's new PC today and I decided to turn it on before I put it in the case to see if anything was wrong.

And there is something wrong. At first, this m.2 drive wouldn't pop up in the drive to choose to install windows. I had the GPU in PCIe slot 2 and the m.2 in m.2 slot 1, because the NH D15 was too big with two fans for slot one. I tried moving the GPU to slot 1 but it still wouldn't work. I used his old SSD with windows installed and it turned on fine, right to the lock screen. But the m.2 drive wasn't in the disk management.

When I used the integrated graphics, the m.2 drive was recognized and I was able to create a partition. When I tried booting with the GPU and m.2 drive again, it either wouldn't display from the card or the drive wouldn't be recognized.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the PCIe lanes..? I've never dealt with this issue before but I do remember that m.2 drives function differently than SATA and can conflict with GPUs/anything in the PCIe slots.

Thoughts? I'm really stumped and I want to get his PC running. It works fine but he needs windows on this new drive, not the old one.

i9 10900k

Aorus z590 master

Asus tuf gaming 3080

crucial p5 1tb m.2 nvme

I used to browse here on the forums a lot and liked to help people out. I've been able to fix every issue thats appeared during a build, but I'm unsure on this one.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

13 minutes ago, mxk said:

Aorus z590 master

z590 have certain m.2 slot disabled for 10th gen CPU due to lacking of pcie lanes (16 vs 16+4), might have to read the manual for that

though, skimping thru the manual, i cant see any reason why the pcie slot will be disabled if you plug in an m.2, manual says it'll disable sata ports instead

and the 2nd pcie x16 slot (x8 electrically) should be directly from the CPU and shouldnt be affected, so idk either

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

z590 have certain m.2 slot disabled for 10th gen CPU due to lacking of pcie lanes (16 vs 16+4), might have to read the manual for that

though, skimping thru the manual, i cant see any reason why the pcie slot will be disabled if you plug in an m.2, manual says it'll disable sata ports instead

and the 2nd pcie x16 slot (x8 electrically) should be directly from the CPU and shouldnt be affected, so idk either

weird, because the sata ports worked with the sata ssd and sata hdd. I'll take a look thru the manual. Is there something maybe I need to enable/disable..?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Hm maybe I should update the bios? Honestly no clue guess I'll just try.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

4 minutes ago, mxk said:

Is there something maybe I need to enable/disable..?

i dont think so, normally it's disabled automatically if you plug in an m.2 drive in a specific slot, the manual have a table for that around page 15 iirc

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i dont think so, normally it's disabled automatically if you plug in an m.2 drive in a specific slot, the manual have a table for that around page 15 iirc

It looked like just some installation instructions around pg15. I'm sitting here and can boot to bios and even to the windows usb I made, but it just won't show up in the disk management even though its plugged in to slot 1. 

initially I thought the m.2 drive was a dud until I was able to turn on the pc using integrated graphics and the old sata ssd with windows. I made the partition and everything and it was there but with the gpu it just doesn't want to work. Its so strange.

It says on page 23 at the bottom that only 11th gen supports this... It can't mean using m.2 in general right? It literally worked without the gpu...

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

14 minutes ago, mxk said:

It says on page 23 at the bottom that only 11th gen supports this... It can't mean using m.2 in general right? It literally worked without the gpu...

afaik, only the slot that comes from CPU will be affected, so probably only one m.2 slot

and my bad, it's page 32

image.png.857de1718f02425d5fbe56669a57ef23.png

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

afaik, only the slot that comes from CPU will be affected, so probably only one m.2 slot

and my bad, it's page 32

image.png.857de1718f02425d5fbe56669a57ef23.png

Ahh that page I went through that one. I think you're right though, this doesn't indicate that that the m.2 nvme shouldn't be working, or did I read it wrong?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

and my bad, it's page 32

Looks like it's recognizing the drive when I have the card in pcie slot one and the m.2 in slot 3. I'm hoping it'll work with the car in slot 2 because the fan blocks the card from being in slot one and slot 2 should have the same bandwidth

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

From what I find the CPU itself only has 16 PCIe lanes

image.png.1afa16707d16167c628026be008fdee4.png

And the top M.2 slot is connected to the CPU, so it has to share its lanes with the GPU and the GPU itself takes 16 lanes.

Try putting the m.2 in one of the other two m.2 slots. They get their lanes from the chipset.

The bottom m.2 slot will disable SATA slot 4 and 5

image.png.af11a11df2800442b525bf644de704ab.png

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

2 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

From what I find the CPU itself only has 16 PCIe lanes

image.png.1afa16707d16167c628026be008fdee4.png

And the top M.2 slot is connected to the CPU, so it has to share its lanes with the GPU and the GPU itself takes 16 lanes.

Try putting the m.2 in one of the other two m.2 slots. They get their lanes from the chipset.

The bottom m.2 slot will disable SATA slot 4 and 5

image.png.af11a11df2800442b525bf644de704ab.png

Yeah, thats def it. I must've been too confused and stressed from it not initially working and I didn't try all the possible combos. I decided switching some more stuff around it's working now. Thanks Brah

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra