LGA 1700 and bending?

Edit info on the subject is kinda all over the place if I'm misinformed please let me know.

So I just bought a brand new i9 12900k (It was on sale for 500 so seemed like a good deal). Also my Mobo is the MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard for reference. I checked compatibility on everything like RAM and a mobo with a decent power design. Everything seemed good but it wasn't till after I bought it that I learned about LGA 1700 and it's horrible retention mechanism that causes bending and denting the IHS as well. To be clear I have not installed it at all yet and I'm not just curious about the washer mod. I wanna know what if anything I can do to keep things from bending in the first place. People go on and on bringing up the washer mod and some say it works well and others say it only drops like 3 degrees but they are doing the washer mod after things go south. Mine is unused so far. That's all I care about really keeping it looking normal. So like could I buy an aftermarket stronger backplate or I don't even know 100% what is causing the bending. I've heard that it's not every board. I plan to use this build for many years down the road and I don't want it warping like cheap plastic. PS if your not sure what I'm on about check Reddit it's all over the place on the forums.

Thanks for any tips.

If things work out I kinda wanna be on this mobo/cpu till like 2030. I know that seems like a long time but I think it has the performance to last me that long. LIke I said I'm just worried about long term damage. So you think everything will be fine if I use the LGA 1700 bracket?

10 minutes ago, captain_cereal_hands said:

I'm just worried about long term damage

Intel does a ton of R&D on the socket, including long term testing to make sure the CPUs will be fine being installed and run for years. I wouldn't worry about it. 

37 minutes ago, captain_cereal_hands said:

I don't even know 100% what is causing the bending.

It's because the retention mechanism only holds down the center of the CPU, and because the CPU is oblong it bows while it's in the socket. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

It's because the retention mechanism only holds down the center of the CPU, and because the CPU is oblong it bows while it's in the socket. 

That's what I had thought but wasn't for sure.

3 hours ago, captain_cereal_hands said:

Edit info on the subject is kinda all over the place if I'm misinformed please let me know.

So I just bought a brand new i9 12900k (It was on sale for 500 so seemed like a good deal). Also my Mobo is the MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard for reference. I checked compatibility on everything like RAM and a mobo with a decent power design. Everything seemed good but it wasn't till after I bought it that I learned about LGA 1700 and it's horrible retention mechanism that causes bending and denting the IHS as well. To be clear I have not installed it at all yet and I'm not just curious about the washer mod. I wanna know what if anything I can do to keep things from bending in the first place. People go on and on bringing up the washer mod and some say it works well and others say it only drops like 3 degrees but they are doing the washer mod after things go south. Mine is unused so far. That's all I care about really keeping it looking normal. So like could I buy an aftermarket stronger backplate or I don't even know 100% what is causing the bending. I've heard that it's not every board. I plan to use this build for many years down the road and I don't want it warping like cheap plastic. PS if your not sure what I'm on about check Reddit it's all over the place on the forums.

Thanks for any tips.

The problem happens when using the previous socket mounting system when it uses a hard mount (no springs and or too much tension). The best is to use a cooler designed for the new socket. If you are using a previous gen cooler, you just need to make sure it isn't tightened to hard. Jay explored it I think and it only needs that extra 1mm.

When using I was using a hard mount aio and just backed off the screws a full turn each giving it that extra 1mm. I didn't get any bend in it and the 240 was enough to keep the 12900k cool under full load taking 200w.

5 hours ago, captain_cereal_hands said:

Thanks for any tips.

Here is a great video explaining the actual problem. 

Yes I've seen a few articles on the subject that was kinda why I asked here cause I got mixed opinions that were all over the place.

Good time to switch to AMD with the 5900x dropping down to ~$450, 5800x3D releaseing for $450, and 5700x releasing for $300, together with B350+X370 support. and MSI B550-A PRO for ~$129 being able handle everything up to and including 5900x.

6 hours ago, Bennett131 said:

It's what lead me to cancel my order in the end. The amount of mixed opinions I was reading and with my past experiences with Skylake, I just gave up and decided on AMD. Have you installed the CPU now?

No I haven't installed it but I did break the seal on the packaging but I never took it out of the plastic case. People have said with the correct LGA 1700 brackets your fine. It's only if you use LGA 1200 brackets or something but I don't have factual proof.

6 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Good time to switch to AMD with the 5900x dropping down to ~$450, 5800x3D releaseing for $450, and 5700x releasing for $300, together with B350+X370 support. and MSI B550-A PRO for ~$129 being able handle everything up to and including 5900x.

I got the 12900K cause it was on sale for 499.99 and the 5950X was 649.99

Also my computer is not functioning at all and my imac from 2013 is SLOW and making me ragey so I decided to upgrade now and use my current working 1080 and wait for 4000 series. I do regret not going with the 5950X a little but idk I already opened the box. I would be buying it there so maybe MIcroCenter could give me store credit.

I did my research on these parts thoroughly but who thinks to check the reviews on the Socket Retention Mechanism. I mean come on Intel get your multi-billion dollar shit together.

Edit: Also if it's more Motherboard manufacturers then why isn't Intel more outraged at manufacturers for not following their design that I would image they test, test and retest.

Reason I haven't installed it yet is cause the CPU cooler I had wasn't compatible. The sales guy at Microcenter was like the NH-D15 isn't enough for the 12900K you need a fancy AIO (I have an old Corsair AIO and an NH D-15) since I figured the D-15 wouldn't be able to handle a 12900K with Multicore Enhancement on (Only OC I'm looking for) I figured I would wait till I could get a compatible AIO that can handle it.

2 hours ago, Bennett131 said:

I feel your pain. I spent a week doing research on the parts and 20 minutes after ordering, I get a video suggestion about the issues. At first, I thought about sticking with my order because everything I found online was more or less 50/50, but it was my past experience with Skylake that pushed me to cancel. I'm going to stick with AMD for a while now. It just sucks that they're moving over to LGA as I think it is more prone to issues like this.

Yes but I think they are moving from PGA cause they can't get these kind of specs without LGA maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the cpu already.   Does the 1700 brackets raise everything 1mm?   I am wondering if I should get the M4, 1mm washers - how come NO REVIEWERS provide a link to where you get these washers?

One guy here posted a comment about all kinds of people using the wrong size of washer.   I dunno if that will happen - but, if it does, it's because NO REVIEWER posts a link of where to get these.   It's wild.   You would think with their links to motherboards and other parts - you could post a link to a set of washers that costs $10.   They expect everyone to know, I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Does the 1700 brackets raise everything 1mm?

It should actually be closer to 0.72mm

Spoiler

Comparison.thumb.jpg.8a7ed729eeaee3f2d876ea1f86494e86.jpg

Lga 17xx (left) Z axis is 7.53mm and Lga 12xx/115x is 8.25mm. 

4 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

You would think with their links to motherboards and other parts - you could post a link to a set of washers that costs $10.   They expect everyone to know, I guess. 

Checked any hardware stores? They usually have nut and bolt bins. Go to the washer section with a ruler. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 3/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, captain_cereal_hands said:

Reason I haven't installed it yet is cause the CPU cooler I had wasn't compatible. The sales guy at Microcenter was like the NH-D15 isn't enough for the 12900K you need a fancy AIO (I have an old Corsair AIO and an NH D-15) since I figured the D-15 wouldn't be able to handle a 12900K with Multicore Enhancement on (Only OC I'm looking for) I figured I would wait till I could get a compatible AIO that can handle it.

Did you decide to keep it.   I think ppl are using 1mm M4 washers to raise the retention bracket - but, I don't know if the 1700 mounts will do this.   The other question is all these cooler manufacturers provide a 1700 bracket - but is it sufficient to solve the problem?  The washers solve it - as we can see in the videos and the tests people do.   Just because one reviewer saw 'no change' - doesn't mean it didn't help.   There's a difference between a one-time test and over time, stressing the cpu.   Also, you would have to trust the cooler manufacturer - for them to know about this problem and design the 1700 mount bracket to do the same mechanics as the washers?  

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

It should actually be closer to 0.72mm

Reveal hidden contents

Comparison.thumb.jpg.8a7ed729eeaee3f2d876ea1f86494e86.jpg

Lga 17xx (left) Z axis is 7.53mm and Lga 12xx/115x is 8.25mm. 

Checked any hardware stores? They usually have nut and bolt bins. Go to the washer section with a ruler. 

I went to a Home Depot last week.   I was not impressed with the selection.   Maybe it's just my store.