Possible recover Windows from Found.000 folder?

R3w6

Well, I don't really know how it happened because a day before the PC shutdown correctly but the next day when I turned it on a "disk read error occurred" appeared (is new SSD and no have more than 5 months old). At first I tried everything, from checking for possible physical failures (sata cables, ram, etc) to trying to see if I could access the disk somehow. But no luck. In the course of testing I saw the recommendation from "SMART" said do a "chkdsk /F", so I inserted a Windows install to be able to run a command prompt.

After it finished (since it didn't boot) I went in with a linux distribution to check the disk, I see that all the folders and files (including Windows) were now "chk" under the "found.000" folder.

Here is my question and problem. I know there are programs to recover data or change the format and return those "chk" to how they should be....
but is there any way I can recover the OS? or I shouldn't had run "chkdsk" and it is already unrecoverable? Since the files are the least important to me.

Sorry, I didn't see the "Troubleshooting" sub-forum.

So, it sounds like a failed drive. This is the nature of the bathtub curve of hardware failure.
My big question here is why are you trying to recover the OS? Install a fresh copy of windows on a new drive, reuse the key (you'll likely have to go through a recovery phone call), reinstall your programs, grab data off the old drive, you're off to the races

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 3/9/2022 at 11:21 PM, OddOod said:

My big question here is why are you trying to recover the OS? Install a fresh copy of windows on a new drive

You are totally right, the easiest way is a new Windows installation. The problem was because of data that could only be obtained by accessing in that Windows, but there is not much to do.

Anyway, if I present this SSD in the current state (with ".chk" files and folders) they should accept the warranty, right? still in warranty period and I believe there is no better proof of failure than that.

Likely

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup