Thinking of switching to iPhone

DaveStatteo

So I currently have a Pixel 5 which is a very MEH phone, like it's fine but it has weird glitches and for some reason the USB port on mine is super loose so it's hard to reliably charge or have connected to the car.

I've sort of been looking at a new phone so the main candidates were the pixel 6 pro or maybe splurge on the S22 ultra because I like the stylus for taking notes and drawing out ideas on the go. Then I don't know if it's boredom and I want something new to play with but I started looking at the iPhone 13 max pro.

I haven't had an iphone since i think the 3s, so for anyone who has made the switch from android to iphone recently are you happy with it? 

What is the apple car play experience like compared to android auto? Is itunes still a nightmare program? Is there anything from android you miss? How easy was swapping over all your info and contacts?

If you're going to tell me not to switch then which android phone would you suggest I get or wait for? Just assume cost isn't really a factor, I use my phone enough that I'll pay what I need for the best experience and it needs to be an all rounder but it's not like I'm doing any heavy gaming on it or need it to be a certain size 

I just swapped a couple months ago. LG Wing to 13 Pro Max.

14 minutes ago, DaveStatteo said:

What is the apple car play experience like compared to android auto?

I don't use either of these so I can't help here.

Is itunes still a nightmare program?

Once again, I use Spotify so I haven't touched iTunes yet.

Is there anything from android you miss?

Just game purchases/book purchases. I haven't ran into something that doesn't have an Apple form either in the same name or by a different maker.

15 minutes ago, DaveStatteo said:

How easy was swapping over all your info and contacts?

Download an app on your Android, and go. 

So far, 2 months or so later I have no regrets. I swapped because I got tired of phones acting up after that magic one year or so mark, so we'll see if it was worth it for me. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

22 minutes ago, DaveStatteo said:

You basically have no use for iTunes with a modern iPhone. The only point where you would use it is if you have a local media library that you want to put on your iPhone. In that case, simply put all your songs in a folder somewhere on your PC, link that folder to iTunes by dragging it into iTunes, plug in your iPhone, and hit sync. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

50 minutes ago, DaveStatteo said:

What is the apple car play experience like compared to android auto? Is itunes still a nightmare program? Is there anything from android you miss? How easy was swapping over all your info and contacts?

I found car play was a better experience then Android Auto. HOWEVER, keep in mind the last Android device I had was the One Plus 3T. So Im not sure if any changes and such have improved the product. 

iTunes is dead in Apple's eye. I have the last generation Intel MacBook Pro, iTunes does NOT exist on Mac OS. Apple Music took over. iTunes still exists for Windows for the time being but I dont even then you need to worry about iTunes anymore. 

Swapping contacts should be easy. If I remember correctly you can log in to your google account and pull from their. 

The only negatives I have about Apple's ecosystem has to deal with their family grouping. So if you and members of your family all have iPhones or Apple devices you can create a family. This allows you to share cloud storage and other apple services. For example my sister has Apple TV+ and because Im part of the family so do I. The issue is I periodically have to put the CVC code from my sisters credit card in, in order to make purchases via the App Store. Even if Im using my own card or have gift card balance. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, DaveStatteo said:

I haven't had an iphone since i think the 3s, so for anyone who has made the switch from android to iphone recently are you happy with it? 

Extremely. I've had flagship Android devices since the Galaxy S3 up to the OnePlus 8 Pro and I didn't find anything wrong with them, I just decided to see what the iPhone hype was about so I picked up a 12 Pro Max. I have never really had a problem with Apple's hardware, it's just the company and decisions they make that irk me but this being my only Apple product, I don't think about it too much. Its been a very solid experience. There is a real joy to how well things just work without having to put much thought into it.

What is the apple car play experience like compared to android auto?

I never used Android Auto as the first car I got with the capability of using either I got just after I got this phone. So far I'm extremely happy with CarPlay, I can't tell you the last time I used my cars actual interface as I'm in CarPlay 100% of the time.

I've never once needed to use iTunes. I'm not sure what its purpose would be?

Is there anything from android you miss?

Yes, but it might be dumb to some. Contextual options in notifications. For example, I watch a lot of Youtube and am subscribed to many channels. I can't watch things during the day so with Android I would get a notification and there would be a contextual option in each Youtube notification for Watch Later. With iPhone, individual applications aren't allowed their own specific contextual options inside notifications so now I have to just either click the notification and start the video playing to hit watch later, or just dismiss it, open Youtube, go to Subscriptions and hit watch later that way. Annoying but i'm over it at this point. 

How easy was swapping over all your info and contacts?

With Android I was heavily invested in the Google ecosystem and thankfully with iPhone, I'm still able to be. All my contacts came over through Google and there was no issue there. I didn't really need to bring anything else unless you have something specific I might just not be thinking of it.

If you're going to tell me not to switch then which android phone would you suggest I get or wait for? Just assume cost isn't really a factor, I use my phone enough that I'll pay what I need for the best experience and it needs to be an all rounder but it's not like I'm doing any heavy gaming on it or need it to be a certain size 

I've really disliked what Samsung was doing back when they had that Fisher Price UI but that was the old Galaxy S1 through 6-7, 8 maybe? Those phones really pushed me to OnePlus which I loved. I had the OnePlus, 3T, 5T, 6T and 8 Pro but eventually they lost the plot. Nothing really unique, especially the price. I think if I went back to Android it would be a flagship Galaxy at this point. 

Thanks for the advice everyone! 

Just found out you can't use your Apple wallet for the public transport in my city which is a bit of a deal breaker for me unfortunately

I'm trying to pick between waiting for the next Pixel device (my 4XL quite literally hasn't been more than 10 miles from home, since I bought it after lockdowns started) and waiting for the next iPhone.

Ideally, I'd like the next iPhone to have USB-C (which the perennial rumors seem a little more believable this year).  If that happens, it will make my decision a lot harder, because everything in my house is USB-C as it is, and I don't want to figure out all that mess.

The 4XL is supposed to be a premium device, but my husband's Moto X4 is over 4 years old, and it's still chugging along -- battery issues aside -- and my 4XL just seems to get worse and worse, and the batter life isn't all that great anymore.  Remember, I've not even left town with my phone.  Heck, I've barely left my apartment.

I hope both are good, because while I don't want to have to choose, I'd rather choose than have a choice made for me.

10 hours ago, DaveStatteo said:

So I currently have a Pixel 5 which is a very MEH phone, like it's fine but it has weird glitches and for some reason the USB port on mine is super loose so it's hard to reliably charge or have connected to the car.

I've sort of been looking at a new phone so the main candidates were the pixel 6 pro or maybe splurge on the S22 ultra because I like the stylus for taking notes and drawing out ideas on the go. Then I don't know if it's boredom and I want something new to play with but I started looking at the iPhone 13 max pro.

CarPlay >>> android auto

You literally don’t have to use iTunes ever with the iPhones and haven’t for close to a decade now. 
there’s an app on android that apple has made to swap everything over.

I can't think of anything worse! Whenever I have to use or try to fix someones iPhone it just seems fiddly. Sure there have some nice features but just prefer the usability of android all day long. Don't even need to mention the price increase. 

I'm due an upgrade soon but my current Oppo reno 4 pro is performing fine so for once might not actually upgrade immediately!

On 3/12/2022 at 2:24 AM, Donut417 said:

The only negatives I have about Apple's ecosystem has to deal with their family grouping. So if you and members of your family all have iPhones or Apple devices you can create a family. This allows you to share cloud storage and other apple services. For example my sister has Apple TV+ and because Im part of the family so do I. The issue is I periodically have to put the CVC code from my sisters credit card in, in order to make purchases via the App Store. Even if Im using my own card or have gift card balance. 

The cause for this is likely due to your apple id in the family sharing group is setup as a "child" account. 

26 minutes ago, Umberto said:

The cause for this is likely due to your apple id in the family sharing group is setup as a "child" account. 

Nope. I’m set as adult. It’s a known issue and heavily documented. In Apples eyes it’s working as intended. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Nope. I’m set as adult. It’s a known issue and heavily documented. In Apples eyes it’s working as intended. 

Oh, it's "Family purchases and payments" that is the culprit. If your sister disables that you will still be able to share subscriptions from apps that offers family sharing (all Apple services do), but purchases will be billed to each separate apple id. 

1 hour ago, Umberto said:

Oh, it's "Family purchases and payments" that is the culprit. If your sister disables that you will still be able to share subscriptions from apps that offers family sharing (all Apple services do), but purchases will be billed to each separate apple id. 

The issue is she has kids on the plan. Which is probably why thats enabled. 

On 3/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, irishbeast said:

I can't think of anything worse! Whenever I have to use or try to fix someones iPhone it just seems fiddly. Sure there have some nice features but just prefer the usability of android all day long. Don't even need to mention the price increase. 

I'm due an upgrade soon but my current Oppo reno 4 pro is performing fine so for once might not actually upgrade immediately!

How is it fiddly exactly?

18 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

How is it fiddly exactly?

Just me opinion but seems to take more clicks to get what I want. Not very intuitive etc.  Just feel android is more user friendly. 10 years ago I would have said iPhones were easier but don't feel they are anymore

1 hour ago, irishbeast said:

Just me opinion but seems to take more clicks to get what I want. Not very intuitive etc.  Just feel android is more user friendly. 10 years ago I would have said iPhones were easier but don't feel they are anymore

Just search shit dude most of the time what you’re looking for is in Siri suggested 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 6:29 PM, DaveStatteo said:

I switched from a galaxy note (8 maybe, cant remember) to a iphone X years ago. I was the biggest android guy known to man. Flashing custom ROMs, tinkering with every last thing. I used my girlfriend at the time (fiancé now)'s iphone, which was like an iphone 7 mind you, nothing great, and I never wanted to put it down. It is just straight up better in every meaningful way. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 3/11/2022 at 6:45 PM, IkeaGnome said:

I just swapped a couple months ago. LG Wing to 13 Pro Max.

I don't use either of these so I can't help here.

Once again, I use Spotify so I haven't touched iTunes yet.

Just game purchases/book purchases. I haven't ran into something that doesn't have an Apple form either in the same name or by a different maker.

Download an app on your Android, and go. 

So far, 2 months or so later I have no regrets. I swapped because I got tired of phones acting up after that magic one year or so mark, so we'll see if it was worth it for me. 

This is THE biggest thing I loathed about Android phones. Even if you got the best of the best, they were horrifically slow after about a year. I used my Iphone X for YEARS and it never got 1% slower even. The battery is bad, and that's why I recently upgraded to the 11 pro max

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface